McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2017

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in August 2011.

Interview

The first round interview consists of a written test designed for your maths capability and analytical thinking under the tight time limit. The second half of the first round interview is a session of group training on case interview. It was very helpful for candidates with advanced science degrees.
In the second round, there are 2 one-on-one interviews with McKinsey consultants, sometimes managers. Each half of the interview consists of a case interview and experience interview.
The recruiters are very professional, and they make the whole interview process going smoothly for candidates. Candidates are informed clearly what to expect at each stage of the interview process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that your personal impact has influenced the outcome.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in May 2011.

Interview

Robust. Lots of cases and conversations with junior and senior people. 3 rounds. First was to pass the cases, the next was on cultural fit and the last was on what I knew to try and place in the right practice. Each round had 2-3 interviews in it. Everyone was very nice but it was clear that each person had a specific role to play.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

Very friendly staff. They tried to provide clear guidance through the process with high level of honesty.

Interview Questions

• What do you think is the biggest problem in the economy?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I got literally one day's notice before my interview, so I feel like I was set up to fail. No "buddy" no "coaching" no help whatsoever. I had two phone interview case studies, which are almost impossible to do over the phone, because so much of a case study is body language and/or charts and graphs that they should give you on paper.

One interview went OK, although the phone connection on the interviewer's end was horrible. The other interview was awful. The person who interviewed me spent at least 50% of the time talking about themselves and all their amazing career accomplishments, so then the case portion was rushed and I did not have enough time to finish. The interviewer also snapped at me if I did not understand immediately what they wanted.

A week later, an admin sent me a rejection notice. No feedback provided. It's very depressing once you realize how much the game is rigged towards the Ivy Leaguers. They get coaching from McKinsey, they get a "buddy" who helps them prepare, they get weeks and weeks of notice for interviewers. Thus, the McKinsey interviewing system very simply perpetuates this machine of Ivy Leaguers helping other Ivy Leaguers. Any one outside of that system has very very very little chance of getting in. How could they? The Ivy Leaguers have all of the advantages and are allowed more leeway than anyone else applying.

McKinsey prides itself of being a meritocracy but this is a total joke. If it was, where was my coach? Where was my buddy? Where is my interview feedback? Where the interviewer who should be trying to help me succeed (as referenced in the other reviews)? Why did I get a rejection email from an admin, rather than a call from the person who interviewed me? Why did I not get the same treatment as those who went to fancy schools even though I interviewed for the same job?

If I sound bitter, I am. I was set up.

Interview Questions

• It was all hard because the phone line was so bad and they were unclear. They did not seem at all interested in seeing me succeed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2011.

Interview

I have applied through my school's career site, and got an email asking me to participate in the one time interview process, along with a bunch of other candidates.
    First all of us took an "intelligence test" something similar to SAT/GRE. Then we had three consecutive one on one interviews. First one was a disaster, the person interviewing me has not seen my resume me before or my cover letter, and did not understand my career objectives. He kept saying that McKinsey doen't do that, etc. I was surprised then why did they even call me back? I knew they had a branch which did what I was interested in. The man was annoyed so he gave me one of the most stupid brain teasers, I had no idea how to solve: something with a kid that is blond, he's father is 40, how old is the younger sister. Next two interviews were much more normal, some behavioral questions on analysis and leadership and a market type case study-how would you estimate the total market size of ex, etc.
    I was negatively impressed by the very rude behavior of the first interviewer, and by the fact that they knew I was not a fit in the first place based on my interests.

Interview Questions

• A brain teaser, that had nothing to do with mathematics. I don't remember the details, and I don't think there was any correct answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

A central aspect of Mckinsey's recruiting process is the case interview, as they believe it most closely parallels the actual work consultants might undertake there. Throughout the recruiting process, I participated in several round of case interviews, each of which varied in scope and approach. I'd say the best preparation for these interviews is to familiarize your self with the process and to practice sample cases with friends or colleagues.

Interview Questions

• What is the potential demand (in units) for anti-cancer drugs in the U/S.? How many cancer patients are there?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of a test, in which questions, which tested your ability to solve cases. This test took an hour, and we could use only pencils. There was text describing the cases and a number of questions following each text fragment that were related to the text. Many of them involved making numerical estimates, asked us to choose a statement that describes how we should best handle the case. The next part of the first round consisted of solving two case interviews on the phone, each of which lasted for an hour, each with an introductory part where you have to talk about your resume and a part where you have to describe a difficult situation which you had with someone on your workplace and how you handled it, an example of your leadership and so on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had conflict with someone at your workspace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

After submission of the application, the first round consists of a written test. It was a challenging test, where time management is a key issue. After the test, we were broken into 3-4 people groups, and did a case together with a McKinsey consultant. This part of the test is supposedly not evaluative, although I think we were still evaluated. A couple of days later we were notified whether we moved on to the second part of the interview or not. The second round of interview was at the NY office. There were three interviews, with 2 fit interviews, and three case interviews. The questions were more similar to the cases presented in the written test. One interviewer played the "mean interviewer" role, and was challenging everything I said, as well as rushing me in my responses

Interview Questions

• A men's fashion store is thinking about expanding, should they do it or not   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview process was held at business school. The company came on campus, hosted interviews, and provided plenty of information about the program, process, case studies, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to help a hotel figure out whether or not it should continue to stock mini-bars in their hotels - did it make sense? We walked through a case study and talked about the cost of restocking, the margins on the candy bars, etc, the cost of electricity and maintenance of the fridges.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

Invited to ADC workshop. Took a written test. Pretty straight forward, but almost impossible to finish. After test, broke into groups and practiced cases with Mckinsey consultants. The case portion is supposedly not evaluated.