McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,854 Interview Reviews

3.8

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
    mmmk

Interview Questions

• How many pigs do you need in China?   5 Answers
    • How many tea kettles do you need in Canada?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

I did one online programming exam on HackerRank. There were 3 questions on time series, regression (I guess) and one simple algorithm. The problem was that it was unclear how to read data to process them.

IT Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2018.

Interview

It was a great experience. There were two rounds of interviews. First one asked about your resume and some questions regarding technology. The second round is a business case and other behavioral questions.

Associate Interview

Interview

Typical behavior and case studies. Exactly what I planned for. First round was 2 interviews each with a 30 minute behavior and 30 minute case. The behavioral interviews were both questions "Tell me about a time..."

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Basic phone screen that led to an in-person interview, which consisted of responding to three emails and then taking a logic-based timed test. We then had four separate mini interviews. Each interview lasted 10 to 15 minutes. NOTE: If they feel you are over qualified for this position, you will not get a job offer. I think they want people to stay in this role despite them saying that there is opportunity to move up. When questioned if there's opportunity to move and grow, they respond back with a yes however I think that they want to hire people who want be in this type of job for years so they don't have to keep hiring replacements.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose McKinsey and what do you know about this position?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your experience in prior roles and why do you think you will be successful in this role?   Answer Question
    • How do you organize your work? If you had 4 urgent emails to answer at the same time, how would you choose which one to do first?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Online coding test from hackranker challenge test. The result will be posted in early Nov, which decided the possibility for rd 1. The interview for rd 1 will be in late Nov (but before Thanksgiving I guess).

Interview Questions

• Three coding problems, can choose whatever language I am comfortable with for each one. The first one is similar to sorting & searching question. I did it in R, but last four cases didn't pass because of the time complexity. The second and three are more like statistical modeling of predicting humidity (continuous response variable between 0 and 1) and predicting temperature (continuous non-negative response variable). My initial idea was to use autoregressive model but I had never learned it before. Screw on problem 2 but wrote something regarding what I thought as comment. The test duration was 120 minutes, and I submitted everything just before it ended.   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

There were 3 rounds of phone interview, where they asked about different architectural projects I've worked with, explained them in detail followed by an in person round in NYC.

In person was meeting 4 sets of people from 8:00 am - 1:00 pm and finally meeting the partner.

The offer was severely low balled below market standards, and since October 2017, they cannot ask your salary in NY/NJ and other states, you are arm-wrenched into revealing your salary. Once you reveal your salary they make you sign a legal document which states you were not asked/forced to reveal your salary and are doing it on your own accord.

Interview Questions

• Talk about the time you had to resolve conflict in your team.   Answer Question
    • How do you choose a technology when providing a solution to the client ?   Answer Question
    • An existing monolithic application is explained, and you need to break it down for the cloud and micro-services.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied for a data science intern position online via Glassdoor in late August. I received an email from a McKinsey recruiter that they wanted to do pre-screen and I would receive an email at the end of the week to a HackerRank test. You have a few days to complete it by the deadline.

Interview Questions

• 3 coding challenges in any language of your choice completed in 120 minutes.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in January 2018.

Interview

For the summer intern position, I did not have to do the usual written test. I submitted my application and received an interview invite after resume review. They flew me to the regional office for my first round interview, which consisted of 2 back to back 1 hr interviews with a personal story and a case. I heard back about 5 days later that I had made it to the second round interview. This time it was 4 back to back 1 hour interviews.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you convinced your supervisor to change course on a project.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in January 2018.

Interview

The process is traditional and there are in total three rounds. In the first round, I spoke to a HR recruiter, and were asked several questions about my background. The second round is a phone technical interview, which lasted for about half an hour, and the questions were more about fundamental statistical concepts. The third round is a 3-hour onsite interview, including a PEI, a case study interview, and a technical interview.