McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 14, 2017

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

Invited to ADC workshop. Took a written test. Pretty straight forward, but almost impossible to finish. After test, broke into groups and practiced cases with Mckinsey consultants. The case portion is supposedly not evaluated.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied online and submitted resume. Was contacted by email concerning offer of interview but giving only 5 days notice for travel plans to be arranged thus costing more for last minute flight/hotel. Initially arrived was large group of other interviewees none of whom expected such a large group. We were greeted friendly then told we would start the day with a one hour test consisting of 26 questions. Additionally we were told that any additional offer of a second interview would mainly consist of results of the test. Next we had three 30 minute case review sessions each with a different case leader. The first case leader was a woman who seemed to be trying to make the session as difficult as possible and had a severe appearing attitude (very standoff, unsmiling, unfriendly). The case did not go well for anyone in my group. The second and third sessions were lead by different men. One had such a strong accent that it was difficult for everyone in our group to understand what he was saying or asking. He was friendly and encouraging however. The final session leader was very clear, encouraging, friendly, and guided the session as would be expected from most case review studies. Overall, it took 4.5 hrs and was a very stressful day.

Interview Questions

• Should one company purchase another company that is in a very different field?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

First round interview consists of the McKinsey Problem Solving Test. This consists of 26 multiple choice questions on 2-3 business cases presented within the test. Expect to need to perform math by hand that you haven't had to do without a calculator in years, and to do it as fast as if you had a calculator.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2009.

Interview

I am a PhD student and I applied online through McKinsey's APD program. I did not know what to expect from the interview process. I was invited to the "Interview Workshop and Initial Assessment". At the IWIA I took a written 26 question 60 minute test, then went through two case studies. We did the case studies in groups of 3-4 applicants with a McKinsey consultant leading each group. The written test required analysis of cases and basic math skills; it was pretty similar to the practice test on the website. Overall, McKinsey has a very professional process, they provide a lot of information,and they make it clear what to expect. I did not make it through the initial workshop, so I don't know much about the later rounds. I did find that the people who really wanted a job in management consulting seemed to have a much better idea of what to expect than I did - they had done practice case studies, etc.

Interview Questions

• The written test required basic math, and the case studies were fairly standard questions (from what I was told), e.g. analyze the situation for this case study.   Answer Question

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

It is basically the standard consulting interview process. However, McKinsey did add a test that all applicants need to take. The test was pretty hard, there was a time crunch, and they only provide one practice exam. It is hard to prepare for, but just be ready to read and analyze graphs quickly. McKinsey also provides you with an interview coach. They will do cases with you over the phone, but I highly suggest practicing cases with your friends.

Interview Questions

• Just practice as many cases as possible, and work on expressing your leadership abilities in a very concise manner.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate with BAs right out of college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jersey City, NJ) in August 2009.

Interview

The skills test was one hour long with 26 questions pertaining to three different cases. There were about 30 of us taking it at the same time, with three different test versions. I would say that the practice tests are fairly representative of what I saw on the real test. A fairly even mix of quantitative and qualitative reasoning questions. My strategy for the test was to only read the questions, and then mine for relevant info in the background after I knew what I was looking for. This seemed to work pretty well. I finished my first pass of the test in 30 minutes, leaving several blank (if the question looked too hard I automatically skipped it), and then returned to the difficult ones with the remaining 30 minutes. We don't get a score on the test, so there's no way to really know how well this strategy worked, but it seemed well-suited to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2009.

Interview

Two rounds with two different recruiters consisting of personal/cv interview + case studies. They were extremely nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in November 2008.

Interview

Intense!
    There is a lot of prep for these interviews, bec they include cases. I spent months preparing with my friends, reviewing cases together and memorizing frameworks.
    First, there is a written skills test they give to many candidates, then they do large group cases together (which they say don't count towards their decision, but I got the feeling they did). Then, a very small group of those people are invited for one on one interviews at their offices at a later date. I was invited to that. The interview was with three different (male) consultants. They were mostly friendly, but the cases were tough. I did not get a call back to the next round.

Interview Questions

• The cases. I don't remember the specifics, but they were tough, all related to healthcare (which is not my area of expertise)   Answer Question
    • Tell me about yourself   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2008.

Interview

McKinsey starts with a written quantitative assessment that you must pass before moving on to first-round interviews. You will feel pressured for time. The criteria here is unclear for who makes it to interviews and who does not.

Interviews are very structured, the most structured I've ever seen case interviews. Each case has a short prompt with the problem statement, and then you're asked a high-level question along the lines of "how would you approach this?" or "What factors would you consider?"

The interviewer may choose one of the factors you mentioned to dig deeper, and will eventually show you a graph or chart or some other data. At this point, you're expected to do some math to arrive at an answer. Finally, they ask for a 30-second summary ("imagine partner on your case steps into the elevator with you and asks how things are going").

Interview Questions

• All the cases are so different. Depends on what your weaknesses are. If you're not a math person, the quantitative part will be hard. If you don't know the business side well, then the big-picture question at the very beginning will be hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

very professional and pleasant catered interview, pretty hard case study and multiple choice test . important to be able to summarize your work and interests, hobbies, ask good questions about mckinsey, show then you fit and can contribute a lot. be energetic, charismatic, and implicitly say "I work hard"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

reasonable