McKinsey & Company Executive Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Executive Assistant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by email to prepare for an online interview. The interview process was very simple. I was asked questions about My background and 3 genuine reasons I should be chosen for the position. I was also given the what if scenarios. I was placed on hold for 30 minutes for a response from HR. I was offered the position and accepted it immediately.

Interview Questions

• No one has ever asked Me during an interview to give 3 "genuine" reasons Their company should hire Me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was more than reasonable

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Executive Assistant Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process was extremely professional

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a certain situation in regards to a "slacking" co-worker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL) in March 2012.

Interview

They do an odd style of interviewing they called "McKinsey Speed Dating", there were 5 applicants and 5 interviewers and we were shuffled through the interviewers offices every 5-10 minutes. Strange. Didn't see, entirely productive.

It seems this place has quick turn over, you could see the current workers were very intimidated by the new line of interviewers probably wondering who was getting fired this week.

Interview Questions

I am pursuing a higher level degree and the recruiter explained to me how there are very little promotion opportunities for Executive Assistants beyond supervising other Executive Assistants.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

After submitting a resume online, I was contacted by McKinsey within 24 hours to schedule an interview within a few days.
    As mentioned in another interview description, the interview process here in St. Petersburg followed a "speed dating" type format; in my case there were 4 interviewees and 4 interviewers. I would estimate that we each spent approximately 10 minutes with each interviewer, each mostly focused on a slightly different topic, but nothing venturing too far outside of general interview questions (e.g., behavioral questions from one, specific experience-related questions from another, etc). Overall, I enjoyed this method of interview; it was energizing and certainly different- and the interviewers were all incredibly warm and friendly.
    The day following my face-to-face interview, I was contacted to schedule testing for the following day on the company's Lotus Notes Simulator. Though I didn't have Lotus Notes experience (having always been an Outlook gal), I was assured that it wouldn't impact my ability to complete the testing. I'm not sure whether having experience specific to the program would have made the testing easier, it seemed to be set up as a fairly stressful test regardless, which was, I'm sure, a good portion of the point. I went through the testing along with two other women and we all agreed afterward that the test was difficult and stressful.
    After interviewing on Monday and testing on Wednesday, I was called that Friday and offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the following situation: One of the Consultants that you support calls you, very upset, because they have missed a flight because you forgot to add it to their calendar. What if you then realized that you HAD put it on their calendar?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was a very brief discussion of salary, but I didn't feel the need to negotiate as the offer was very close to what I was hoping for and the benefits package more than compensated for the rest.

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Detroit, MI).

Interview

I was interviewed several times, upwards of 5. The process would have been standard if the software had worked properly

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult personal failure and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't one, I was offered and took it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2011.

Interview

1st interview: I met with an HR manager. She was pleasant byt held her cards very close to the chest. I didn't know how to read her and left feeling very ambiguous about her reaction. I normally read people/situations very well, so this is notable.

24 hours later I receive a call back. I return and spend 30 minutes with an EA supervisor, another 30 minutes with a top EA with longevity and rank, and a couple other one-to-ones with EA staff. All of them extremely good interviews from my perspctive. My skills and experience were right on the money, per their outlined requirements. I really all four of the EA staff with whom I met--great dynamic.

They were supposed to select a candidate within a week. 10 days later I get called back for another interview. One more EA, which I was frustrated by. Though the meetings all went well, I felt that 6 interviews was a bit much for an EA position, especially when none of them were with the professional(s) to be supported.

According to my recruiter (which, admittedly, might bear a good deal of responsibility for this whole regrettable exercise), they were interested and needed "a few more days." And then, "a few more days."

In the end, after five weeks I was told that another candidate had been selected. I had been really excited about the prospect of working for McKinsey and had such a great rapport with the other EAs that I was really disappointed. But worse, I was very frustrated that I felt strung-along for such a long time.

Lastly, I received no feedback from McKinsey--which could be that they didn't give it to my recruiter or could be that she didn't pass it along. In the end it felt like a big waste of time and energy.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the specific wording, but the HR manager asked some iteration of the classic "what are your faults" question.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

I received the interview through a staffing agency. The interview consisted of meeting with the EA manager, and 6 current EAs. All around 15-30 minutes each. They wanted the candidate to be familiar with a very fast paced environment. The executive assistants were very organized and well managed and all really seemed to enjoyed working at McKinsey.

Interview Questions

• A lot of general interview questions. Why do you want this position? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Largo, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Largo, FL) in January 2016.

Interview

Submitted my application for review and was called the same day. Recruiting representative was very vague with details and did not offer any information other than what was provided in the job description. When I showed up for the interview, I was surprised to find I was co-interviewing. Was brought upstairs where there are 100+ people (ALL Executive Assistants) working in an open work environment. Finally was told by recruiter that I would be interviewing "speed dating" style and would never meet the person I would be supporting. If you want to be a part of a secretarial pool, then this is the job for you. If you support C-level Executives, don't waste your time. I walked out.

Interview Questions

• Presented with a 12 minute math test.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

It was set up sort of like a "speed dating" scenario in which each person interviewing (about 4) went from one office/room to the next and were asked different sets of questions by each interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had family in from out of town, but the person you supported needed your help by staying late to make an important deadline?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I had sent a resume and was contacted by an agency handling the opportunity. I was asked if I could do a phone interview that same day and said yes. What the agency prepared me for and what the phone interview person asked me were totally different things.

Interview Questions

• The first question I was asked was "What exactly did you find interesting about our company."   1 Answer