McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 21, 2017
1,622 Interview Reviews

3.8

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2017.

Interview

There were 5 rounds in total. First coding round with 3 questions followed by the code pairing rode in which you need to explain the logic before you proceed to code. Code pairing had only one question. Then there were 2 technical rounds followed by HR.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 strings. Output the number of characters need to be removed from first string to make them anagrams.   Answer Question

Digital Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

1 HR Screen: fairly standard technical HR screen
    2 Phone Interviews: talking about past projects, skills, etc. in depth
    3 On-site Interviews: back-to-back hour long interviews about past experience and skills (similar to phone screen)

no white boarding, no coding challenges

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Employee in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in August 2017.

Interview

Three meetings, of which one with a recruiter and two with consultants. The consultants give a case, where the recruiter is more focused on personality and personal experience. All three will focus the most on a personal experience that you had in your professional career.

Interview Questions

• Could you give me an example of a situation in which you showed your leadership skills?   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL) in March 2017.

Interview

First is the phone interview with the recruiter, and I got the call the same day that I applied. Then, I was invited to the office for an assessment in the same week. The assessment was pretty straight-forward, scheduling appointments, replying to emails and so forth. I received a call one day after the assessment and was in for the final interview. There were three groups of hiring managers that I had to speak to, with basic interview questions.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online, I received a call a week later to schedule a 20 minute telephone interview to discuss my experience and motivations. After the interview, I was invited to do a test at their offices, that tested things like attention to detail, typing, aesthetic sense.

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Interviewed by three different interviewers: one engagement manager and two partners. Each lasted about 30 min long, with first 5-10 min to get to know each other and than the rest to work on a case.

Interview Questions

• Three business cases back to back, two profitability cases and a market entry case.   Answer Question

Implementation Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got called up by the HR directly to attend two phone interview. The interview process was long and very unstructured and un-professional. Even the interviewer was sending SMS message to my personal mobile phone to confirm the schedule of the interview.

Interview Questions

• How much does your current firm roughly charge to the client, say average per month rate in a project?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Two interviewers. They are all engagement managers. Personal experience interview + case interview. Each takes 30 minutes, so in total 2 hours. Then the two interviewers had a chat about whether to pass the interviewee.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to go consulting? Can you tell one of your stories about your leadership? Can you tell one of your stories about how to motivate your team?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Taipei (Taiwan)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Taipei (Taiwan)) in January 2015.

Interview

CV and a cover letter followed by McKinsey PST and two round of interviews. After the written exam, they will contact you for a further interview process. Personal questions (experience)... and case interview two stages of interviews. The personal experience interview takes around 1/4 of the interview time and case interview can take around 3/4 of the interview time.

Interview Questions

• “Tell me about a time when you had to solve an extremely difficult problem”   Answer Question

Senior Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Pretty much what you read everywhere else:
     - Recruiter reached out to me
     - 30 minute recruiter phone screen interview
     - 1 hr practice session
     - 2 hr Webex Case Interview 'Best Practices' and Demonstration
     - 30 min phone Interview
     - 1 hr practice session
     - 2 x 45 min in-person interviews
     - 2 x 45 min in-person interviews

All in all, great experience. Fast response times, approachable interviewers.

Don't take for granted the need for 'in-person' practice... Doing math in front of someone is more challenging than you may think.