McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2009.

Interview

I am a PhD student and I applied online through McKinsey's APD program. I did not know what to expect from the interview process. I was invited to the "Interview Workshop and Initial Assessment". At the IWIA I took a written 26 question 60 minute test, then went through two case studies. We did the case studies in groups of 3-4 applicants with a McKinsey consultant leading each group. The written test required analysis of cases and basic math skills; it was pretty similar to the practice test on the website. Overall, McKinsey has a very professional process, they provide a lot of information,and they make it clear what to expect. I did not make it through the initial workshop, so I don't know much about the later rounds. I did find that the people who really wanted a job in management consulting seemed to have a much better idea of what to expect than I did - they had done practice case studies, etc.

Interview Questions

• The written test required basic math, and the case studies were fairly standard questions (from what I was told), e.g. analyze the situation for this case study.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

very professional and pleasant catered interview, pretty hard case study and multiple choice test . important to be able to summarize your work and interests, hobbies, ask good questions about mckinsey, show then you fit and can contribute a lot. be energetic, charismatic, and implicitly say "I work hard"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

reasonable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied online and submitted resume. Was contacted by email concerning offer of interview but giving only 5 days notice for travel plans to be arranged thus costing more for last minute flight/hotel. Initially arrived was large group of other interviewees none of whom expected such a large group. We were greeted friendly then told we would start the day with a one hour test consisting of 26 questions. Additionally we were told that any additional offer of a second interview would mainly consist of results of the test. Next we had three 30 minute case review sessions each with a different case leader. The first case leader was a woman who seemed to be trying to make the session as difficult as possible and had a severe appearing attitude (very standoff, unsmiling, unfriendly). The case did not go well for anyone in my group. The second and third sessions were lead by different men. One had such a strong accent that it was difficult for everyone in our group to understand what he was saying or asking. He was friendly and encouraging however. The final session leader was very clear, encouraging, friendly, and guided the session as would be expected from most case review studies. Overall, it took 4.5 hrs and was a very stressful day.

Interview Questions

• Should one company purchase another company that is in a very different field?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

Invited to ADC workshop. Took a written test. Pretty straight forward, but almost impossible to finish. After test, broke into groups and practiced cases with Mckinsey consultants. The case portion is supposedly not evaluated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2008.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter. Traveled to LA. Spent the next day testing and interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Give me the book title and chapter titles for a major accomplishment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

A central aspect of Mckinsey's recruiting process is the case interview, as they believe it most closely parallels the actual work consultants might undertake there. Throughout the recruiting process, I participated in several round of case interviews, each of which varied in scope and approach. I'd say the best preparation for these interviews is to familiarize your self with the process and to practice sample cases with friends or colleagues.

Interview Questions

• What is the potential demand (in units) for anti-cancer drugs in the U/S.? How many cancer patients are there?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in October 2008.

Interview

McKinsey starts with a written quantitative assessment that you must pass before moving on to first-round interviews. You will feel pressured for time. The criteria here is unclear for who makes it to interviews and who does not.

Interviews are very structured, the most structured I've ever seen case interviews. Each case has a short prompt with the problem statement, and then you're asked a high-level question along the lines of "how would you approach this?" or "What factors would you consider?"

The interviewer may choose one of the factors you mentioned to dig deeper, and will eventually show you a graph or chart or some other data. At this point, you're expected to do some math to arrive at an answer. Finally, they ask for a 30-second summary ("imagine partner on your case steps into the elevator with you and asks how things are going").

Interview Questions

• All the cases are so different. Depends on what your weaknesses are. If you're not a math person, the quantitative part will be hard. If you don't know the business side well, then the big-picture question at the very beginning will be hard.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

After submission of the application, the first round consists of a written test. It was a challenging test, where time management is a key issue. After the test, we were broken into 3-4 people groups, and did a case together with a McKinsey consultant. This part of the test is supposedly not evaluative, although I think we were still evaluated. A couple of days later we were notified whether we moved on to the second part of the interview or not. The second round of interview was at the NY office. There were three interviews, with 2 fit interviews, and three case interviews. The questions were more similar to the cases presented in the written test. One interviewer played the "mean interviewer" role, and was challenging everything I said, as well as rushing me in my responses

Interview Questions

• A men's fashion store is thinking about expanding, should they do it or not   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of a test, in which questions, which tested your ability to solve cases. This test took an hour, and we could use only pencils. There was text describing the cases and a number of questions following each text fragment that were related to the text. Many of them involved making numerical estimates, asked us to choose a statement that describes how we should best handle the case. The next part of the first round consisted of solving two case interviews on the phone, each of which lasted for an hour, each with an introductory part where you have to talk about your resume and a part where you have to describe a difficult situation which you had with someone on your workplace and how you handled it, an example of your leadership and so on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had conflict with someone at your workspace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

Interview

Applied for the Insight program, didn't get an interview, but got an invitation for full-time interview in the fall. So if you plan to apply for a full-time position in McKinsey, it's a good idea to apply for the insight program earlier that year. Afterwards I went to the first round for full time, Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment, 4 hours in total. 1st hour is the PST, afterwards is two break-out session for interview preparation.