McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

4.0

77 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Interview

Very well structured. All interviewers were very friendly and helped when I was going on a different direction. Cases were different in topic and in difficulty. 1st round interviews were more quantitative and 2nd round ones more qualitative (but I think that's not always the case). I didn't have much time for questions at the end.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Was selected for first round on campus interview. Did not make it to the final round stage where you meet with more senior interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team and faced a challenge as a unit? This question was followed by a case study. You then then repeat this progress with the second interviewer to round off the first round. Successful candidates are then invited to the final round set of interviews.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Had 4 back to back interviews for the Operations practice. Even though it was 4 hours long, the process was actually pretty smooth. Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.
    Cases are interviewer led which are different from other companies.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Asked details regarding past experience, main goal was to verify leadership skills and personality quality to make sure you have capability to overcome difficulties, especially in interpersonal aspects. The behavioral part took 20min, and then we went through case interview. It was quite typical McKinsey style of case interview, which you will find on their website.

Interview Questions

• Share your experience when you have a teammate is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Second round was a long process, half the day with breaks. Three total rounds, each with personal experience and then case interview. Fatigue over the course of the day can make the interview process harder depending on the duration of the breaks. Interviews were all with higher level personnel. No offer, but was notified the same day. The process, including initial reasoning test, first round, and final round, took about 4 months total

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had trouble with a team member?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I went to an on-site interview, which was about four hours. It consisted of two parts. The first was a non-technical interview asking about experiences, with a small case at the end. The second was a large case interview. I did not receive an offer, but I liked the people and thought they did a good job of making the interview comfortable and following up later.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have leading a group of people and describe in detail your involvement.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Very fair, extensive with 3 rounds: phone screen w/ case, in-person 1st round, final round. Phone screen with case was fairly standard except it was a little difficult over the phone. The in-person interview involved a virtual interview followed by an in-person interview. Both interviewers were professional, although the more junior interviewer was very difficult to understand given his thick accent and he had difficulty understanding me.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Two very well structured interviews with two engagement managers.

Behavioral part first - they dug deep in the details of a specific experience and sought out implications. Structure mattered as much as creativity in thinking about the bigger picture (both personally and for the other people and organizations involved in the professional experience I was discussing).

Case study interviews were very interesting - one PE-type investment project in a hypothetical water utility company in a new city; required both attention to detail ( eg calculating water volumes in cubic meters and translating it in other units to solve problem) and big picture creativity (eg political risk) the other was more market segmentation & revenue growth driven, more quantitative.

Fantastic experience overall, despite making a number of mistakes in the quant side of the case study that lead to not advancing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team and faced a disagreement and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Interview

Very organized on their part. It is clear that they want you to succeed. They will give you practice tests and case practice, provide time for you to prepare in groups, and even connect you to current consultants to help you prepare for the behavioral and case portions of the interview.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Definitely less intimidating than I was expecting! Both of my interviewers were supportive and helpful even when I struggled with difficult aspects of the case. I didn't love the McKinsey style of delving really deeply into one personal anecdote -- if you don't have a great story to answer that one specific question, you're screwed. However, overall it was a much better experience than I had anticipated.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you dealt with disagreement within a team.   Answer Question