McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 19, 2018
1,990 Interview Reviews

3.8

Consulting Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

It is basically the standard consulting interview process. However, McKinsey did add a test that all applicants need to take. The test was pretty hard, there was a time crunch, and they only provide one practice exam. It is hard to prepare for, but just be ready to read and analyze graphs quickly. McKinsey also provides you with an interview coach. They will do cases with you over the phone, but I highly suggest practicing cases with your friends.

Interview Questions

• Just practice as many cases as possible, and work on expressing your leadership abilities in a very concise manner.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They don't negotiate with BAs right out of college.

Consulting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in November 2015.

Interview

Interactive but very very fast paced, they kept asking questions and I was kept on my toes for the entire length of the interview. Wasn't a relaxed conversational interview and I felt uncomfortable a few times in between. But then tough consulting companies do that during interviews to see how fast you can think and respond.

Interview Questions

• Strengths and Weaknesses and how you will improve on them.   Answer Question

Contract Management Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus career site, received a request for a video conference the following day. After the video conference, I received a request for onsite interview. I interviewed onsite, and was asked both behavioral and situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Would you rather be the best player on the worst performing team or the worst player on the best performing team?!   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in February 2011.

Interview

Pretty standard consulting interviews, first presentation, then multiple tests to pass, then two case studies followed by a personality test. Everyone is pretty professional and lay out what they expect from you, which is numerical proficiency and the people skills to get your softs across to the interviewers.

Interview Questions

• One of the case studies was to figure out how many bags Heathrow airport loses every day.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

There are totally 3 rounds interviews. The first one includes a one-hour-test with GRE/GMAT format test. It is a little hard to finish the test on time, since there are 26 questions and require reading and calculation. The second and third rounds are case interviews. The interviewer are all very friendly and willing to help you if you have any problem in understanding the questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

The McKinsey interview process is 3 rounds: (1) a problem solving test (see their website for a sample test) + Case study workshop, (2) 2 x 1 on 1 interviews, half of it is to test "fit" (whether you fit in the McKinsey culture), and the other half is the case study, (3) Onsite.

The process is as fair as it might get - they set you up with a McKinsey buddy, who answers your questions and helps when you need it. Also, they have workshops to help you along, e.g. a case study workshop, and informational sessions to introduce you to different parts of McKinsey (e.g. the west coast business practices, the business technology office).

I didn't make it past the second round; however it is as advertised- if you practice McKinsey-type cases, and work on your fit interview stories, it should be a fair assessment.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2011.

Interview

As a PhD student, I had to take the McKinsey Problem Solving Test before being invited to second round interviews in Atlanta (regional office). Met with two consultants, both incredibly friendly and nice guys, and spent about 10 minutes on fit questions, 30 minutes on a case, and 5 minutes on questions I had for them. Was disappointed to not be called for final round decisions but overall was a great experience. As a PhD, I need to work on being more concise and not as detail-oriented as I have been trained to be.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail a recent personal conflict and how you dealt with it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jersey City, NJ

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jersey City, NJ) in September 2011.

Interview

McKinsey is very eager to spend a lot of time on attracting and interviewing their candidates. However, the interview process is very long and exhausting. The recruiters and lower management are very pleasant and engaging (however a bit clone like), the partners though are very disinterested in the interview process and are quite cold and unwelcoming.

Interview Questions

• How can a company raise cash quickly?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2011.

Interview

first round is math and verbal test in office with a group case study; not too difficult, but you do need to prepare as your math, calculating, and verbal reasoning skills.
    second round is 2 1-on-1 interview with cases; each with 10-15 minutes fit questions, going into really detail. (e.g., your leadership skills examples), and a 30 minutes case discussion, (well-organized, with specific questions and numbers). only key on success if to practice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Cleveland, OH) in October 2011.

Interview

The first part of the McKinsey Interview process is not too bad. I took their test and then had two interviews. Each interview was 1/2 behavioral and 1/2 case interview

Interview Questions

• You are working on a project with a Major Airline running a well known frequent flyer program. The airline has been very successful. Recently you are seeing competition from a low priced airline running the same routes. What do you do?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time when you had to resolve conflict in order to accomplish a task?   Answer Question