McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2017

3.9

107 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2008.

Interview

very professional and pleasant catered interview, pretty hard case study and multiple choice test . important to be able to summarize your work and interests, hobbies, ask good questions about mckinsey, show then you fit and can contribute a lot. be energetic, charismatic, and implicitly say "I work hard"

Interview Questions

Negotiation

reasonable

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2008.

Interview

Received an email from a recruiter. Traveled to LA. Spent the next day testing and interviewing.

Interview Questions

• Give me the book title and chapter titles for a major accomplishment.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens (Greece)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Athens (Greece)) in June 2017.

Interview

One of the most unprofessional interview I ever had. I passed the PST test and went for the first round of interview. I never received any answer from the HR rep after each stage of the process. I had to request feedback to know if I would pass or not. I sent them an email two weeks after the first round of interview to get an answer. The next day, one of the consultant told me that everything was fine but that I could have constructed my thinking more clearly but that I would certainly pass if I try again next year. I understood that they had no intention to hire anyone but that the Athens office is kind of obliged to open position every year as this is a worldwide process in McKinsey. I have spent hours of my time to prepare for this process and I always had the feeling to bother them. A shame for such company. Not worth the efforts.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation you have successfully managed   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

me and interviewer
    2 x 45 min interviews
    Around 15 minutes: fit questions...one big question and many others related to it in order to go deep in the details.
    the rest of the time: case interview..1 case per interview

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time when you led a team in the face of a major challenge   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Interview

Interview at Philadelphia was great, very friendly people, conversational case interview. In New York the vibe was a bit more elitist, which made me a little uncomfortable. The hierarchy was more tangible than at other firms I have interviewed at, overall it did not give me a positive impression of the culture at the firm, but I was only there one day so it take that with a grain of salt.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I have applied online. I was called to have an interview at the office. Two hours in total. The interviewers were very nice and asked very good business question. The business case was much like the one presented in the website of Mckinsey. They also ask career and personality questions.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jakarta (Indonesia)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jakarta (Indonesia)) in October 2016.

Interview

Joined and heard good stuff in a webex session in September, did a paper-based test a month later. Never been informed on the outcome and my email was clearly ignored by their HR. I should assume I didn't pass the test.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kiev (Ukraine)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Kiev (Ukraine)) in September 2016.

Interview

Interviews with McKinsey are a bureaucratic marathon that can easily swallow half a year's worth of hopes: after the standardized group pre-screening loosely based on GMAT a series of interviews are supposed to move the candidates along.

While on the surface the candidate experience seems to be standardized, the Kyiv office offers a few regional twists. Your status as a candidate is not transparent and the recruitment administrative assistants are not reachable by phone or email (phone calls are routed to voice mail and just like emails are never responded to.) Once candidates pass the standardized screening, about 3 rounds of one-on-one case-based interviews await.

Getting the standardized part of the interviews is difficult to mess up. As group of about 10 candidates were quietly completing written tests in the conference room while a couple of employees outside were discussing client business using mostly obscene language. Professional environment points deducted, but not a candidate deal breaker yet. Whether that was this the stress testing part of the candidate process the candidates were left to wonder.

In my case, two current employees held interviews with me back to back after about a month from the standardized testing phase, to be followed up by one or two rounds "within the next 1-3 months."

I never received any indication of my candidate status after the one-on-one interviews, even after numerous emails and phone calls addressed to the recruitment coordinator. 7 months after the initial screening I am not sure about my candidate status and will be sending a letter of withdrawing from the interviewing process, to resolve any possible ambiguities.

As insignificant as it may seem, my this candidate experience has, unfortunately, ruined my impression of McKindey as the top consulting company and has, in my opinion, discredited the level of professional conduct within consulting in Ukraine overall.

Interview Questions

• Standardized testing, followed by in-person one-on-one case-based interviews.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berlin (Germany)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Berlin (Germany)) in March 2016.

Interview

I have applied to the job online and got a response after few days.
    The interviews life-cycle then took almost 9 months without any justification. Every time there was one different justification for the delay. At the end I rejected to move forward and declined the whole process.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in August 2015.

Interview

I was called back by HR after applying for a consultant role with McKinsey. The HR lady was very friendly and informed me of the process. I would start with a coaching call with a current consultant. The coaching call was great. I was asked to do a case interview. Standard Market Sizing and Strategy. It went really well. My first official interview was with an outsourced interviewer in Germany. It was a case interview and it did not go well. The interviewer was sick and kept coughing on the other end of the line and there was a slight delay in the call and we kept talking over each other. The interviewer was hard to hear and understand. I did not progress to the next round and the feedback was that I just wasn't quite creative enough. I did everything else well, but only the creativity lacked. I feel like the interviewer did not hear half of what I had said and missed some of the key points I mentioned. Needless to say, I am only allowed to apply again after 2 years and I would rather consider another firm.