McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

4.0

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

2 back-to-back interviews that consisted of a fit question and a case study. The fit questions were general at first but the interviewers asked for many details so you had to remember your experiences in great details. The case studies were structured but fast-paced so you definitely needed a lot of practice before going in. My interviewers were occasionally on the phone which was distracting and added to my nervousness.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2016.

Interview

Consists of two parts: Personal Experience and Case Study. The personal experience consists of scenarios in your life where you've had to prove leadership, proven solving skills, teamwork, and other qualities that make a good consultant.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you led a team and something went wrong. How did you handle it?   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2016.

Interview

Applied for an international office. Got scheduled for a first round interview with 3 interviewers. Each interview lasted about an hour long, back to back. Quite mentally draining if you may ask me, doing case interviews through phone is also not the most pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Very formulaic to be honest. Story + Case. Just prepare, prepare, prepare!   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

PST test is as daunting as the forums say. Key was to focus quickly on graphs labels and pull key data NOT to read ever word. Then you have round 1 and 2 which were very similar with a Fit question (PEI) which you need to know your self very well to answer as they will challenge and pressure test you on some aspects. Then the traditional Case Study.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell me the market size for jeans?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The first round was conducted through the university career office after you passed the resume screen. I didn't submit a cover letter and was asked for a first round interview with two people working at lower positions in the firm. Final round was at the office you applied for with partners and principles. Each round is very similar, just with different people. They really want you to be able to have good stories about your leadership experience and how you resolved conflicts.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to resolve a conflict in a team setting.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting. First round was 2 back to back 50 minute case interviews with 15 minutes for behavioral. They look a for a very specific candidate and value behavioral much more than the other big firms. Cases were interviewer led and not interviewee led.

Interview Questions

• They asked me two different questions about improving poverty in two different countries.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied online but already knew people working at McKinsey and had interacted with recruiters during on-campus events. Note that they screen online applications by university so unless you go to a target school, applying online is useless.

First round was 2 interviews in their NYC office with a Business Analyst and an Engagement Manager. Standard case + PEI. After clearing this round, you need to select which office you would like to apply to (I hear that certain ones are harder to get than others based on your profile - NYC and Bay Area are more difficult I think). Second round was 3 interviews at the office you selected. 2 of them were standard case + PEI with Partners at the firm One was a more open conversation with questions about past experience and my resume with a Director. He was trying to sell me on McKinsey 10 minutes into the interview.

They were very professional throughout the entire process and really tried to sell me on McKinsey after giving me an offer. They've built a really great recruiting process. Ended up declining the offer to work in another industry because I didn't want to become a management consultant and these kinds of old-age jobs lacked the entrepreneurial environment I was seeking.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you led a group that couldn't come to consensus on an issue.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I went through on-campus recruiting as my school was a target. I did my first rounds at our school's career center with 2 Engagement-managers and final rounds with 3 partners at preferred office location.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you were in a team situation and had to resolve a conflict.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

McKinsey came on campus and began recruitment from our school. For those that passed the resume screen, they gave us two workshops and an interview buddy. The first round was on an office near campus. There were 2 interviews, 50 minutes each.

Compared to other consulting companies, the interviews felt more like an interrogation. The personal experience interview was very pressuring - They ask you many specifics about what exactly happened and what you did, and keep pushing for specific details, so be sure to know the specifics of your story. I was also surprised when I was asked the exact same question for the Personal Experience Interview by the second interviewer, who told me not to use the same story as the first one. I was not ready for that and grew very flustered. The case charts are very tricky and designed to trip you up. I did not feel like the employees wanted me to succeed, unlike my experiences interviewing with other consulting companies.

Interview Questions

• Just know exactly how your story develops and be able to talk about it from multiple viewpoints.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

In person first round interview with two people at their nearest office. Half the time was spent on one behavioral question and the other half on a case study. They then called a week later to let you know, and they do give you feedback on why you weren't selected, which is nice.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you convinced a group. Then they ask very specific probing questions: where were you, what did you say exactly, how did they react, etc.   Answer Question