McKinsey & Company Fellow Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 8, 2017

4.1

24 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Fellow Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

Interview

The first round process had two interviews but they weren't able to evaluate all the dimensions so they called me for a third one. The third one was with a more experienced employee. The questions were the same though.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to lead a team through a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Young Leadership Programmer Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Nairobi (Kenya)) in April 2016.

Interview

I had to fill out an online form and thereafter I received a questionnaire to fill out. The questionnaire outlined personal accomplishments and behavioural component questions. I was then called for a numerical and verbal reasoning test given a case study which lasted for an hour. I was invited again for teamwork training and they would give you a follow-up call to let you know if you can be interviewed by the senior partners.

Fellow Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Luanda, Luanda (Angola)) in June 2015.

Interview

First a Q&A Test. Then Interview process is based on 4 interviews. 2 with mckinsey senior consultants and 2 with clients.
    The Q&A was very difficult, very tricky questions and there was only 60 minutes to answer to more than 50 questions. Interviewee couldn't use any calculator and all calculation had to be done by hand on a draft paper.

Interview Questions

• Why mckinsey? What did you chose this course? Explain a situation when you had problems working in a group?   Answer Question

McKinsey Leadership Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in February 2015.

Interview

1) CV Screening - Submitted CV to a recruiter who then invited me back to do the PST
    2) PST - Problem Solving Test - Quantitative Reasoning test within limited time.
    3) Panel Leadership Interview - Panel interview with one consultant and 2 senior members of MLP program. Involved a number of questions in relaxed conversation format with probing questions into leadership experience and potential specifically.
    4) 2 Case interviews - 2 x 45 min case interviews with an Engagement Manager and an HR specialist. For MLP track PEI questions are not asked at case interview stage due to prior panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell of us a situation from your past experience where you had to lead a team in achieving a challenging outcome. (Not exact wording)   1 Answer

Fellow Associate Interview

Interview

First round interview with McK in Germany. Overall very pleasant and enjoyable experience with some things to pay attention to:
    1.) Do not make math mistakes, they will cost you even if you can convey that you are good at math and they were just bad luck. It's better to take an extra 5 sec than to mess up a calculation
    2.) Choose your answers to the FIT questions carefully...you are expected to dazzle and shouldn't just be giving an average answers.
    3.) On the case, first brainstorm and list a whole mess of ideas that come to mind, then dig deeper and explain the individual branches of your issue tree in detail.

Interview Questions

• The interview overall was not very difficult and everything that you would have expected.   Answer Question

YLP Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lagos (Nigeria)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Lagos (Nigeria)) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process was a 3-stage process.
    First round of interview: Written test or Problem Solving Test (PST)
    Second round was the fit interview or the past experience interview
    third round is two 45-minute case interview with business problems with partners at the firm

Academy Fellow Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2013.

Interview

I applied for an intership at McKinsey & Company and got an interview round scheduled. Both the recruiter and the consultants were very nice people; the structure of the interviews was as usual: one interview with a recruiter, two interviews with recruiters.

Both cases were of a normal level, but unfortunately I did not do well enough to go for a second round. They provided helpful feedback afterwards.

Interview Questions

• I was given a slide with specific information. The question was: what can be concluded?   1 Answer

Fellow Interview

Interview

3 rounds for the fellowship program
    First was resume screening
    Second was problem solving test; practice from 3 examples on mckinsey's website is enough just to know and be familiar with the structure. Prepare speed math. Wear your watch!
    Third was personal and case interview in 40 minutes; relates to consultants and their jobs

Fellow Associate Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2011.

Interview

An initial multiple-choice problem solving test (McKinsey PST is extensively covered on the internet) followed by three rounds of interviews: one in my country of residence (an AP and an Associate) and two in the hiring office (a mixture of EMs, APs, and Partners).

All interviews lasted for one hour and involved solving a case and discussing your personal experiences of leadership, team work, working under stress, etc.. The cases were all rather standard, and the interviewers were very involved and helpful in getting you to cover all aspects of the case and arrive at the right conclusions - no leaving you to wander in the dark for 20 minutes and then announcing that the time is up. Actually, I found discussing my personal experiences more of a challenge, as the interviewers required well-defined, concrete examples.

Throughout the process, the staff at all levels appeared extremely intelligent, level-headed, and fun - I am confident they would have made great colleagues.

Interview Questions

• Give me a concrete example of a situation when you lead a team to overcome a challenge   1 Answer

Accepting the offer would mean moving out of my current industry, so eventually I decided this is not a good idea.

Fellow Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

Interview

The first round consisted of three interviews; Two case interviews with consultants and one interview with a recruiter. The business cases used in the interviews ar slightly different than the 'usual' practice cases. They mix up case categories so that the outcome of the case MUST be based on your own logical reasoning during the interview.

For the interview with the recruiter, be sure to use examples that clearly exemplify a situation here you achieved something or had a personal conflict. The examples should be specified into the exact reasoning and interactions you had during the situation. Don't just give them a story they like to hear; keep it personal.

Interview Questions

• PEI: What is the accomplishment you are most proud of in your life ?   1 Answer