McKinsey & Company Interview Questions in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

4.0

28 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Copy Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

This initial phone screening was just a quick walkthrough of my resume and skills; we discussed each position in chronological order, what my duties were, and how and why I changed positions over time. The interviewer mostly listened to me and guided the conversation from time to time to highlight certain points. It was very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• What was your reason for transitioning into your next position?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I found the fit portion very frustrating. There were no "tell me about yourself" or "why are you interested in McKinsey", they delved right into the behavioral question and asked for very specific details.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you resolved a conflict with your team members/ colleagues"   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

I only had one phone interview with McKinsey. Although I was not moved forward for the position I applied for, the internal recruiter got back to me in a timely manner and gave me detailed feedback and suggestions to improve my skills. It's hard to put a value on that kind of professionalism, but sadly it seems rare in this job market. In this same week, I applied for another positions where I did 3 phone interviews and never heard back - quite a contrast.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in March 2017.

Interview

Multiple phone calls and a writing assignment. This was to join McKinsey's Global Content team in Atlanta in a mid-career role. I applied online and was asked to do a fairly straightforward writing assignment--without many parameters. I turned it around within a day and had two positive phone interviews. However, things shut down pretty quickly when I was critical (honest) about what I thought about the quality (or lack thereof) of their content.

Interview Questions

• What do you think about our McKinsey Quarterly Publication and our online content?   1 Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2016.

Interview

I attended an on-campus info session, applied online, and got called for first round. Each McKinsey interview is about 10-15min PEI, 35-40min case. For SBA, you'll typically have six (6) of these total.

First round is two (2) interviews with relatively junior consultants at the firm, typically at the closest office to your university. Second round is four (4) interviews with senior associates and partners, on-site at your designated office preference.

A couple hours after my second round, I got a call from the partner that interviewed me to extend an offer.

Interview Questions

• McKinsey's Personal Experience Interview (PEI) is quite different from others in that you'll only be answering one question (i.e. telling one story) for 10-15 minutes. They really dig deep on every detail; they'll ask about the conversations you had, your thought processes, and conflicts. Every PEI question addresses one of the three main pillars (leadership, personal impact, drive & achievement).

I had five stories prepared in detail. I repeated stories from first round to second, but just make sure to not repeat a story within in the same round. Since the second round has four interviews, make sure to have at LEAST that many examples. I recommend 5-6 stories that you'll be able to tailor to address the specific question asked.

As far as cases go, there's really no element of surprise with McKinsey. Cases are interviewer led, meaning you'll be asked a series of questions throughout the discussion to help guide your thinking. All cases involve some sort of math. Be prepared to be pushed and questioned on your logic; this doesn't mean you're wrong, they just want to ensure you have good reasoning behind your hypothesis. My best advice would be to practice plenty of cases with partners or even on your own. Get comfortable with the case format and articulating your thoughts in a client-friendly manner.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Personal Experience Interview - in depth stories that highlight leadership qualities. Usually based around a team situation. Interviewers may probe with further questions.

Case Interview - Business Case Discussion. Usually consists of initial framing of the problem, math problems, chart analysis, and hypothesis formation.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you led a team through a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a behavioral interview followed by a case interview. For the final round, I spoke with three members of the office for an hour each. This was more behavioral based than I expected and I did not take the PST.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2015.

Interview

An one hour GRE or GMAT like written test followed by two rounds of group case study interviews. Try to move fast for the written test so that you can finish as many problems as possible.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. First round comprised of two interviews 50 minutes, each with a behavioral and case interview. Second round consisted of four interviews structured similar to the first round.

Interview Questions

• The behavioral interview is not your typical question answer session. They want to know who you are at a deeper level and this is your chance to shine. Know your story inside and out and be prepared to talk in detail about a particular situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try and negotiate.