McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2017

3.9

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process is really good and everyone you deal with is very respectful and wants to help you, no email goes unanswered in more than 24hours. The interviews are difficult and require a lot of preparation, and the process is as mentioned in other posts, it will be explained to you by the recruiter at every step. It's not about cracking the case, it's about demonstrating the skills needed to succeed as a consultant.

Interview Questions

• Cases and Personal Experience questions, the answer key is on the McKinsey website.   Answer Question

Interview

Very well structured. All interviewers were very friendly and helped when I was going on a different direction. Cases were different in topic and in difficulty. 1st round interviews were more quantitative and 2nd round ones more qualitative (but I think that's not always the case). I didn't have much time for questions at the end.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Phone call with HR was about 30 min. We went over basic questions about prior work experiences and how I became interested in the job. We then went over the structure of subsequent interviews. The overall process is long which led to withdraw after this HR screen. I hope there was less hoops and more substance and get to know type of interview.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Was selected for first round on campus interview. Did not make it to the final round stage where you meet with more senior interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team and faced a challenge as a unit? This question was followed by a case study. You then then repeat this progress with the second interviewer to round off the first round. Successful candidates are then invited to the final round set of interviews.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Fairly arduous interview process. After applying, I completed a set of online questions/tests. After passing the test, I was offered a first round interview in San Francisco. Was flown up for one day and interviewed with 2 consultants. Interview took place on Friday and by Monday I learned that I had passed. Was offered a second interview for the same week on Friday at the local Los Angeles office, where I had 3 interviews. McKinsey's website does a good job of explaining interview structure.

Interview Questions

• Some cases were quite unusual and difficult to follow. Best way to answer is to ask clarifying questions when you don't understand   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Had 4 back to back interviews for the Operations practice. Even though it was 4 hours long, the process was actually pretty smooth. Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.
    Cases are interviewer led which are different from other companies.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Very friendly and supportive interview process. Submitted resume online, and received a call within a month. Took the PST in the New York office, and was invited back for the first round of interviews 2 weeks later. The interviewers were very nice and made me feel at east at every stage

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Asked details regarding past experience, main goal was to verify leadership skills and personality quality to make sure you have capability to overcome difficulties, especially in interpersonal aspects. The behavioral part took 20min, and then we went through case interview. It was quite typical McKinsey style of case interview, which you will find on their website.

Interview Questions

• Share your experience when you have a teammate is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

The applications were on campus from my MBA program. The interview was typical consulting style interview. The first round was 2 cases back to back, with almost no PEI element to it.

The cases were fairly standardized, except that in one case they used an iPad and an interactive exhibit instead of standard paper exhibits.

The final round was at the McKinsey office in the city I had chosen. The interview was 3 cases back to back with 15 mins Personal Experience and 30 mins cases.

Interview Questions

• A case on a furniture manufacturer facing difficulty realizing profits.   Answer Question
    • A case on Automotive aftermarket spares e-commerce vendor   Answer Question
    • A case on a travel company struggling to keep up with competitors   Answer Question

Business Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

I was interviewed by two people. Each presented me wth a case and asked me about leadership and conflict. The case interviews were fairly similar to what you might read in Case in Point.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone of something   Answer Question