McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,761 Interview Reviews

3.8

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
    mmmk

Interview Questions

• How many pigs do you need in China?   4 Answers
    • How many tea kettles do you need in Canada?   3 Answers

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

After a phone interview with HR, a numerical reasoning test, and a verbal reasoning test, I went if for an interview. I had two interviewers, the first was a team member and the second was the hiring manager. The team member asked me basic behavioral questions along with questions about my background in research, nothing out of the ordinary. The hiring manager administered the case study. The case was nothing beyond what the company has told you to prepare for and is on the website, I did not find it particularly difficult. The interview process and content itself was not the reason for my negative review, though. Before my first interview started, I had the overwhelming feeling that the interviewer did not like me for whatever reason. It was apparent in his tone with me, his body language, and the questions he asked me. I felt incredibly uncomfortable. I have been through multiple consulting research interviews with other companies and have never felt this way before, regardless of the outcome of the interview. Further, the feedback I received from HR solidified this feeling, the feedback made from this interviewer made no sense, he said doubted my knowledge about a particular subject, but asked no questions about this knowledge during the interview. The feedback from the other interviewer was well received and I completely understood it. Besides the fact that this left me with a bad taste in my mouth, I was appreciative that HR did call me personally to tell me the outcome of my interviews. Not many companies do that these days, it was a nice personal touch.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Online coding test from hackranker challenge test. The result will be posted in early Nov, which decided the possibility for rd 1. The interview for rd 1 will be in late Nov (but before Thanksgiving I guess).

Interview Questions

• Three coding problems, can choose whatever language I am comfortable with for each one. The first one is similar to sorting & searching question. I did it in R, but last four cases didn't pass because of the time complexity. The second and three are more like statistical modeling of predicting humidity (continuous response variable between 0 and 1) and predicting temperature (continuous non-negative response variable). My initial idea was to use autoregressive model but I had never learned it before. Screw on problem 2 but wrote something regarding what I thought as comment. The test duration was 120 minutes, and I submitted everything just before it ended.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Received the OA after applied online, the total process is 2 hours and 3 questions. You can select any language you want and the OA is held in Hackerrank

Interview Questions

• Three problems, the first one is to find the number of elements in a typical range given a list; the second and third one is to do prediction given a time-series data   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Really friendly and respectful process. On-campus first round and on-site final round. Typically behavioral+case interviews. Enjoyed talking with the interviewers a lot. Many opportunity to reach out the people in the firm.

Data Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The first are coding interview on HackerRank. 4 questions 120 minutes. 2 are data cleaning and regular expression. Two are about data base questions. You can choose any language you want. The next round interview will be on November

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC).

Interview

The process incorporated a resume drop, followed by a first round interview with 2 interviews, and that was followed by a final round interview with three interviews. There were plenty of opportunities to network, ask questions, work with current analysts and so forth.

Interview Questions

• "Tell us about a ambiguous situation you had to navigate, and how you showed your leadership through it."   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

3 interview rounds - phone screen by recruiting, video conference behavioral interview, and in-person case study.

The phone screen by recruiting involved just a few questions, some information about the role and the interview process and an opportunity to ask questions of the recruiter. 30 minute phone call and most of the time was spent on the role and the interview process.

The second phase, the video conference interview with a person in the role, was unprofessionally done. The interviewer was 15 minutes late to the interview. She had no idea for what role she was interviewing me and she had the wrong resume. When I sent her my resume during our call, it was clear when she received it because she was very distracted trying to read my resume instead of focusing on the interview. The blessing and curse of the video is that you can see the interviewer running her hands through her hair and then reading her computer screen.

The interview questions in the 2nd round were not obviously behavioral...in other words, she did not start them with "tell me about a time when you did/faced/were challenged by/etc." The questions were much more general: walk me through your most recent roles and how did you approach the project.

Summer Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2017.

Interview

Wonderful interview experience. Two interviews during the first round, and three back-to-back interviews for the final round. All interviews included a fit portion (PEI) and a case. My interviewers were kind, and the cases were very collaborative. I would advise candidates to ask for clarification if needed...one of the final round cases included a math question which apparently tripped most candidates up. When I was asked to calculate xx, I had no idea what to do. But I asked for clarification about xx and my interviewer's explanation revealed the next steps very clearly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to complete a difficult task on a tight deadline.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

After interviewing with headhunters, went to meet the head HR person at McKinsey (in NYC). Took a test that reminded me of a logic class that I took in college. I then met with the two people that I would be supporting in NY and had a video conference with the person that I would be supporting in CA. I also met with two other Assistants. Received an offer very quickly and started soon after.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions in the format of informal conversation.   Answer Question