McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in September 2010.

Interview

The first round consists of a written test and two group cases. The test is challenging because of the time constraint, but the group cases are not stressful at all. The second round involved 3 1:1 case interviews with a personal experience interview as well. The cases are highly structured and the interviewer clearly wants you to succeed. The final round with partners seems highly random. In my interview, one partner asked me not to write notes, another clearly didn't like my ideas for a company-turnaround case, and the third was just cold. It was very different from the previous rounds. The partners seemed to treat me different from other candidates because I was a PhD student and not an MBA student.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a public school system facing a 100M budget deficit?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2010.

Interview

First round interview (as a PhD) involved a problem solving test (very difficult, mostly due to time constraints) and 2 group case study sessions. Second round interview was 3 one-on-one interviews (case study and personal experience interviews). Final round was 3 interviews just like in second round, but with partners and associate principal.

In between rounds, ample opportunity given to get feedback, practice cases, and network.

A long, drawout process, that makes you feel like you are already part of McKinsey by the end, even before you hear the final result (offer or no offer).

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in which you worked on a team and there was an internal conflict.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase, offer was essentially a take it or leave it type.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2010.

Interview

Three rounds - first round included a very difficult and fast paced aptitude test; second round consisted of three 1:1 interviews with associates and engagement managers; and third round was an interview with 2 partners and one associate principal.

McKinsey paid for travel for each round, even though they only advanced a fraction of those from the 1st round on. Very impressive company, remarkably organized, professional, and it's easy to feel like a part of the team before getting an offer.

One thing that stood out - personality matters. Be friendly and outgoing, and don't look too nervous. A lot of brilliant but awkward candidates who didn't get to move on to the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Cambridge, MA) in November 2010.

Interview

1st round - paper-based test to review quant skills - GMAT type questions but harder and more time consuming - also had group case session
    2nd round - 3 1:1 interviews - all include cases - two include behavioral questions

Loved the interview process though I did not go beyond the second round. The interviewers made me very comfortable and I learnt a lot in my first consulting interview. The McKinsey guys went out of their way to help us prepare for the Interview. Was assigned a McKinsey buddy to talk to and practice with. Had on-campus case practice sessions. Website is a great resource.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dallas, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

Applied online, and my background was a perfect fit for what they needed in the Operations Practice. I had a phone interview for the first round, and then 4 more rounds of interviews over 2 months. The timing was long and drawn out, but the interviews and interviewers were great, and I enjoyed each round. It was worth it when I got the offer!

Interview Questions

• The personal experience interview was very intense, and very aggressive.   1 Answer
    • The case questions were also very thorough and challenging   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I applied online on April 2010, I received a mail back in May 2010 requesting more info on my background and academics grade.
    Then I received another email in June requesting me to take a PST test. That I still have to take next week.
    Very long response time, but i guess there should be a lot of us applying.

Interview Questions

• What were your grade and why do you see yourself as a fit for MCKinsey ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in September 2008.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews.

Round 1: Phone interview.
    Round 2: Flew out to office for 3 interviews and one written test. Interviewed with two associates and on associate principal.
    Round 3: Flew out to office for 3 interviews. Interviewed with one partner, one associate principal, and one associate.

Flow of the interviews was always the same. #1. Ice breaker of "how are you doing", "how the weather", etc. #2. The get to know you phase--some questions about experience, times you made an impact, how you handle adversity. #3. The case portions--always from a "canned" script that was in front of them. Always included a frame the problem section, a math section, and a summarize with your insight section.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2007.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews - 2 either on campus on at an office and final rounds in the office
    Interviews get more difficult each round

Interview has 3 phases
    Resume interview - walk through your resume
    Case based interview - they give you a case and you work out the answers and numbers to that case
    Behavioral interview - talk about key experiences you had (e.g., accomplishments)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you accomplished something   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2009.

Interview

This is McKinsey, so everything was extremely professional throughout the process. I took the initial IWIA exam and passed, and in the week before the case interview there was a lot of help in terms of practice cases and meetings with Mckinsey consultants. The case interviews themselves were completely standard - no surprises. I just got unlucky and got a hard case, so didn't get called back.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in December 2008.

Interview

The firm use a case interview format. For a candidate, i would recommend to go through some of the case interview books (vault, wetfeet) as well as business school consulting club casebooks (google harvard business school casebook etc). The interviews are very well organized, with clear instructions on the firm's website, timely feedback on your performance during the last interview, and suggestions on the area you should improve during your next interview. All the interviewers and HR stuffs are very efficient, professional and friendly.

Interview Questions

• How do you define leadership?   1 Answer

Negotiation

It's a standard package with limited room for negotiation.