McKinsey & Company Implementation Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Implementation Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and we had an initial conversation for around 45 mins after which I was scheduled for my first case interview over phone. After the phone case interview, I was invited for two in person interview which both included behavioral and case interview.

Interview Questions

• The cases were mostly operations based. They were not very complex but did require a good amount of analysis and math. Not very complex math, only basic but you needed to no more on what math need to be used rather than how it is to be used.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Denver, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

The McK interview process is very structured and unnecessarily long. I made it to the final round (3 total) and did well on 2/3 cases in the final round but didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• very structured, as you expect. PEI and Cases

Pros: The structure makes it predictable and there's plenty of resources to connect with people in the firm, online and books to prepare
      Cons: I noticed a change in attitude by the recruiter once I asked for feedback (almost defensive). I felt that they courted me along and I saw McK's true colors once they decided not to move forward. Ultimately the final offer decision is up to the Sr. Partner/Head of the practice for implementation. They also really do look for their list of top schools and you're likely to make it through if you if you perform the way I did. They do everything to try and mask this fact.   Answer Question
    • Case (the worst from my final round): An efficiency case about a metal extraction problem.   Answer Question

Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview

Good interview overall. I had a couple phone interviews and cases, and then 2 in person interviews. The cases are difficult, but they tell you everything to expect.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer in a team setting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process is really good and everyone you deal with is very respectful and wants to help you, no email goes unanswered in more than 24hours. The interviews are difficult and require a lot of preparation, and the process is as mentioned in other posts, it will be explained to you by the recruiter at every step. It's not about cracking the case, it's about demonstrating the skills needed to succeed as a consultant.

Interview Questions

• Cases and Personal Experience questions, the answer key is on the McKinsey website.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Seattle, WA).

Interview

One of the most fun interviews processes

This was my second time with McK - last time I get pass the final round.

phone screen + 4 rounds: phone screen then phone interview. Then a non-evaluative case interview on the phone (coaching session) then first round in person (2 interviews) and final round (3 interviews)

Interview Questions

• Case interview + situational based on background (how did you drive impact in X, or how did you coach Y, etc)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2018.

Interview

Apply online -- submit resume
    Phone screen -- behavioral (30-60 minutes) (next week)
    Phone coaching session for case interview (60 minutes) -- 1-2 weeks later
    Phone screen -- case interview
    In-person behavioral & case interview
    In-person behavioral & case interview

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you had an argument with a coworker   1 Answer
    • Describe a time you showed leadership on a topic   1 Answer

Implementation Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Initial call with HR, a practice case interview, a case interview, 3 rounds of in-person interviews. They also offer a webex seminar for tips on how to prepare for the case interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Denver, CO) in January 2018.

Interview

Hands down, the most challenging interview process I've experienced outside of the military. Initial phone screener with a recruiter, followed by a practice case interview to gauge skill at business case analysis and provide feedback. This leads into a evaluative case interview (~30 min) and two different on-site interview rounds. My first round was with 2 consultants in Houston (1 in person, 1 by video conference). My second round was in Denver with e interviews (2 in-person interviews and 1 interview conducted by video conference). I have to give McKinsey props for providing feedback during the process and for making resources available for practice, including providing a "senior mentor" with whom I could ask questions and practice cases. I was very pleased with the process until the very end, at which I was told I didn't "wow" the final interviewers enough. All other rounds provided concrete ways to improve as well as tools to employ to build skills. I was disappointed to not get an offer, but I was hoping for more feedback than "you weren't very impressive." Clearly, that wasn't the case early on if I made it to the final round. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.

Interview Questions

• How would you change the US Navy personnel system to recruit and retain the best officers?   Answer Question

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in February 2017.

Interview

two interviews comprised of 15m personal experience and 45m case interview each. It was generally pleasant but I didn't find the feedback very useful. It was the very generic feedback you get from case interviews about "not thinking outside the box enough" and "not going the extra mile". My frameworks "weren't MECE and didn't show that I can go the extra mile" which is great but isn't super useful unless given within the context of the case.

The interviewers were generally pleasant despite deliberately attempting to confuse you during the case which is very normal as they are testing how you deal with pushy or heated clients.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you faced adversity and you had to overcome it through your own drive and passion and you got people to turn around on what they believed in to deliver impact and value.   Answer Question
    • A time where you resolved conflict at work during which your comm and personal skills were integral to the solution.   Answer Question
    • A case interview.   Answer Question

Implementation Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely structured interview process; inital phone call to "discuss your resume" is the first screening, this is followed by two face-to-face (or videolink) interviews, In each case there are 3 different interviewers each asked a behavioural and a case study question. Behavioural questions were linked to the core McKinsey values (Personal Impact, Collaboration and Entrepreneurial Drive). "Describe a time you have coached or mentored someone" "Describe a time you have had to change someones mind" "Describe a challenge where you had to think outside the box"

3 case studies which can be practiced in depth online. Lots of practice required as actual case studies are very similar to practice that is available but the expectation is your answers will be strong and well communicated.

HR is very supportive throughout the whole process and touches base with you before all of the interviews to ensure you are prepared and have access to practice questions, people to talk to etc. Made it feel like a very challenging but very supportive process.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time that you have had to change someone's mind   Answer Question