McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 27, 2017
1,599 Interview Reviews

3.8

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I was very excited when I learned I would be interviewing for a role with McKinsey Digital Labs. Unfortunately the interviewer rescheduled on me three times each on the day of our interview. After we confirmed the next interview date, I was rejected from the role before even interviewing. Very unprofessional and poor experience.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
    mmmk

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL).

Interview

Screening phone call followed by an assessment test and then "speed dating" style interview. The test was very easy just a few questions on how you would respond to emails and listening activities and the interview questions were as expected.

Associate Interview

Interview

First stage 2 interviews by engagement managers. Second stage 3 interviews by partners. McKinsey gives offers on the same day/the day after the interview. The interview is a case and a behavioral part.

Interview Questions

• What is your biggest achievement, a time you work in a team and it didn't go well, a time you influence others   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. I applied as a senior in college so the first round of interviews was at the local McKinsey office in Boston. As I put the NYC office as my top preference, the second and final round of interviews was at the office there.

The first round of interviews took place with mid-seniority staff, such as project managers. The second round was mostly with partners. I had 2 interviews for the first round and 3 interviews for the second.

Each interview consists of a couple of behavioral questions, followed by one or two cases. In some cases, they will show you data with an iPad and ask you to draw conclusions from it. More generally you'll be given an open-ended case and be expected to structure it and ask poignant questions to arrive at a solution. While preparing for cases I used several case books, most importantly Case Interview Secrets by Victor Cheng. I highly recommend reading this one - as beyond the standard case frameworks it will teach you how to structure arbitrary problems effectively so you'll be more adaptable.

For the behavioral questions, the most important thing is to remember your key stories in detail. McKinsey likes to dig into your answer to:

1) Make sure you're not giving a generic answer.
    2) Really get a good sense of what happened in the situation to understand how your skill set came into play.

Do not feel the need to over-rehearse your answer, it won't come off natural. Instead just make a few mental bullet points in your head about what skills the story highlights about you.

Overall I had a great interview experience. I found the people at McKinsey to be really friendly. I was not offered the position because at the time of my graduation I had little business experience. One of the partners was kind enough to reach out by phone (rather than a drier, generic e-mail) to inform me and give me advice. He gave great feedback that I took into consideration as I moved forward in my career.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time that you had a disagreement with someone. Why was there a disagreement and how did you persuade the person in disagreement with you to understand your perspective?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. Recruiters are completely uncoordinated. I had to remind the recruiter about our interviews and he wasn't even aware of the location for the position that I applied for. Single worst interviewing experience!

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

You start with an SAT style test with questions you have not seen since high school. Then you have an short interview with local staff person. The local staff were very nice and professional. It goes downhill once you have to have a second interview with a staff member in NYC. The NYC staff are very arrogant and condescending. They don't believe a single thing you say and make snide comments about what you say. Hardly discussed the job and were extremely hostile during the process.

Interview Questions

• Why do keep renewing your professional license?   1 Answer

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online. Received a call about a week and a half later from the NYC office. Went in for testing which was extremely easy with two other individuals. I was then called back 2 days later to come in for an in person interview. I interviewed with 2 other girls by 2 team leads, then two more, then the EA manager. Each aboig 15 minute interviewes. Interviewed on Thursday and called back on Tuesday with an offer.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview

Good interview overall. I had a couple phone interviews and cases, and then 2 in person interviews. The cases are difficult, but they tell you everything to expect.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer in a team setting?   Answer Question

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews - all include case and PEI.
    Feedback was very vague from final round - most focused on case performance.
    Would not interview with this company again as they claim to provide support but in actuality provide very little in terms of preparation and feedback.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to lead a team through a conflict   Answer Question