McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2014.

Interview

I applied to McKinsey through my university's On Campus Recruiting services. There was an information session in the beginning of the semester where they had nearly two dozen McKinseyites, including former summer interns, current employees, and former employees pursuing MBAs. The presentation featured a partner who showed all of the places around the world that she traveled to with McKinsey. There was also a panel of BAs who talked about their experiences with the firm. After the presentation, I spoke with an MBA student from Dubai. He was very intelligent and well-spoken.

Soon afterwards, I submitted my application, which was your basic Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript. After being selected for a first round interview, a "buddy" (a Business Analyst) emailed me to ask if I wanted to do a case interview. They also had a session for all of the candidates where they broke into small groups and ran us through a practice case.

The interview consisted of two hour-long interviews. They each started with a behavioral question where I had to tell a story about my personal leadership experience extensively. Then they went into cases. One was about a linens distributor, and the other one was about research at a university.

Interview Questions

• What was a time where you where a group was underperforming and you helped turn it around?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Haven, CT) in September 2014.

Interview

Recruited on-campus, initial resume drop and many events to network with employees at McKinsey, then attended first round on-campus. 2 45 minute case interviews, each with a case and fit questions. Be prepared for interviewer-driven type cases about anything. Also, fit focused on only one extracurricular, and drove down to specifics of every action and conversation you had, so practice your fit well.

Interview Questions

• Questions drove deep about specific experience and what you specifically did in each scenario   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. First round comprised of two interviews 50 minutes, each with a behavioral and case interview. Second round consisted of four interviews structured similar to the first round.

Interview Questions

• The behavioral interview is not your typical question answer session. They want to know who you are at a deeper level and this is your chance to shine. Know your story inside and out and be prepared to talk in detail about a particular situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try and negotiate.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

Interview

I was recruited through on-campus process at a Tier 1 University. The process was very transparent and short- two weeks in total. The initial interviews took place on campus and then I was flown to the Chicago office for the second round interviews. The McKinsey PST (Problem Solving Test) was not required during my interview process. I was told that it no longer is required for students straight out of universities.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was surprising during the questioning. The initial personal fit portion of the interviews was the extremely basic questions- the interviewer is just trying to see if they'd like to work with you at 7:00 PM.
      The cases are straight forward. My advice is to be very analytical and prove how you think. Don't stress the math- My math was far from perfect, but my interviews still went very well.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions

• How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online for a Business Analyst position. Initial HR interview with the New York office, followed by an interview with a working consultant. The HR interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions and lasted around half an hour. The second interview was a case interview over the phone. There was a practice interview in between (again, over the phone) with a former consultant - a McKinsey alumnus, who was very, very helpful as far as tips are concerned.

Interview Questions

• The case interview was standard - it had something to do with a beer company in Australia and its falling market share (in terms of growth). The first set of questions had to do with estimating the market size (standard numerical estimation). The next set of questions had to do with diagnosing exactly why the market share was diminishing. The most difficult part, for me, was the conclusion, i.e. recommendations for growing market share.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2013.

Interview

I was brought in for an interview for a BA role in Boston, and ended up going through two case interviews and one problem solving test. Each of the three parts was an hour long, and the most intimidating one was the first case interview. I felt it was more challenging because I never did case interviews before (other than with peers). The second case went better, but my feedback, after being declined for a second and final round interview was because of my poor performance on the first case.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you were faced with a difficult problem and how did you solve it.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Got invited to apply through school University Career Center and the online career website.
    First round interview was in Chicago. Met with two interviewers, one Associate one Engagement Manager
    Both interview was an hour long, 1 behavioral question ( tell me about a challenging situation and how your react to the situation), 1 case study ( math + logic )

Second round interview was in office. Met with three interviewers, one Industry specialist, one engagement manager and a partner. Similar form and same type of behavioral question, but the case study was less structured.

One highlight about the interview is that you got assigned a "buddy" who is currently a BA or Associate from the office you are applying to after you entered second round interview.

The strucutre of interview was very organized.

Interview Questions

• Most questions are structured, was surprised by one of the case study where I was asked about the basic physics concept.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

First round in my college recruiting center consisted of 2, 1:1 case/fit interviews. Both cases were relatively straightforward (no major curveballs, focused on retail rather than an obscure industry) -- found it helpful to think outside the box while brainstorming rather than rely on the same formulaic answers that interviewers see all the time. The personal experience portion of the interview was surprisingly intense. Be discuss your experience in great detail and justify all of the actions you took.

Second round in office, 3 1:1 case/fit interviews with partners/senior-level management. Found that this round focused less on the cases -- the interviewers are already fairly certain you can solve a case at this point in the process --and were more unstructured/conversation-led. Interviewers departed more from the 'standard' interviewing script and picked my brain for thoughts on major business-related issues, firm culture, etc.

Entire process was efficient and I received plenty of contact and support from recruiters and consultants throughout.

Interview Questions

• What are your thoughts on the up-or-out culture in professional services?   Answer Question