McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Associate Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2009.

Interview

first round consisted of 3 interviews from the firm, second round 3 interviews, and final interview 4 interviews. extremely professional with a mix of fit + case interviews. the process was seamlessly planned and the travel (interviewed at a remote office) was well arranged. interviewers were nice and thoughtful although the case interview part required rigorous intellect capacity. number crunching case was extremely difficult as it required analytical thinking and also questions such as "what else?" was challenging as i had to pick my brains a lot.

Interview Questions

• how many airplanes takes off from JFK a day? walk me through your logic.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2009.

Interview

Overall, it was a pleasant process. The case interview is a very important part of the overall interview. You need to prepare very well for it. I would suggest that interview candidates practice with other people before the real interview. And it is better to apply multiple similar companies to get some exposures to this type of interview. It is also important to prepare for experience interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you gives personal impacts.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in October 2008.

Interview

The overall interview process consisted of three rounds. The first round was an aptitude test followed by two practice group case sessions. The second round interview consisted of three separate interview. The first of these interview was a long case. The second and third interview were a mix of case and behavioral interviews. The decision round interview day consisted of four separate interviews with both case and behavioral interview components.

I enjoyed the people I met in McKinsey's Houston office.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in February 2007.

Interview

The interview process is almost entirely case-based. The case is the most important part of the interview. An interview will be asked to discuss a theoretical study that McKinsey is to undertake - an interviewee will need to be able to thoughtfully structure a problem and structure an approach to solving each of the questions asked.

Negotiation

There is no negotiation

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

Arrived and took at 60 minutes Problem Solving Test. The results of this exam was the primary indicator of making it to the next round. The exam consisted of simple math (heavy on fractions and percentages) and reading and understanding charts and graphs. Then we broke up for two hours of case interview workshop with other interviews many for practice for the next round. My understanding was that if you were on the cusp of the necessary score to be passed on to the next round then they would take your performance in the case interview into consideration.

Interview Questions

• Case on Cognac. Whether or not it was a good decision to enter new markets.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

Application requires essay on leadership. First round has multiple-choice test and group case workshops. Second round has three one-on-one interviews, which include cases and formal experience interviews. Third, decision, round procedures vary by office. It's a real machine line. There are lots of opportunities to talk to many McKinsey consultants over the course of the process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you have exhibited leadership   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2009.

Interview

I applied online as an APD. The first round consisted of a multiple choice test and 2 practice cases the were carried out in groups of 4. The test was moderately difficult and heavily focused on math. It is my understanding that they design the test such that most applicants will have to rush to finish. The practice cases were pretty informal but VERY helpful for later rounds. I don't really know, but I am assuming that they are looking to see if anyone is an automatic 'no' (ie. really poor people skills or hygiene) during the practice cases. I was assigned a "McKinsey Buddy" after the first round, and she turned out to be one of my interviewers on the practice case. She gave me a lot of honest feedback that I think really helped me in Round 2.

The second round consisted of 3 1-hour interviews, which were a mix of personal experience and case questions. I consider myself a highly analytical person, so I did not find the math in the cases to be too difficult. I did have to work harder at structuring my cases and thinking creatively. Also, one of my interviews was conducted via teleconference, which was not as awkward as it sounds. Less than a week after Round 2, one of my interviewers called me to tell me I had passed to Round 3. Again, she gave me a lot of honest feedback that I hope will help me in Round 3. I appreciated that McKinsey respects its applicants enough at this stage that they call everyone to tell them whether they would be moving on or not and to give them tips for improving in the future.

I have not scheduled my final round of interviews yet.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you worked on a team and one of the team members was difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in December 2009.

Interview

I received a pre-screening interview from a experienced hire recruiter. This is the first step in the MK process if you are not applying to the company via a school program. The recruiter contacts you to schedule a phone "conversation". Really, they are looking for whether you (1) Are a good fit for the firm (2) Have a good reason for why you want to go into management consulting and finally (3) Have a great reason for why MK. The conversation lasts anywhere from 30 minutes to about 1 hour and most of the conversation centers around your experiences. Specific questions include: (1) describing a time you were a leader (2) describe a time you had to overcome your teams objections on your plan, and where you successful?

The recruiter also takes you through the interview process and describes the case interviews that will come up if you get chosen to advance to the next round. Say the recruiter really likes you, he'll move you to the next round but the ultimate decision of whether you get to the next round rests on the office you're applying to. They take a look at your resume vs. their needs and decide whether they want you this year. The recruiter also gives you an "example" of a case interview which is basically an estimation question to gauge whether you a familiar with the case interview process. He says that your answer does not hurt in anyway - I'm not sure if that's true or not but I think it always looks better that you know what your talking about and have been practicing either way.

So, this is the basic phone interview from MK.

Interview Questions

• A case interview estimation question: How would you determine the weight of a jumbo jet.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in December 2009.

Interview

The whole process went basically as described on the company's website. First round - assessment test. Pass that, and second round of 1:1 interviews with associate consultants going over cases and experience/behavioral interviews. Third round is the same as second, but with partners. Very thorough and professional. Alas, I didn't receive an offer after the third round.

Interview Questions

• Questions regarding experience are intense. They seem to be looking for very specific skill set of leadership, problem solving, critical thinking and creativity.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Applied to the Insight Program; got the phone interview invitation; rejected but got 1st round interview; rejected after 1st round interview.

Interview Questions

• The problem solving test (PST) isn't very difficult. But don't be caught off guard in the case workshop session.   Answer Question