McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Associate Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 16, 2017

3.8

Interview

Very well structured. All interviewers were very friendly and helped when I was going on a different direction. Cases were different in topic and in difficulty. 1st round interviews were more quantitative and 2nd round ones more qualitative (but I think that's not always the case). I didn't have much time for questions at the end.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Fairly arduous interview process. After applying, I completed a set of online questions/tests. After passing the test, I was offered a first round interview in San Francisco. Was flown up for one day and interviewed with 2 consultants. Interview took place on Friday and by Monday I learned that I had passed. Was offered a second interview for the same week on Friday at the local Los Angeles office, where I had 3 interviews. McKinsey's website does a good job of explaining interview structure.

Interview Questions

• Some cases were quite unusual and difficult to follow. Best way to answer is to ask clarifying questions when you don't understand   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Had 4 back to back interviews for the Operations practice. Even though it was 4 hours long, the process was actually pretty smooth. Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.
    Cases are interviewer led which are different from other companies.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Very friendly and supportive interview process. Submitted resume online, and received a call within a month. Took the PST in the New York office, and was invited back for the first round of interviews 2 weeks later. The interviewers were very nice and made me feel at east at every stage

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Asked details regarding past experience, main goal was to verify leadership skills and personality quality to make sure you have capability to overcome difficulties, especially in interpersonal aspects. The behavioral part took 20min, and then we went through case interview. It was quite typical McKinsey style of case interview, which you will find on their website.

Interview Questions

• Share your experience when you have a teammate is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The applications were on campus from my MBA program. The interview was typical consulting style interview. The first round was 2 cases back to back, with almost no PEI element to it.

The cases were fairly standardized, except that in one case they used an iPad and an interactive exhibit instead of standard paper exhibits.

The final round was at the McKinsey office in the city I had chosen. The interview was 3 cases back to back with 15 mins Personal Experience and 30 mins cases.

Interview Questions

• A case on a furniture manufacturer facing difficulty realizing profits.   Answer Question
    • A case on Automotive aftermarket spares e-commerce vendor   Answer Question
    • A case on a travel company struggling to keep up with competitors   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Second round was a long process, half the day with breaks. Three total rounds, each with personal experience and then case interview. Fatigue over the course of the day can make the interview process harder depending on the duration of the breaks. Interviews were all with higher level personnel. No offer, but was notified the same day. The process, including initial reasoning test, first round, and final round, took about 4 months total

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had trouble with a team member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. It was a first round interview for a consultant position. It consisted of two cases and two personal interviews with two consultants in a group format. Frist, they asked us several questions about our background, why we were interested in consulting, etc. Then we were given a case to solve, followed by a discussion with interviewing consultant about their experience at McKinsey. Both consultant I had interviewer with were very friendly. Even though I did not pass to the second round, both cases and personal interview was informative and interesting.

Interview Questions

• First round interview consisted of 2 interviews in the team of 5 people. In each interview we were given one case that we were suppose to solve together. In each case we were a sheet of paper with chart or table with the data about the company. First question was about how to approach the case, i.e. what framework/issue tree we would use and major areas we will look at. Second question was about some math and calculations. Third question was about general market/competitors/strategy. And the last question was a summary that we would provide for the CEO.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Two very well structured interviews with two engagement managers.

Behavioral part first - they dug deep in the details of a specific experience and sought out implications. Structure mattered as much as creativity in thinking about the bigger picture (both personally and for the other people and organizations involved in the professional experience I was discussing).

Case study interviews were very interesting - one PE-type investment project in a hypothetical water utility company in a new city; required both attention to detail ( eg calculating water volumes in cubic meters and translating it in other units to solve problem) and big picture creativity (eg political risk) the other was more market segmentation & revenue growth driven, more quantitative.

Fantastic experience overall, despite making a number of mistakes in the quant side of the case study that lead to not advancing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team and faced a disagreement and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Two consultants from two different offices asked personality/fit type questions first, and then dove in to the case. Even though the case was presented much more conversational as expected, they still were looking to see very well though out, organized answers in the typical case style. The atmosphere was very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you worked with people and were faced with a conflict.   Answer Question