McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

4.0

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Invite sent to top of my class for evening presentation about the firm. Followed by numerous discussions about my career aspirations with people from all tenures. Then a test (similar to GMAT math, but with not enough time to complete, no calculator, and penalized for wrong answers). Then 2 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Applied through my school's website. The first round of interviews was at the school with a current BA and an Associate Consultant in separate interviews. Each interview lasted one hour and was formatted the same, a case portion and a personal experience portion. The cases were not too considerably hard. Make sure you practice your consulting math and make sure your style aligns with what McKinsey is looking for.
    I was invited to the next round in Dallas, Texas, which is the office I wrote as my preference. They paid for everything and set me up in a very nice hotel within walking distance of the office. Their office was brand new and everyone there was very welcoming. This was the final round and consisted of four separate interviews each an hour long. They were formatted similarly to the first round with the cases being slightly harder.
    I did not end up getting the offer, but the overall experience was good and has prepared me well for future interviews. An area that I fell short was in my breakdown of the problem. Make sure you go continue to separate each bucket until you have MECE'd the problem.

Interview Questions

• Cases - just keep practicing, nothing too tricky here. People from McKinsey are very willing to get on the phone and practice with you. Take their advice.
      PEI - pretty typical: conflict, leadership, teamwork, goal-driven, failure. A few times they would mix these. For example "Tell me about a time you were the leader of something and a conflict arose. How did you deal with that? What did you learn?"
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

Case interview as always but more creative and difficult than other firms. Remember don't over prepare frameworks otherwise you gonna kill your own creativity. Besides the techniques, confidence is very important. Remember, most of people who apply to BA position have 1-4 years work experiences, not just new and fresh graduate students .

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Submitted application through the company website/college career website. Attended a case workshop on campus with all other applicants who received 1st round of interviews. Was given a "buddy" who was a BA, who ran 2 cases for me over the phone. Back-to-back 1st round of interviews at the office with senior BAs.

Interview Questions

• PEI: Tell me about a time when someone working in the same team as you was opposed to you/your ideas and how you went about resolving the conflict.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Seattle, WA) in October 2016.

Interview

On-campus recruiting from a non-target school. They did resume chats to help us revise before applying, then held pre-application mock case interviews.

Before first-round they held additional mock cases on campus & over the phone. Heard within 24 hours about moving to final round and received feedback on first round performance.

Total of 5 interviews (2x first round, 3x final round) each with case and personal experience.

Received feedback after final-round.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me about a time you faced disagreement in a team situation and how you resolved it. (x3)
      2. Tell me about a time you showed leadership on a team. (x2)
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2016.

Interview

Personal Experience Interview - in depth stories that highlight leadership qualities. Usually based around a team situation. Interviewers may probe with further questions.

Case Interview - Business Case Discussion. Usually consists of initial framing of the problem, math problems, chart analysis, and hypothesis formation.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you led a team through a difficult situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through my university's career website. I got a first-round interview on campus, which was a typical consulting interview: behavioral and a case. I found it really important to connect with the interviewer and find some sort of common ground.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you led a team.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter, and given a 30 minute phone screen covering the basics and reviewing my job history. Then I was given a 60 minute coaching session over the phone with a former McKinsey consultant to prepare me for the Case Interview. They also gave me a 30 minute phone case one week later and provided feedback. It was the most difficult interview I have ever done, but I learned a lot and even the interviewers are there to help guide you, they never trick you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to go against popular opinion.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Haven, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

Applying from College through On-Campus recruiting. We did personality test as well as skills tests. The overall process was great! I really liked the head recruiter and wish i got in but i didn't.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you faced a professional challenge   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in October 2016.

Interview

I applied through campus. Was contacted for a phone interview a week later (just a case, no behavioral), and then an onsite interview (2 cases + behavioral interviews). The phone interview was just a basic screen to make sure that you can talk in complete senses and have some idea of what a case interview is like. It also tests whether you can do math under pressure. The onsite interviews were not too different, except that they also involved behavioral questions, and that the cases involved figures that you had to interpret. Make sure you practice structuring the case upfront and delving into details in your beginning framework.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were part of a group and something went wrong. What did you do to fix the situation?   Answer Question