McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2012.

Interview

The 1st round for Advanced degree holders begin with a one-hour written test (practice tests can be found in McKinsey site) and proceed with two hours of break out sessions where a small group practices cases with consultants. The key of passing the written test is really about managing your time effectively. I first tried questions that do not seem to require heavy math or thinking and then went back to the missing questions. Though I wans't so sure of the result, somehow I passed the interview and got an invitation for the 2nd round.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in January 2011.

Interview

Interview process (case studies and behavioral interview) is well-documented and you get prepped for it. My advice, take some time to do some real "soul-searching" around what excites and motivates you - then be honest about it.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you didn't work come to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

PST test for one hour, then two group breakouts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2012.

Interview

2nd round interview at Silicon Valley office. The office looks like a typical Cali- 2 storey building, less impressive than its Los Angeles office. The interview is composed of two 50mins interviews with two associates (all with PhD background, ~2years of experience). All interviewers are well trained so they tend to explain everything before you go deep into the behavior part and case solving part.

Interview Questions

• They are very very structured in the way they bring up behavior questions - they want all the details.
      One interviewer is pretty cool. You can't read anything from his poker face.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2010.

Interview

APD candidate. Applied for Insight Engineering program via resume drop and 30 minute phone interview, which includes a case. Being selected to attend Insight gives an automatic interview for full time position.

Interview Questions

• A phone company is looking to expand profitability by introducing either a low-end or a high-end handset. What should they do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jersey City, NJ) in October 2012.

Interview

I am an APD and initially applied to the Insight program. Was not selected for the Insight, but they invited me for the first-round interview in the fall.
    First round at McKinsey is a 1-hour problem-solving test (PST), with 26 multiple choice questions testing quantitative or qualitative understanding of a business case (usually there are 3 cases in one test). The main difficulty is the time limit. I found useful to read questions first, and then skim the discussion before for relevant information - saves a lot of time. McKinsey website has 3 practice tests, and a few more can be found on the internet - practice them beforehand and you'll likely do well (I was getting 21 out of 26 on my practice tests). PST is followed by 2 one-hour breakout sessions -we were divided into groups of 4 and moderated by a McKinsey Associate. It was a fun exercise, and quite useful. They say it's not evaluative, but opinions differ.
    A couple of days after the 1st round I got an email saying that I passed. One nice thing about McKinsey recruiting is the amount of feedback they give. I was connected with two consultants who gave me feedback on my performance and answered my questions.
    Second round was about a week later, also in NY office, and consisted of 2 1-hour interviews with an Associate and an Engagement Manager. First 5 mins - introduction, then 15 mins of personal experience (tell me about a time you had to lead a team etc.). They ask very detailed questions about each situation. Then ~40 min case - very structured and with a lot of exhibits/ calculations. I thought that I didn't do a perfect job on one of the cases, but later got a call saying that I passed, and more feedback.
    Final round was in NJ office - 3 one-hour interviews with principals scheduled throughout the day. Structure is the same as 2nd round. Cases were actually less math-heavy. All PE questions were the same - most challenging leadership situation. So prepare different stories. I felt that I did not perform consistently well during these interviews, and a few days later they called and said I didn't get an offer. It was still a very useful experience.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected - regular McKinsey style cases and PE questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2012.

Interview

I was a APD (Advanced Professional Degree) candidate. The interview consisted of three rounds:

Round 1: You are invited to the McKinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) if you pass the resume screen. The test was difficult but doable if you practice with the sample tests online as well as 3rd-party simulation tests. After the PST we had two non-evaluative sessions of case practice. The decision to move you to the next round is based almost entirely on passing the PST.

Round 2: Face-to-face interview with junior consultants. Two sessions, each covering a Personal Experience and a Case Study.

Round 3: Similar to Round 2. Three sessions with PE + Case, but with more senior people (Partners, Associate Principals).

Overall, I found the interview process intense but enjoyable. The interviewers whom I had encountered were all very respectful and pleasant to talk to. Given the reputation of the Firm, the bar for performance was definitely high. The best advice I can give is to be structured, both with the Personal Experience part and the Case Study part. You will get a lot of support and useful information between the different rounds; heed the information and prepare wisely. In addition, enjoy the process. Have the mindset of going to a nice seminar where people argue about ideas. That mindset certainly helped me relax and appear confident.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you consider in addressing this client's issues?   1 Answer

Negotiation

You get a letter with the terms of offer and then you can sign it to accept the offer. Little room for negotiation.

Anonymous Employee in Florham Park, NJ

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Florham Park, NJ) in November 2009.

Interview

Very well structured, explained well up front...application with grades, then two rounds of interviews as well as one in-house aptitude test.

Interview Questions

• A case on growing revenues for new innovation in laboratory equipment   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very little negotiation - they do so much hiring it's hard to move their numbers..did get a little relo assistance.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The first round of the interview process involved a data interpretation/quantitative exam as well as 2 simulated group case study sessions. The second round involved two back-to-back one-on-one with current associates. Each interviewer asked me two behavioral questions, then did a case interview with me. Prior to the second round, you are required to submit your regional preferences, which may be a bit of a strategy game to select offices/regions with openings for your skillset.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2010.

Interview

Interview came over two days. Three interviews on the first day and two on the second. Each interview was thirty minutes of fit and a thirty minute case. The cases are manageable if you prepare. The fit interview is all about figuring out what your story is: why you want to do consulting and why mckinsey.

Interview Questions

• The cases are typical business cases that you can find examples of online.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation