McKinsey & Company Data Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Data Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

It's a 1st round interview. The basic structure of the interview follows behavior question + business case. The business case is more interviewer-led structure. Also, because the job requires professional statistics and programming knowledge, the business case involves more statistics modeling knowledge, which is different from business case interview for management consulting. The overall process is quite fun.

Interview Questions

• what's the most challenging work for you? and how do you solve it   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in October 2015.

Interview

I applied online through McKinsey website. The process took 1 day. I was invited to Waltham for an on-site interview which included meeting with 3 senior people. The interviews had pretty standard structures, including behavioral questions and case questions. Since I applied for the data analyst job, the case interviews are more like modelling orientated which is different from the standard case interview. McKinsey people are super smart and nice. All the travelling costs are reimbursable.

Data Analyst Interview

Interview

i had 3 phone calls before onsite. Two tech screens and one behavioral interview. The Technique interview is just SQL questions, which is kind of touch. Even if I cant give them exactly the right query, they are still okay if I just talked about my approach.

Interview Questions

• What's the difference between primary key and unique key   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in August 2017.

Interview

Case interviews at McKinsey are really easy. The thing that weeds people out is if they give the most obvious answer to the question. Don't overthink it.

pick good examples for the personal experience interview. people often mess this up

Interview Questions

• Personal experience questions - tell me about a time when
      Case Interview   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2018.

Interview

Talk about your background, ask a few non-tech questions. Mainly focus on your resume, more interest in previous working experience. Some question about "what you will do" in working as personality test.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in October 2015.

Interview

Applied through a recruitment consultancy. First Stage - problem solving test. Twenty Six multiple choice questions on a variety of business scenarios, testing problem solving capabilities and decisions. The experience was positive, however I didn't pass the PST. I would recommend doing quite a bit more preparation than I did.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Delhi (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

Hiring Process for DA Intern at McKinsey Solutions wing :
    1) MCQ Aptitude test [elimination] (General Quant + English + Logic + MS Excel , MS Access )
    2) two/three rounds of Interviews [one of them slightly technical (MS Excel only)]

I was referred by an employee, there was only one opening for the internship.

Aptitude test was very generic and pretty easy. Just read few concepts aout Excel and Access and you're good to go. no negative, so attempt all of the ques.

If you clear, you'll be called for 1:1 interview with senior team member.
    again, standard interview questions and few questions slightly inclined towards technical knowledge about MS Excel. that interview went excellent as I answered each and every question correctly.

out of 4 candidates who sat for the interview, only I cleared that round.

So the next 2 rounds it was obvious were gonna be a mere formality.

Next Interview will be HR based. you'll be grilled on your resume, career objectives. they might throw one or two guesstimates to know about your business acumen and intellectual prowess. Solved all of them.

the weirdest thing happened with me was that my last HR interview couldn't happen on that day because the interviewee had to leave for an urgent meeting.

so I was called up on the following afternoon for that formality types HR round but that's when my bad luck hit me.

I received a call from HR associate just 4 hours prior to my interview that the position has been put on hold. I called the employee who referred me then I came to know that an employee from their Tech Support team got in that same opening for which I was apparently selected. JUST IMAGINE.

Interview Questions

• how would you implement VBA in Excel   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I had a technical interview for the position of Data Analysis.
    Overall, I felt the interview process was quite unprofessional.
    First, I logged in on their portal 5 mins before my slot time and I could hear the interview of another candidate.
    Second, the audio quality was poor and sometimes I could barely hear the voice.
    Third, the interviewer had to stop a couple of time and went away from the microphone, pretty sure somebody else was making her laugh.

Interview Questions

• General questions about machine learning techniques and how to solve a hypothetical case study.   2 Answers

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in August 2016.

Interview

Tough 7 rounds - 1 written, 3 telephonic + 3 Video rounds
    Excel, SQL written interview - Given a report to automate using VBA and macros, asked questions on SQL/Tableau in the interview
    The 2 most imp rounds - 1 written, last video round with Senior GM / Partner / Director

Interview Questions

• - Guesstimate Question
      - Questions on company fit, ability to lead, exceptional work in past   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)).

Interview

Was contacted by McKinsey recruiter from gurgaon office . Initial 15 min of call with recruiter followed by 1 hour of technical questions. Then another round with hiring manager and technical lead which included both behavioural and technical questions. Then final round with consultant in London.