McKinsey & Company Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Fellow Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.1

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Karāchi (Pakistan)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Karāchi (Pakistan)) in February 2020.

Interview

A prestigious brand name can only carry your firm so far. The only thing McKinsey about the Karachi office is the name, everything else is a substandard localized shambles of a consulting firm. I thought consulting firms were very adept at handling recruitment but Mckinsey Pakistan made every effort to totally dismantle that view. Recruitment process for the Karachi office began in November and final decisions were not announced till June the next year (over 7 months in total). Interviews were scheduled last minute with HR expecting people to simply wait and have their schedules freed up for a 'tentative interview date'. The interviewers themselves were nice and were run like standard consulting interviews. However, the firm took too long to announce its decisions. I was personally lucky enough to receive an offer from another consulting firm and thus get my decision in mid march. However, other colleagues who had been done with their round 2 interviews in February, were not informed till 3-4 months later.

What also particularly disappointed me was the lack of effort made by HR to follow up on my candidacy despite me having cross offers. I was requested twice by the HR person to ask for an extension with my other firm. However, ultimately I could not get an extension and requested HR to provide me with basic details such as compensation and other employment policies so I could make a reasonable decision as I was still interested in pursuing my candidacy at the firm. However, I was woefully ignored at this request, which I am glad as it made it 20 times easier for me to accept my offer at the other firm.

I think its high time that the partners realize that the McKinsey brand name itself isn't sufficient and the image that HR projects upon prospective employees is extremely important.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where a co-worker disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Had an amazing cross offer from another MBB firm (dubai based), Compensation is much lower in McKinsey Pakistan and I have developed a very negative perception of the company culture based on my experience over the recruitment process (simply extrapolating upon the unprofessional displayed by HR)

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Karāchi (Pakistan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Karāchi (Pakistan)).

Interview

I had 5 interviews spread across a couple months. The first interview was a typical PST which wasn't too hard. Similar, to the one on their website. I had 4 case interviews with leadership and they were fun and challenging.
    Overall, it was a good experience and worthwhile.

Interview Questions

• Similar to most cased based interviews. Cases were 30 mins long. Behavioral was around 15 mins long.   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamburg (Germany)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Hamburg (Germany)).

Interview

Interviewed for German office.

3 interviews before noon.

First interview 15 min CV, 20 min PEI, 25 min Case.
    Second & Third interview 20 min PEI, 25 min Case.

If you make it past the third interview, chances are you will get the offer. Don't take it for granted though.

Prepare at least 2 stories for each dimension of PEI (Impact, Leadership, Drive). Stories shouldn't be older than 2-3 years or they will outright reject them and ask for newer ones. Make sure to prep for any possible questions regarding your stories.

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Geneva (Switzerland)) in March 2018.

Interview

I applied online in October and I received the interview call in November. The interviews day was in March. The recruitment process also included one coaching webinar session and one personal coaching session.

Interview Questions

• Each interview is divided in two parts: the personal experience and the business case. In the former the interviewer wants to test your personal impact, your entrepreneurial drive and your leadership; in the latter your problem solving skills.   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Interview

3 rounds for the fellowship program
    First was resume screening
    Second was problem solving test; practice from 3 examples on mckinsey's website is enough just to know and be familiar with the structure. Prepare speed math. Wear your watch!
    Third was personal and case interview in 40 minutes; relates to consultants and their jobs

Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

Interview

The first round consisted of three interviews; Two case interviews with consultants and one interview with a recruiter. The business cases used in the interviews ar slightly different than the 'usual' practice cases. They mix up case categories so that the outcome of the case MUST be based on your own logical reasoning during the interview.

For the interview with the recruiter, be sure to use examples that clearly exemplify a situation here you achieved something or had a personal conflict. The examples should be specified into the exact reasoning and interactions you had during the situation. Don't just give them a story they like to hear; keep it personal.

Interview Questions

• PEI: What is the accomplishment you are most proud of in your life ?   1 Answer

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

Interview

At first I had to be evaluated on a standard test. A month or so after completing the test I received an email message telling that I had passed the test and that I had to do a few interviews/tests.
    Then followed a barrage of 5 interviews/tests were I had to answer a few questions about myself and my track record so far and also had to solve a few case studies.

After this was over I was finally told that I had passed the interviews/tests and I had an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This really doesn't apply to me as of yet. But I think things will flow easily.

Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2010.

Interview

The interview process consisted of a problem solving test and a round of 2 interviews. If you succeeded in the first round, you would pass to a second one, where you would have 2 more interviews. The problem solving test was, in my opinion, very long. I would recommend you to be prepared for this and to practice so that your mind is ready at the time.

In terms of the interview, I would recommend you to be prepared for very general questions, and be able to make an estimation through logical thinking. I don't think it is possible to prepare much for these type of questions. My advice would be to be familiarized with business terms and problems and, when the question arrives, be prepared to apply it in a creative manner. It is also important that you have a framework when you answer your questions, and that you start from there. For the case I would also recommend you to take your time and not rush to answer. I think that the worst thing you can do is say an absurd thing.

Each interview followed the same structure: personal background - you have to provide a situation in which you have demonstrated leadership skills and drive achievement -, case, questions.

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

>>> 1. Runde: Alle Bewerber haben 3 Interviews (je ca. 1 Stunde) mit einem Berater.
    ~~~ Mittagessen~~~
    >>> 1. Entscheidung: Alle Bewerber erfahren in einem 1:1 Gespräche ob sie weiter sind, und was die Stärken/Schwächen waren.

>>> 2. Runde: Ein weiteres Gespräch nach ähnlichem Muster wie am morgen. Ging eher auf meine schwächeren Punkte aus Runde 1 ein.
    >>> 2. Entscheidung: Interviewpartner teilt die Entscheidung mit

>>> Finales Interview: Mit Seniorpartner, nur zur Vertragsunterzeichnung.

Interview Questions

• Consulting Cases + Personal-Fit Fragen exakt wie auf Firmenwebsite beschrieben.   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2019.

Interview

Nach erfolgreicher Online-Bewerbung erfolgt Auswahltag mit drei Einzelgesprächen (Termin frei wählbar).
    Die Einzelgespräche dauerten jeweils ca. eine Stunde: Zum einen wurde der Personal Fit geprüft (Dimensionen Leadership, Drive, Personal Impact), zum anderen wurde jeweils eine Case Study bearbeitet (interviewer-led).
    Feedback war z.T. unklar und nicht hilfreich.