McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

3.9

357 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

First round 2 interviews with junior employees, final round 3 interviews with partners or associate partners. Very structured and the firm is explicit in what they look for. Sometimes they make you do one additional interview if they are undecided, but doesn't happen often.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2017.

Interview

Nice interviewer, but the VC was very glitchy. overall it was a good process. would recommend preparing more for case interviews. Nice interviewer, but the VC was very glitchy. overall it was a good process. would recommend preparing more for case interviews.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in October 2017.

Interview

There are 2 in person interviews -- first round is 2, 1-hour long talks with 30 minutes for PEI and 30 minutes for a case. The cases are very structured, following particular questions one at a time. The PEI is interesting because the McKinsey folks will ask you to elaborate on specific details of your story, asking things like "what were you thinking" and "what did they do".

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Two one hour interviews consisting of personal history and a case study. Held by two different interviewers, one right after the other. Used a video chat provided and set up by the company.

Interview Questions

• They asked for an example of a time when I had to convince a group to go in a direction that I wanted, they did not want to go in originally -- specific conversations.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in September 2017.

Interview

Resume drop, 2 first-round interviews, then 3 final-round interviews with 3 different partners at the office you are applying to. At the end it really is how lucky you are... some partners are just unfriendly and will give you a hard time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Louis, MO) in September 2017.

Interview

Two hour long interviews. The first ~20 minutes of each was the behavioral portion when you dive deep into one specific experience. The last ~40 minutes of each were a case interview that was interviewer lead. Usually there are a few more minutes at the end that is left for questions.

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about a time you had to convince someone to do something he or she didn't want to do.
      2) Tell me about a time you worked on a team and had to overcome an obstacle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in September 2017.

Interview

First round 2 interviewers, each gives you a behavioral question and a case. The behavioral section is just about one single experience you've had. They tell you almost immediately if you have an offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. I applied as a senior in college so the first round of interviews was at the local McKinsey office in Boston. As I put the NYC office as my top preference, the second and final round of interviews was at the office there.

The first round of interviews took place with mid-seniority staff, such as project managers. The second round was mostly with partners. I had 2 interviews for the first round and 3 interviews for the second.

Each interview consists of a couple of behavioral questions, followed by one or two cases. In some cases, they will show you data with an iPad and ask you to draw conclusions from it. More generally you'll be given an open-ended case and be expected to structure it and ask poignant questions to arrive at a solution. While preparing for cases I used several case books, most importantly Case Interview Secrets by Victor Cheng. I highly recommend reading this one - as beyond the standard case frameworks it will teach you how to structure arbitrary problems effectively so you'll be more adaptable.

For the behavioral questions, the most important thing is to remember your key stories in detail. McKinsey likes to dig into your answer to:

1) Make sure you're not giving a generic answer.
    2) Really get a good sense of what happened in the situation to understand how your skill set came into play.

Do not feel the need to over-rehearse your answer, it won't come off natural. Instead just make a few mental bullet points in your head about what skills the story highlights about you.

Overall I had a great interview experience. I found the people at McKinsey to be really friendly. I was not offered the position because at the time of my graduation I had little business experience. One of the partners was kind enough to reach out by phone (rather than a drier, generic e-mail) to inform me and give me advice. He gave great feedback that I took into consideration as I moved forward in my career.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time that you had a disagreement with someone. Why was there a disagreement and how did you persuade the person in disagreement with you to understand your perspective?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Unlike the method described at the workshop in the McKinsey offices, my interview for the Tokyo office was a 20 minute phone interview which included my introduction, questions about why consulting and why McKinsey, as well as a brief "case" (see below). The interview was conducted by an HR person.

Interview Questions

• What should Japan do to increase revenue for the Olympics?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The company has a great company culture, provides its employees with good benefits, and offers a flexible work schedule. Safety is a huge priority. Great place to raise a family.