McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,034 Interview Reviews

3.8

1,034 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all Interviews

Recruiter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I was very excited when I learned I would be interviewing for a role with McKinsey Digital Labs. Unfortunately the interviewer rescheduled on me three times each on the day of our interview. After we confirmed the next interview date, I was rejected from the role before even interviewing. Very unprofessional and poor experience.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. I applied as a senior in college so the first round of interviews was at the local McKinsey office in Boston. As I put the NYC office as my top preference, the second and final round of interviews was at the office there.

The first round of interviews took place with mid-seniority staff, such as project managers. The second round was mostly with partners. I had 2 interviews for the first round and 3 interviews for the second.

Each interview consists of a couple of behavioral questions, followed by one or two cases. In some cases, they will show you data with an iPad and ask you to draw conclusions from it. More generally you'll be given an open-ended case and be expected to structure it and ask poignant questions to arrive at a solution. While preparing for cases I used several case books, most importantly Case Interview Secrets by Victor Cheng. I highly recommend reading this one - as beyond the standard case frameworks it will teach you how to structure arbitrary problems effectively so you'll be more adaptable.

For the behavioral questions, the most important thing is to remember your key stories in detail. McKinsey likes to dig into your answer to:

1) Make sure you're not giving a generic answer.
    2) Really get a good sense of what happened in the situation to understand how your skill set came into play.

Do not feel the need to over-rehearse your answer, it won't come off natural. Instead just make a few mental bullet points in your head about what skills the story highlights about you.

Overall I had a great interview experience. I found the people at McKinsey to be really friendly. I was not offered the position because at the time of my graduation I had little business experience. One of the partners was kind enough to reach out by phone (rather than a drier, generic e-mail) to inform me and give me advice. He gave great feedback that I took into consideration as I moved forward in my career.

Interview Questions

• Discuss a time that you had a disagreement with someone. Why was there a disagreement and how did you persuade the person in disagreement with you to understand your perspective?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. Recruiters are completely uncoordinated. I had to remind the recruiter about our interviews and he wasn't even aware of the location for the position that I applied for. Single worst interviewing experience!

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews - all include case and PEI.
    Feedback was very vague from final round - most focused on case performance.
    Would not interview with this company again as they claim to provide support but in actuality provide very little in terms of preparation and feedback.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to lead a team through a conflict   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in May 2017.

Interview

I only had one phone interview with McKinsey. Although I was not moved forward for the position I applied for, the internal recruiter got back to me in a timely manner and gave me detailed feedback and suggestions to improve my skills. It's hard to put a value on that kind of professionalism, but sadly it seems rare in this job market. In this same week, I applied for another positions where I did 3 phone interviews and never heard back - quite a contrast.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL) in May 2017.

Interview

The first step was to go in for a brief assessment test. Pretty straightforward stuff. Transcribing voicemail, drafting emails, and a short SAT style multiple choice test. Then they do a speed dating style interview. You meet with 5 people in 3 15minute rounds. This can get annoying because they end up asking the same questions and you just keep repeating yourself. The first two ladies I met with were very nice and cheerful, the next two looked a little bored and the last lady I can tell was just over the whole process. She asked questions that didn't make sense. She asked me if there was anything in the job description I thought I wouldn't be able to do. It had me at a loss for words. Who asks that?! Of course I'm going to say I can do everything. But other than that it was simple, they were nice.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview

Good interview overall. I had a couple phone interviews and cases, and then 2 in person interviews. The cases are difficult, but they tell you everything to expect.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer in a team setting?   Answer Question

Senior Data Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Walpole, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Walpole, MA).

Interview

I was being interviewed for a senior Data Engineer role. The job description mentioned expect you to know all kinds of technologies like AWS, Hadoop, Hive, Spark, Oracle, Nosql, HTML, Tableau, Informatica, Unix, Python. The process ran for more than 2 months just for 2 telephonic rounds. The first round was conducted by senior digital analyst who postponed the interview twice because of non availability. At the time of interview she was 15 mins late and she asked questions regarding do you know Python Flask, some questions related to Tableau and questions related to work experience. In second round which was conducted by her manager, he asked me questions related to visualization. How do you visualize disease/medicine data, flight delay data? I explained him the flow and tried my best to explain him the d3 visualization. I am not sure if that manager himself even knew d3. In past I had worked on multiple d3 visualizations like interactive plots, hierarchical edge bundling, parallel coordinates, heat maps, chloropeth maps, heat maps, box/bar plots. I have worked all my life in finance domain and visualized mostly finance data. so I think I did well in the interview and even with the talk with the manager I felt the interview was good. I followed up for the next 3 weeks almost 4 times but got no answer. Then I was mailed by the hr after 4 weeks that I lacked depth in my answers. I seriously pity the way the interviews happen in a company called McKinsey. First of all the job description didn't mention technologies related to d3 or plotly, matplotlib. They write everything in the job description and focus only on visualization. Total waste of time following up to get the status.

Interview Questions

• How do you visualize disease/medicine data?
      How do you visualize flight delay data on a global map?
      Answer Question

MD Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

The interview cases were essentially the same as the ones they use for MBA recruitment. Even though I was applying via the MD track, they still expect a level of performance similar to MBA students for the case interview.

Risk Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely unprofessional. I had very high expectations based on their reputation, but they disappointed me. The HR kept rescheduling the interviews I was supposed to have. On the day of my second phone interview, I was waiting for the interviewer to call, but he didn't! I notified the HR, and she rescheduled it for the next day. The next day, 5 minutes before the interview, she called me and said that the interviewer is busy with some work, and he will call me in 2 hours. When I finally had the interview, I noticed that the interviewer didn't apologize even once for not calling on the first day, and rescheduling again the next day. This sort of bummed me out with the kind of people that work there. He couldn't answer my questions about the role, either. What he described about the role was completely different from the job description I had read and applied for. The assessment test was easy. I got called in for a case interview onsite. That got rescheduled FOUR TIMES because the HR couldn't get interviewers together. And the worst part was that they conduct interviews only on Fridays. So this rescheduling went on for a month! I had lost my patience by then. I had kept each Friday free just for this interview - not taking any other calls or interview requests, making sure I was in the city each Friday. But by Thurs, the HR would email me saying they have to reschedule because interviewers are not available. Extremely unprofessional behavior. They had absolutely no regard for my time. I got another offer from another company. I withdrew myself from the process. I didn't want to waste another Friday for a company who clearly doesn't care for their (potential) employees.

Interview Questions

• Basic HR questions, subsequent rounds went into resume based questions, nothing tough.   Answer Question