McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 7, 2017

3.9

53 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

McKinsey has a very open and welcoming interview process. The people are amazing and they are really trying to know you as an individual so don't expect any variation on the interview front.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

The process typically consists of two rounds. During the first round, a candidate has two back to back interviews, each consisting of behavioral and case parts. Successful candidates will typically proceed to the second round, where they will be interviewed by the partner. First round interview cases tend to be more structured while the second round ones are typically more open-ended.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the time in your life when you had a conflict with your colleagues?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Standard consulting interview procedure. Two 1:1 interviews (30-45 mins each), half behavioral half case. The interviews were collaborative (not confrontational), but there are an exceedingly large number of very qualified candidates for a limited number of positions, so the process was also quite competitive. Preparation is crucial.

Interview Questions

• Both interviewers asked for almost identical behavioral questions - a time that I had challenges working as a team.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

First round in Boston where my school is (non-MBA professional school) then in NY for the second round. First round consisted of McKinsey Problem Solving Test and a mock case interview; the second round consisted of two interviews, each interview consisting of a case interview and a personal questioning session.

Interview Questions

• Why I'm interested in consulting with a non-MBA degree/non-business background   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through APD track. The first round was the written test and a group case interview with two other applicants. The second round was two set of 30-minute case interview and personal interview. The case interviews are something that you absolutely need to practice for some time, regardless of your background and confidence. They expect you to demonstrate your ability according to their criteria.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with people with different opinions on an important issue at work.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions

• A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

Initial resume screening, Long process with 2 rounds of interviews. First round contained two case interviews and fit questions. Third round involved 3 back to back hour long interviews with joint case studies and fit questions. Personal experience questions are very specific and you need to know exactly what your story is, how you contributed, and what you learned. You receive a buddy at the office you are interviewing with who will call you and give you tips and a practice case if you want it which you should definitely take advantage of. The third round is a long day. I was called to go to New York extremely last minute. At 4pm I was called and told I was expected to drop all school work and get on a 4 hour train into the city to arrive at the office at 8am the next day for interviews.

Interview Questions

• What would a city want to consider when deciding to install public wifi   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Round 1 interview
    Did 2 case + behavioral interviews
    Though I did quiet well both on behavioral and cases.
    It would have been better if I got feedback from my first interviewer who I thought was the one to ding me as my second case interview went really well. Everyone else was provided feedback on the interview but my interviewer didn't even after I emailed her asking for one. That ruined the entire process for me becuase I had really connected well with the company and wanted to get some honest feedback on what I could improve upon.

Interview Questions

• Stumbled a bit on the first case which included estimating an issue with one of the retail package products of a CPG company.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in January 2015.

Interview

2 first round on-campus - behavioral questions first followed by case interviews. Leadership experience, challenging situation, persuading someone. Be sure to have good stories and be ready to share the details when being pressed further. Cases were tough, required a lot of mental math. Always speak out the logic and don't hesitate to ask for a minute if it helps you give better and more logical responses.

3 final round interviews in office - with two partners and one senior director. Great learning and humbling experience. Cases were a good chance to showcase your thinking process. Once you get to this stage, it means you have beat a lot of highly qualified candidates and you have solid skills. Enjoy the final rounds. Stay humble, be coachable.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

All MBA SUMMER ASSOCIATES GET SAME OFFERS