McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2018

3.9

384 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in December 2017.

Interview

The Mckinsey interview process has two components: the case interview and the personal experience interview. The case questions are designed to test your critical thinking, problem solving, and communication style. The personal experience is designed to learn about your leadership, entrepreneurship, and conflict resolution skills. In my experience, both interview types were equally important, and in some ways the case is the easier of the two because as long as you use good logic, there's no wrong answer. As far as the PEI, if you don't have a story to tell that satisfies what they're looking for then it seems like it's an automatic no.

The thing that most people don't tell you is that the consultants conduct the interviews are very supportive--they're not there to trick you or intimidate you. In my experience they were super nice folks and even though I didn't get an offer I had a great time interviewing with the consultants and definitely learned a lot during the process

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time your leadership brought the best out of others

Tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Really friendly and respectful process. On-campus first round and on-site final round. Typically behavioral+case interviews. Enjoyed talking with the interviewers a lot. Many opportunity to reach out the people in the firm.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied on the company website. The first round is consist of 2 one-hour interviews. Both of the interviewers were very friendly. The cases are not too bad and they want to know very specific details of your answer for the behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation when you have conflicts with your teammates. How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I attend a target school (undergrad) so first round interviews took place on campus, and were conducted by current BAs (so one or two years out of undergrad). Second rounds were in the office. Cases were less structured despite the McKinsey standard format.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance when you convinced someone of your point of view or to take your recommended course of action.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

First round interviews took place through on campus recruiting -- two interviews, 1 hr each, with both fit and case questions. Second round interviews took place on location with a similar format, but with three interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you convinced a group to do something   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Detroit, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

2 back-to-back, 1-hour long interviews. About 20 minutes about one personal experience, and 30-35 minute case.

The Personal Experience Interview (PEI) was very different from any other interview I've had before. There was no "why consulting?" or "why McKinsey?" or "walk me through your resume", each PEI was focused on one question and they dove deeply into that one experience. Not your typical situation, action, result (STAR) interview.

The case wasn't too difficult if you know how to do cases. Their cases are interviewer-led, so make sure you practice interviewer-led cases before the interview, because it is a bit different.

The overall recruiting experience was the best I've seen. I applied on campus. They had a case workshop on campus. I received a "McKinsey Buddy", which is a Business Analyst in the office I was applying for who answered any questions I had about the interview process or McKinsey in general and ran through a case with me, completely non-evaluative. The week leading up to the interview, we received emails with interview tips from different BAs. They had a representative for "office hours" where they sat at a table at our school for two days to talk and answer any last minute questions you have. And after the interview, I didn't get the offer, but I received a phone call from one of my interviewers who gave me feedback on my interview. Overall, a very impressive, professional process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you led a team and you had to convince the team to do something they didn't want to do.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with a team member (spanning multiple touchpoints).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

First round 2 interviews with junior employees, final round 3 interviews with partners or associate partners. Very structured and the firm is explicit in what they look for. Sometimes they make you do one additional interview if they are undecided, but doesn't happen often.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Nice interviewer, but the VC was very glitchy. overall it was a good process. would recommend preparing more for case interviews. Nice interviewer, but the VC was very glitchy. overall it was a good process. would recommend preparing more for case interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

There are 2 in person interviews -- first round is 2, 1-hour long talks with 30 minutes for PEI and 30 minutes for a case. The cases are very structured, following particular questions one at a time. The PEI is interesting because the McKinsey folks will ask you to elaborate on specific details of your story, asking things like "what were you thinking" and "what did they do".

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

I first did a (very easy) online skills test. Interviews were for a BA position in one of the company's Southeast Asian offices. I did case coaching with a business analyst, who gave me very helpful feedback. All interviews were held on the same day. We did the first round of two interviews (mix of fit and case), right after which we were told if we are proceeding to the final round (three interviews), also on the same day. Cases were pretty straightforward, mostly on growth strategies and entering new markets.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult challenge.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had a difference in opinion with someone.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an achievement you are proud of - what did you do to obtain it and why you consider it an achievement.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to do a task in a short amount of time but you didn't know how to do it.   Answer Question