McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2017

3.9

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Phone call with HR was about 30 min. We went over basic questions about prior work experiences and how I became interested in the job. We then went over the structure of subsequent interviews. The overall process is long which led to withdraw after this HR screen. I hope there was less hoops and more substance and get to know type of interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

I applied to conusltant position as a PhD student. There is also an insight program that you could apply in the summer. First there is an online PST test. Then I went to 1st round interview which are two 1:1 interviews for fit question + case study. each interview takes 45 minutes

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

interview was good.the interviewer was fine.i felt relaxed.questions were easy.the proces lasted 3 days.i had an iq test.i had to do a presentation.the interview was at 8 oclock.i was early.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in September 2015.

Interview

it was extremely long, with high investment, and ended up in me not getting the job in the last round of interview. i don't know if i would suggest someone go through this process if they are not a masochist - you have a high likelihood of being very disappointed in the end. i am sure working for the company would be great. however, they demand an incredible amount in the interview, with a low chance for success even if you are very good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Very long and tiresome. Please see their website since is listed there.
    As a summary, they would have a phone interview to review your experience followed by a phone case preparation. Another call for the 30-min case interview. Then you will be invited two an in person interview with a couple of their consultants. Finally, another in person interview will take place before you get an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Buffalo, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

Screening process took one week; three cases with three individual consultants in different areas, each proposing a case in their fields. For each interviewer, the process goes like this: 10 minutes pre-talk at the beginning, start the case, summary. All the three cases are pretty heavily data-driven, with many numbers and charts, the second question in each case is to read out the implications you could get from the charts.

Interview Questions

• A story showing your personal impact; entrepreneurship driving; leadership   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

I had two back to back interviews with consultants. Each started with fit. I had to recount a challenging situation and the interviewer asked questions. This took about 20 minutes. Then an interviewer led case followed which took about 40 minutes.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

three rounds of interview, the first round is group discussion and PST
    the rest two are both face to face.
    each round has two persons, 45 mins interview has a case and behavior
    the result of first round will come out after 2~3 days, and the 2nd round would be 1 week after that.
    the final round will be ~ 1 week after the 2nd round, and you will have chance to choose a date from a pool

Interview Questions

• the behavior questions are basic ones. why consulting
      one case is a big estimation
      another one if a financial service
      Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

Interview

Applied for the Insight program, didn't get an interview, but got an invitation for full-time interview in the fall. So if you plan to apply for a full-time position in McKinsey, it's a good idea to apply for the insight program earlier that year. Afterwards I went to the first round for full time, Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment, 4 hours in total. 1st hour is the PST, afterwards is two break-out session for interview preparation.