McKinsey & Company Consulting Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 10, 2017

3.9

114 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2010.

Interview

The interview consisted of a test, in which questions, which tested your ability to solve cases. This test took an hour, and we could use only pencils. There was text describing the cases and a number of questions following each text fragment that were related to the text. Many of them involved making numerical estimates, asked us to choose a statement that describes how we should best handle the case. The next part of the first round consisted of solving two case interviews on the phone, each of which lasted for an hour, each with an introductory part where you have to talk about your resume and a part where you have to describe a difficult situation which you had with someone on your workplace and how you handled it, an example of your leadership and so on.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you had conflict with someone at your workspace and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2010.

Interview

After submission of the application, the first round consists of a written test. It was a challenging test, where time management is a key issue. After the test, we were broken into 3-4 people groups, and did a case together with a McKinsey consultant. This part of the test is supposedly not evaluative, although I think we were still evaluated. A couple of days later we were notified whether we moved on to the second part of the interview or not. The second round of interview was at the NY office. There were three interviews, with 2 fit interviews, and three case interviews. The questions were more similar to the cases presented in the written test. One interviewer played the "mean interviewer" role, and was challenging everything I said, as well as rushing me in my responses

Interview Questions

• A men's fashion store is thinking about expanding, should they do it or not   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Menlo Park, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Interview process was held at business school. The company came on campus, hosted interviews, and provided plenty of information about the program, process, case studies, etc.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to help a hotel figure out whether or not it should continue to stock mini-bars in their hotels - did it make sense? We walked through a case study and talked about the cost of restocking, the margins on the candy bars, etc, the cost of electricity and maintenance of the fridges.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2010.

Interview

Invited to ADC workshop. Took a written test. Pretty straight forward, but almost impossible to finish. After test, broke into groups and practiced cases with Mckinsey consultants. The case portion is supposedly not evaluated.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2009.

Interview

Applied online and submitted resume. Was contacted by email concerning offer of interview but giving only 5 days notice for travel plans to be arranged thus costing more for last minute flight/hotel. Initially arrived was large group of other interviewees none of whom expected such a large group. We were greeted friendly then told we would start the day with a one hour test consisting of 26 questions. Additionally we were told that any additional offer of a second interview would mainly consist of results of the test. Next we had three 30 minute case review sessions each with a different case leader. The first case leader was a woman who seemed to be trying to make the session as difficult as possible and had a severe appearing attitude (very standoff, unsmiling, unfriendly). The case did not go well for anyone in my group. The second and third sessions were lead by different men. One had such a strong accent that it was difficult for everyone in our group to understand what he was saying or asking. He was friendly and encouraging however. The final session leader was very clear, encouraging, friendly, and guided the session as would be expected from most case review studies. Overall, it took 4.5 hrs and was a very stressful day.

Interview Questions

• Should one company purchase another company that is in a very different field?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2009.

Interview

First round interview consists of the McKinsey Problem Solving Test. This consists of 26 multiple choice questions on 2-3 business cases presented within the test. Expect to need to perform math by hand that you haven't had to do without a calculator in years, and to do it as fast as if you had a calculator.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2009.

Interview

I am a PhD student and I applied online through McKinsey's APD program. I did not know what to expect from the interview process. I was invited to the "Interview Workshop and Initial Assessment". At the IWIA I took a written 26 question 60 minute test, then went through two case studies. We did the case studies in groups of 3-4 applicants with a McKinsey consultant leading each group. The written test required analysis of cases and basic math skills; it was pretty similar to the practice test on the website. Overall, McKinsey has a very professional process, they provide a lot of information,and they make it clear what to expect. I did not make it through the initial workshop, so I don't know much about the later rounds. I did find that the people who really wanted a job in management consulting seemed to have a much better idea of what to expect than I did - they had done practice case studies, etc.

Interview Questions

• The written test required basic math, and the case studies were fairly standard questions (from what I was told), e.g. analyze the situation for this case study.   Answer Question

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

It is basically the standard consulting interview process. However, McKinsey did add a test that all applicants need to take. The test was pretty hard, there was a time crunch, and they only provide one practice exam. It is hard to prepare for, but just be ready to read and analyze graphs quickly. McKinsey also provides you with an interview coach. They will do cases with you over the phone, but I highly suggest practicing cases with your friends.

Interview Questions

• Just practice as many cases as possible, and work on expressing your leadership abilities in a very concise manner.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate with BAs right out of college.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jersey City, NJ) in August 2009.

Interview

The skills test was one hour long with 26 questions pertaining to three different cases. There were about 30 of us taking it at the same time, with three different test versions. I would say that the practice tests are fairly representative of what I saw on the real test. A fairly even mix of quantitative and qualitative reasoning questions. My strategy for the test was to only read the questions, and then mine for relevant info in the background after I knew what I was looking for. This seemed to work pretty well. I finished my first pass of the test in 30 minutes, leaving several blank (if the question looked too hard I automatically skipped it), and then returned to the difficult ones with the remaining 30 minutes. We don't get a score on the test, so there's no way to really know how well this strategy worked, but it seemed well-suited to me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2009.

Interview

Two rounds with two different recruiters consisting of personal/cv interview + case studies. They were extremely nice.