McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 4, 2017

3.9

110 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
mmmk

Interview Questions

• How many pigs do you need in China?   1 Answer
  • How many tea kettles do you need in Canada?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Phone call with HR was about 30 min. We went over basic questions about prior work experiences and how I became interested in the job. We then went over the structure of subsequent interviews. The overall process is long which led to withdraw after this HR screen. I hope there was less hoops and more substance and get to know type of interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied to conusltant position as a PhD student. There is also an insight program that you could apply in the summer. First there is an online PST test. Then I went to 1st round interview which are two 1:1 interviews for fit question + case study. each interview takes 45 minutes

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview Process is Very slow. Takes weeks for you to get an interview slot confirmed and then weeks to get a rejection. Friendly interviewers but tough questions. Did not enjoy the interview or the feedback process.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

interview was good.the interviewer was fine.i felt relaxed.questions were easy.the proces lasted 3 days.i had an iq test.i had to do a presentation.the interview was at 8 oclock.i was early.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

it was extremely long, with high investment, and ended up in me not getting the job in the last round of interview. i don't know if i would suggest someone go through this process if they are not a masochist - you have a high likelihood of being very disappointed in the end. i am sure working for the company would be great. however, they demand an incredible amount in the interview, with a low chance for success even if you are very good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very long and tiresome. Please see their website since is listed there.
    As a summary, they would have a phone interview to review your experience followed by a phone case preparation. Another call for the 30-min case interview. Then you will be invited two an in person interview with a couple of their consultants. Finally, another in person interview will take place before you get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Buffalo, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening process took one week; three cases with three individual consultants in different areas, each proposing a case in their fields. For each interviewer, the process goes like this: 10 minutes pre-talk at the beginning, start the case, summary. All the three cases are pretty heavily data-driven, with many numbers and charts, the second question in each case is to read out the implications you could get from the charts.

Interview Questions

• A story showing your personal impact; entrepreneurship driving; leadership   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had two back to back interviews with consultants. Each started with fit. I had to recount a challenging situation and the interviewer asked questions. This took about 20 minutes. Then an interviewer led case followed which took about 40 minutes.