McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 20, 2017

3.9

120 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
mmmk

Interview Questions

• How many pigs do you need in China?   4 Answers
  • How many tea kettles do you need in Canada?   3 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I found the fit portion very frustrating. There were no "tell me about yourself" or "why are you interested in McKinsey", they delved right into the behavioral question and asked for very specific details.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you resolved a conflict with your team members/ colleagues"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

Online application, online screening for quantitative and verbal reasoning, then two rounds of interviews with fit and case interview portions. The first round consists of two interviews with consultants and the second round consists of three interviews with partners at the office to which you are applying.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a conflict.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Phone call with HR was about 30 min. We went over basic questions about prior work experiences and how I became interested in the job. We then went over the structure of subsequent interviews. The overall process is long which led to withdraw after this HR screen. I hope there was less hoops and more substance and get to know type of interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied to conusltant position as a PhD student. There is also an insight program that you could apply in the summer. First there is an online PST test. Then I went to 1st round interview which are two 1:1 interviews for fit question + case study. each interview takes 45 minutes

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

First took an online test. Once I passed that I had a phone call interview, and then a local office interview. I did not make it to the final round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

The Interview process very structured. Each about 30 mins consisting of two parts: a case study, and personal story question. I had a total of 5 interviews in 2 rounds after the phone interview which I believe is the common practice for McK. I was not offered a position. I found that the interviewers were not making a personal judgment and were assessing the session based on a template. Cases are very important. My suggestion is to practice case studies as much as possible and make sure you have few personal stories. Practice your stories and make sure you can deliver them in a very structured way,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview Process is Very slow. Takes weeks for you to get an interview slot confirmed and then weeks to get a rejection. Friendly interviewers but tough questions. Did not enjoy the interview or the feedback process.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

interview was good.the interviewer was fine.i felt relaxed.questions were easy.the proces lasted 3 days.i had an iq test.i had to do a presentation.the interview was at 8 oclock.i was early.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   Answer Question