McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Everything is almost the same as the official website. Passed resume screening, did PST on Wednesday and 1st round interview on Friday. Next Monday night one of the interviewers called me to announce their decision and provide feedback. At the office they provided profile of everyone's interviewers, so that people can know their background and likely industry of the cases that may be used in the interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

Took the PST on campus on a Monday, had first round interviews at the office that week consisting of 2 case interviews. Notified of final round interviews the following week, and flew to the office that Friday. Was told I had an offer a few hours after the final interviews (3 case interviews with Partners)

Interview Questions

• What is something that you have been thinking about recently? (Philosophically, something about what's going on in the world)   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

First round interview: 1 case = 15 minute behavioral based on one initial question and some follow up questions. 45 minute case. 2 cases for the first round.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinary. Cases are straightforward. They ask a lot of follow ups on the behavioral, so know your story.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2010.

Interview

Case Interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation phase, only starting date,.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Recruiter for the local office reached out to my school and I was recommended through a professor. Did a phone case study screen which was fairly straight forward. Didn't have a ton of time to prep but did ok. 1st round interview consisted if 2 hour long interviews with two different people. The first half hour of each was behavioral where we delved into one anecdotal experience VERY in depth. I was not prepared for the level of detail they wanted me to come up with ( think very specific conversation details). Then the second half was a case study. Fairly straight forward if you've prepared for it but the math tripped me up big time. Best advice is to practice cases until you can do them in your sleep.

Interview Questions

• Market analysis for an online order and delivery grocery service to determine if and where they should expand in Europe.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2013.

Interview

I applied for my interviews through my school. I got notified within a week of an office visit for the first round which consisted of three one-hour interviews, followed by a written test. Within two business days, I was notified that I made the final round the following Friday. That consisted of another four one-hour interviews. All interviews had a half-hour experiential/behavioral portion and a half-hour case interview portion. I was notified by the end of the day of my final round of my offer.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the speed and clarity of the process. Everyone I met was modest and friendly!

Interview Questions

• What is not on your resume that I should know about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Detroit, MI) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied online and heard back within a week of the application. I networked with several employees before I received a first round invitation and I think that is the primary reason why I was chosen for a first round interview. The interview itself was straightforward, the experience questions were similar to what I expected and the cases were not too difficult. I would just make sure to brush up on your quick math before the interview and to have a clear plan throughout the case.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult question was regarding reducing CO2 emissions with electric vehicles. The answer the interviewer was looking for was not too complex, but I was thrown off by the unexpected subject   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Two rounds, first at the local office near campus and the final round at the office I was applying for. First round consisted of 2 45-minute interviews and final round was 3 45-minute interviews. Also had to take a test (PST) before the first round. Each interview consists of a case and fit portion.

Interview Questions

• Cases were all pretty straightforward and nothing surprising if you've practiced cases in their firm format before. Grilled most in the fit part, they go very in-depth during the personal experience story.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Could negotiate start date, nothing else

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dallas, TX) in September 2014.

Interview

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

See What McKinsey & Company Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar     Former Business Analyst

Pros: “I joined McKinsey straight out of undergraduate -- like many others in my class, I didn't know what I wanted to do coming out of college and McKinsey seemed like a low-risk way to dip...”“I joined McKinsey straight out of undergraduate -- like many others in my class, I didn't know what I wanted to do coming out of college and McKinsey seemed like a low-risk way to dip my feet in to different industries while figuring out my next move. I will say that McK offers an unparalleled learning experience for those just getting started (e.g., undergrad and MBA recruits). There is no other working experience in the world that will give you as much exposure to executive-level decision-making this early in your career. After leaving, I have continued to benefit from my association with the company in other jobs and roles -- people automatically assume you are at least a baseline level of smart if you've worked at McKinsey. McKinsey is also truly a "global" firm - expect to benefit from the brainpower of smart colleagues and support teams all over the world.” – Full Review