McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.8

69 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and the initial call went as expected: she described the role, asked me about my background, and answered questions I had about the company and the open rec. She also informed me of McKinsey's case interview style and how I could prepare for it since I have never had that type of interview before. Preparation methods included practice cases and helpful tips on McKinsey's website, a 60 minute non-evaluative case coaching session, a 30 minute evaluated coaching session, and 2 hour WebEx session. Beyond these, I also had one 60 minute call with the hiring manager, a 60 minute video interview with another researcher (30 minutes for a case and 30 for minutes for standard interview questions) within the team, and a 60 minute standard interview (also video) with an individual who was not in the team.

The recruiter was great - knowledgable about the position and highly responsive in her communication. However, my experience with some of the other individuals was more negative.

Of the six total calls I had, two were almost 10 minutes late to the call and did not acknowledge or apologize for it. I also had two interviews run long on time. I happen to be a very punctual person and do not have a high tolerance for lateness, particularly during an interview. Beyond this, it was also difficult to schedule interviews. I have a full time job and did not want to endanger that by skirting my responsibilities and skipping important meetings I had already set up. You would think that, since it was a recruiter who reached out to me, and not vice versa, they would be respectful of that. However, the interview scheduler made it very clear that their schedules were more important and were not flexible...even after they had to reschedule one of my interviews. Additionally, the scheduler accidentally mixed me up with another candidate and emailed me that I had another interview that had started 12 minutes ago, which nearly gave me a heart attack until I took a closer look at the name on the meeting invitation.

During my 60 minute video interviews, I was interrupted a number of times because I wasn't providing the response that the interviewers were looking for. This is not why I rated it a negative experience - each company has its own technique - it's just a fact that I think others may find useful. At one point, the researcher within the team who was interviewing me essentially belittled the fact that all I did to overcome a challenge was "work really hard to meet the deadline". Again, this is not why I rated the process negatively. I think it would be helpful for potential candidates to know what type of personalities they should prepare for when interviewing with the company. If somewhat abrasive interviewers were the only issue, then I would simply consider it a challenging process. However, the fact that interviewers were aloof about the fact that they were late, in conjunction with the painstaking process of scheduling with an inflexible team, made this a negative interview experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Name the biggest obstacle you've ever had in your career, and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

After applying online,got an call from McKinsey HR for telephonic interview and asked basic personal experience questions of past job. More about what were the exact responsibilities of mine of past jobs.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2016.

Interview

Was called for a phone screen, and was asked basic questions about salary requirements, why I wanted to work for the company, why I wanted to pursue the role.

The next step was an in person interview in the Boston area. It was 3 separate interviews and one informal chat. It was a 3.5 hour process. All the interviews were case interviews and had a quantitative component. Despite not getting an offer, the people were friendly and very accommodating and it was a pleasant experience. When notifying me of their decision, the HR rep was also very forthcoming in interview feedback for me as well.

McKinsey Solution Risk Advanced Analytics Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

1, received their email in mid January.
    2, tech screening on March 2nd.
    3, get the SHL test
    4, first round case interview on April 14th.
    the overall interview process is ok, except that you need to write to HR frequently to get your interview scheduled.
    the case interview was a online video conference and I barely lost connection while I was interviewing with Associated Principal.
    case interview is really intense but not really hard.

Interview Questions

• Leadership experience
      Walk through resume( really detailed questions)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone introduction, followed by first round interviews, which consisted of 3 sections of behavioral type questions and a case study.
    Final round interviews had the same format with senior McKinsey personnel, who had the expectation that you would get better through each round.
    There is an emphasis on how successful you are at the case study. Be sure to be organized and thorough, taking care to explain any thought process aloud.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Tell me about a time you failed?
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a team member?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

scheduled a phone interview with technical questions on GIS. after two weeks, scheduled a video interview with senior analyst and research analyst from HQ (two hours). Asked to do the test after the first round interview.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself, what is your weakness/strength, and describe how did you do when you have a disagreement with your teammate.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Interviewed with a senior research analyst. The conversation started off with the typical "walk me through your resume". They were interested in knowing about past programming experiences, as well as general knowledge of current events. It took about 30 minutes in total.

Interview Questions

• What would you expect to see on the front of the Economist next week?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A month after applying had a brief phone interview. All people I spoke with were nice and polite. From the start they were particular in mentioning that the position was Research and not client facing- which was great for me since I wasn't interested in a consultant role. The phone screening was followed by a two hour interview over video conference from their local office. (The job was in Boston, I am based in another state). It was weird talking over video but the whole system was efficient. Two people conducted the interview-one hour each. The pattern was after initial introductions 1. Tell us about yourself (resume deep dive, be prepared with details) 2. Particular scenarios in your academic/professional life (seemed a tad obsessed with conflict resolution experiences but was okay) 3. Case questions- provided with information and then asked question in four parts as to strategy(increasing prices etc), possible solutions/scenarios, a problem in the case, numerical problems(trickiest because of time and pressure, questions not too impossible though). The information was provided verbally so it can be tricky if you aren't used to it like business school students. (I messed up in one case since I forgot he said 'wholesaler' and not manufacturer like I understood. Nerves I guess.It was my first interview after five years.)
    All in all, people were nice, the most fun interview I've been to and good experience. I was hoping for a positive response but didn't get it. Asked for feedback, they said they were happy with my responses but the other candidate was more experienced. Makes sense, I am an entry level candidate with only intern experience.

Also I forgot to mention, you have to take an aptitude test, like verbal and logical/math. Not difficult but the key is PRACTICE!!

Interview Questions

• Wholesaler of towels, but cotton prices are increasing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions

• An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Questions

• what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question