McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

2,558 Interview Reviews

3.7

1. Featured Interview

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in May 2018.

Interview

Great communication, relaxed process. Two face to face interview comprising a case and a personal experience question. Both interviewers put you at ease and worked through the case with you, and asked engaged follow up questions in the personal experience section.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you lead a team through a difficult situation   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through the APD pathway and passed the resume screen to RI. RI consisted of two interviews at the regional office and RII consisted of three interviews at the office of choice. All interviews started with questions about a single leadership story/example and ended with a case. All five of my interviewers were incredibly sincere and engaging.

I had a wonderful experience with the recruiting process. I had to travel for both rounds of interviews and the logistics was easy and low-effort on my end.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had a conflict with a team member. How did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Oneonta, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Oneonta, NY) in May 2020.

Interview

Before interview, there is an Online Assessment on Quanthub which covers Python, R, Statistic. After that, there will be a phone call with HR. And HR will schedule two coaching session for interview. There are first round and final round interviews. Each round contains two 50 min interviews. Each interviews will cover Personal Experience Impact and Case Interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell an example that can reflect you entrepreneurial drive.   2 Answers

Young Leaders Programmer Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The interviewing process was very long - almost six months. First is a skills test online. Then they provide three coaching sessions before the first round of interviews, which is two interviews with associates at the country office. This is followed by another coaching session before the final round of interviews with the partners. Overall, it was a rigorous process and the coaches aren’t kind in their teaching approach. One in particular was quite demeaning and patronizing. The partner interviews are completely different from what the coaches teach and from the first round of interviews. I made great connections but I personally did not enjoy the experience.

Internship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

There were two interviewers. I found that the experienced varied significantly between interviewers. One pressed me much more during the personal fit section. I thought the case questions were easy, but when they are easy that usually means they want you to be very specific and provide a lot more insights along the way.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Two rounds, with total of 5 interviews. Cases and PEIs. Overall not bad or too difficult, just depends on who the interviewer is. Partners can be more straightforward and push back on your answers.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Written interview then two rounds of case interviews. The written interview was math/logic related. Case interviews were in person in their Boston office. Overall very friendly interviewers invested in helping you understand the question and do the best you can.

Interview Questions

• Case study questions related to my background in economics   Answer Question

Senior Product Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in April 2020.

Interview

The interview was a shock for me. The role was Product Associate and they wanted someone with an IT Business Analyst experience in Agile environment. The interviewers however asked questions about their roles instead!!
    Product managers asked questions about product management and the UX/UI lead asked questions about user research and design skills. There was a huge disconnect from the original job description. One product manager was friendly and professional, she was the best part of the interviews. One other product manager was so ignorant and seemed bored from the very beginning. He acted as if he was forced to conduct the interview.

Imagine that you are being interviewed for a Flight Attendant position, and all the questions you are asked are about flying the plane...because the interviewers are pilots!!

I have expected a totally different experience from a big name like McKinsey, now I am very disappointed.

But to be fair, I have to mention that the HR people were nice and professional. The initial chat with HR was very good and way more relevant and aligned with the actual job description.

Junior Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied to the junior recruiter role for McKinsey in their Tampa office. Based on the Glassdoor reviews, I expected a great interview process. The initial interview with McKinsey went well. However, for the second round, they took a week to schedule and then gave me a 24 hour notice for a 2 hour long interview... I was employed and they were aware. I had to take time off with no notice and I was asked horrible questions that didn’t highlight my experience or ability to recruit. I wasn’t feeling well and I knew that I wasn’t performing at my best- I didn’t end up getting the role but I have no interest in working for them after their horrific interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a role model you have at your current job? (Then she kept following up for more detail)   1 Answer

Analytics Interview

Interview

Whole process took about a month and went really smooth. First completed an online assessment with R and python questions. The second round interview was one case and one technical. Final round was one case, one technical and one data science case.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with your supervisor.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

1st round consisted of two interviews, each with a case and personal experience component. Interviewers were friendly and the process is highly standardized so all candidates have a similar experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you influenced a team or a person.   1 Answer