McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 20, 2017

3.9

290 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Case Interview Method

Be well versed in basic geopolitics, maths, and be in engaging. Be willing to back up your numbers. Remember no one likes to feel stupid, most importantly an interviewer. I'd advise you to be prepared to be intimidated and tired, and even bored, and even asking WTF am I doing here? - things that consultants experience OTJ.
    mmmk

Interview Questions

• How many pigs do you need in China?   4 Answers
    • How many tea kettles do you need in Canada?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online. I found the fit portion very frustrating. There were no "tell me about yourself" or "why are you interested in McKinsey", they delved right into the behavioral question and asked for very specific details.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me a time when you resolved a conflict with your team members/ colleagues"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in September 2017.

Interview

Online application, online screening for quantitative and verbal reasoning, then two rounds of interviews with fit and case interview portions. The first round consists of two interviews with consultants and the second round consists of three interviews with partners at the office to which you are applying.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a conflict.   1 Answer

Senior Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Pretty much what you read everywhere else:
     - Recruiter reached out to me
     - 30 minute recruiter phone screen interview
     - 1 hr practice session
     - 2 hr Webex Case Interview 'Best Practices' and Demonstration
     - 30 min phone Interview
     - 1 hr practice session
     - 2 x 45 min in-person interviews
     - 2 x 45 min in-person interviews

All in all, great experience. Fast response times, approachable interviewers.

Don't take for granted the need for 'in-person' practice... Doing math in front of someone is more challenging than you may think.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Interview

Good interview overall. I had a couple phone interviews and cases, and then 2 in person interviews. The cases are difficult, but they tell you everything to expect.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a time when you had a conflict with a peer in a team setting?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process is really good and everyone you deal with is very respectful and wants to help you, no email goes unanswered in more than 24hours. The interviews are difficult and require a lot of preparation, and the process is as mentioned in other posts, it will be explained to you by the recruiter at every step. It's not about cracking the case, it's about demonstrating the skills needed to succeed as a consultant.

Interview Questions

• Cases and Personal Experience questions, the answer key is on the McKinsey website.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Denver, CO) in February 2017.

Interview

The McK interview process is very structured and unnecessarily long. I made it to the final round (3 total) and did well on 2/3 cases in the final round but didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• very structured, as you expect. PEI and Cases

Pros: The structure makes it predictable and there's plenty of resources to connect with people in the firm, online and books to prepare
      Cons: I noticed a change in attitude by the recruiter once I asked for feedback (almost defensive). I felt that they courted me along and I saw McK's true colors once they decided not to move forward. Ultimately the final offer decision is up to the Sr. Partner/Head of the practice for implementation. They also really do look for their list of top schools and you're likely to make it through if you if you perform the way I did. They do everything to try and mask this fact.   Answer Question
    • Case (the worst from my final round): An efficiency case about a metal extraction problem.   Answer Question

Interview

Very well structured. All interviewers were very friendly and helped when I was going on a different direction. Cases were different in topic and in difficulty. 1st round interviews were more quantitative and 2nd round ones more qualitative (but I think that's not always the case). I didn't have much time for questions at the end.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Phone call with HR was about 30 min. We went over basic questions about prior work experiences and how I became interested in the job. We then went over the structure of subsequent interviews. The overall process is long which led to withdraw after this HR screen. I hope there was less hoops and more substance and get to know type of interview.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Was selected for first round on campus interview. Did not make it to the final round stage where you meet with more senior interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team and faced a challenge as a unit? This question was followed by a case study. You then then repeat this progress with the second interviewer to round off the first round. Successful candidates are then invited to the final round set of interviews.   Answer Question