McKinsey & Company Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.2

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A fairly standard phone screen interview, followed by a case coaching session. Then a series of video interview with people from data science and analytics backgrounds. Some where regular "talk about what you've done" interviews, while some went over case studies. My initial impression was that they'd all be case studies, and it had me thinking I was accidentally going to a consultant interview. That turned out not to be the case.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to deliver a project under a tight deadline.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in September 2016.

Interview

Usual consulting firm steps. The most disappointing part was the case interviews. They gave me a bunch of data and asked me a question that required the use of one or two of those data points. As a data scientist, it is almost against my training to ignore data without a thorough examination of the possible scenarios in which the data could be used. After my first case interview, I realized that the firm wasn't going to be a fit for me. They may need to look into upgrading their archaic interview process. Moreover, the process took almost two months, I had accepted another offer by then.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you showed leadership.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2017.

Interview

One of the worst experiences ever. I had one HR interview, followed by an online Case Interview short course. Then I had a technical interview where the things got weird. The interviewer asked me questions for about 1.5 hours and literally I replied every one of them. By the way those questions were not relevant to the job description and my background but I still replied to everything since I knew and worked on that topic for a long time.

1 week after the interview I received the rejection notice. When I asked for a feedback they said I am really good on that topic (the topic they questioned me a lot) but they are looking for a person with other skills. I HAVE OTHER SKILLS, THEN WHY DID YOU ASK THOSE QUESTIONS. It is extremely rude and disorganized and disrespectful. For the position, they could literally ask any questions since I am one of the top in my field.

The funny part is my interviewer forgot the interview and re-scheduled it. I believe they already had someone who they know and they interviewed me just to show in paper that this was a competitive position. What a waste of time.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for the company?   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied for a data science intern position online via Glassdoor in late August. I received an email from a McKinsey recruiter that they wanted to do pre-screen and I would receive an email at the end of the week to a HackerRank test. You have a few days to complete it by the deadline.

Interview Questions

• 3 coding challenges in any language of your choice completed in 120 minutes.   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

You are required to do an online coding test, which is held on Hackerrank. You have to finish the test with two hours. It's about sorting and searching, and predicting.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Online coding test from hackranker challenge test. The result will be posted in early Nov, which decided the possibility for rd 1. The interview for rd 1 will be in late Nov (but before Thanksgiving I guess).

Interview Questions

• Three coding problems, can choose whatever language I am comfortable with for each one. The first one is similar to sorting & searching question. I did it in R, but last four cases didn't pass because of the time complexity. The second and three are more like statistical modeling of predicting humidity (continuous response variable between 0 and 1) and predicting temperature (continuous non-negative response variable). My initial idea was to use autoregressive model but I had never learned it before. Screw on problem 2 but wrote something regarding what I thought as comment. The test duration was 120 minutes, and I submitted everything just before it ended.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Received the OA after applied online, the total process is 2 hours and 3 questions. You can select any language you want and the OA is held in Hackerrank

Interview Questions

• Three problems, the first one is to find the number of elements in a typical range given a list; the second and third one is to do prediction given a time-series data   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted two weeks later for a phone screen interview. The recruiter said that the next round would be onsite, following the rules of a traditional case interview and that he would reach back with a date. Two weeks later he got back saying that McKinsey will not continue the process (I didn't even have the promissed interview after being approved on the previous rounds).

Interview Questions

• Previous experiences (very detailed) and why I'd like to join McKinsey   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in July 2017.

Interview

The People Analytics branch of McKinsey is new and not well organized. I did not know at what time/if I would interview at all until 8pm the previous day. I then had one interview in the morning online, then the rest in person.

Interview Questions

• They asked to talk more about one of my Data Science Project and explain step by step how I got to the final product   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in January 2018.

Interview

The process is traditional and there are in total three rounds. In the first round, I spoke to a HR recruiter, and were asked several questions about my background. The second round is a phone technical interview, which lasted for about half an hour, and the questions were more about fundamental statistical concepts. The third round is a 3-hour onsite interview, including a PEI, a case study interview, and a technical interview.

Interview Questions

• Go through one of your project in detail.   1 Answer
    • Tell me about a time you disagreed with others.   Answer Question