McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

It is basically the standard consulting interview process. However, McKinsey did add a test that all applicants need to take. The test was pretty hard, there was a time crunch, and they only provide one practice exam. It is hard to prepare for, but just be ready to read and analyze graphs quickly. McKinsey also provides you with an interview coach. They will do cases with you over the phone, but I highly suggest practicing cases with your friends.

Interview Questions

• Just practice as many cases as possible, and work on expressing your leadership abilities in a very concise manner.   5 Answers

Negotiation

They don't negotiate with BAs right out of college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in September 2018.

Interview

Interviewed in first round after campus recruiting. Two in-person case-style interviews, 45mins each. 30 min case, 15 min personal experience. Received feedback within a week. One interviewer was very disorganized and dismissive, the other was appropriate. Less personal than other firms, seemed like interviews were a dreaded task for them, recruiter was disinterested. Overall I had a better interview experience at other firms, glad I didn't move past first round.

Interview Questions

• Tell me some things about yourself that are not on your resume.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2018.

Interview

All the stuff about "getting to know you" and "seeing how you think and solve problems" is all absolute nonsense. There are 100,000 people applying for the exact same job, "McKinsey Consultant". Every step of the process is designed to eliminate you. You better hope everything you say in the case interview matches their cheat sheet...word for word! One small deviation, you're out. Part your hair the wrong way, you're out. Your interviewer is just in a bad mood, you're out. All your books and hundreds of hours of case practice will be for nothing and you will have thrown away months (or more) of your life.

The problem McKinsey has is that they have the absolute worst hiring process imaginable. But since they are drawing from a pool of the best applicants in the world (your competition btw), they still inevitably end up with some smart people at the end and then declare "aha, see it works!" But even senior people I've talked to in the firm say it's more luck than anything... you're just as well off buying a lottery ticket.

Also, if you don't get an offer (which statistically speaking is a near certainty), the "feedback" you'll get is absolute garbage. Whether it's an HR person or the person you interviewed with, they aren't going to give you any actual feedback. They are going to tell you whatever boilerplate crap answer that allows them to "check the box" and get off of the phone.

But if you're like the 100s of thousands that have come before, you probably already stopped reading this. You're certain that you've prepared more, and all the videos and that consultant you talked to at the recruiting event convinced you that you are special and have a "good shot". And all that may be true. But if the wind blows the wrong way on your interview day, guess what...you won't get the offer. And you'll have spent months developing a very specific skill (case interviews) that is absolutely useless in the real world.

Consultant Interview

Interview

Arduous process (PhD candidate). Incredibly consuming, but McKinsey invests a lot of time and effort in preparing you to interview. The interview day was exciting but overwhelming -- I spoke with two current consultants (one PhD hire and one MBA hire).

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had an interpersonal conflict in a professional setting and how you dealt with said conflict.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

After a resume review, I completed a case interview screening. I was recommended for round one interviews, but my recruiter canceled the interview and stopped responding to all emails. I was already ~1.5 months into the process. This was extremely unprofessional and reflects poorly on the company.

Interview Questions

• What factors would you consider in this problem?   1 Answer

McKinsey & Company Response

Sep 21, 2018 – Recruiting Expert

We're sorry to hear about this lack of communication from our team - it does not reflect our values nor our usual processes. If there are others you connected with at McKinsey who might be able to... More

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

I spoke with a recruiter I was referred to online. We discussed the job qualifications and my interest. The recruiter decided to have me meet at the New York office for a coffee chat and potential interview. Coffee chat went well and then met with senior consultants for a round of interviews.

Interview Questions

• What is my interest in metals & mining consulting?
      What is my opinion on projection of nickel prices for first quarter 2018?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

Cases, Life experiences, Leadership the same things you will have at any consulting job interview

Interview Questions

• Cases / Life experiences / Leadership   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

Straight forward, professional. Case study was tricky and lots of quantitative aspects. I got through the first few rounds with ease. The case study panel interview was hard. Overall the interview was what was expected.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

The Interview process very structured. Each about 30 mins consisting of two parts: a case study, and personal story question. I had a total of 5 interviews in 2 rounds after the phone interview which I believe is the common practice for McK. I was not offered a position. I found that the interviewers were not making a personal judgment and were assessing the session based on a template. Cases are very important. My suggestion is to practice case studies as much as possible and make sure you have few personal stories. Practice your stories and make sure you can deliver them in a very structured way,