McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 20, 2017
1,523 Interview Reviews

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

McKinsey has a very open and welcoming interview process. The people are amazing and they are really trying to know you as an individual so don't expect any variation on the interview front.

Marketing Analytics Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The interview process started with the HR interview round asking basic questions to understand experience and communication skills. A week later, I had a practice case study round that would help me understand how to do case study using McKinsey principles. 2 weeks later, I had to take a formal 30 min case study round over phone. After clearing that I was asked to fly to NY even though the position I was interviewing for was based out of SF. Since I couldn't fly to NY and lose one entire day, I had asked the interview coordinator if I could take it over VC. I had 3 consecutive case study rounds which included both personal experience rounds, case study rounds and technical rounds. I needed a majority from the 3 interviewers to get to the next round. I was told later that I got just 1 vote and didn't get into the final partner round.

Interview Questions

• Within the business case I was given, what would you do if the your variables exhibit multicollinearity?   1 Answer
    • My business case was a time series. There was a question on decomposition of time series   Answer Question

Inter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2017.

Interview

Introductory Phone call after online application. Basic details about the role and some organizational questions. More questions on your background and work experience. It was a good conversation. Not that difficult.

Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2017.

Interview

Online form very creative, informative, refreshing and straightforward, every step was clearly laid out and intuitive but for a global firm they asked the possibly the most illegal questions I have ever encountered. . They litterally ask you THREE times what sex you 'identity with' are you Transgender and if your gay. Who does that? They have absolutely no business asking thst. I am applying for a marketing position. Not a cabaret show. Unless your trying to pick me up at a bar. It's none of their business!!!!

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Unlike the method described at the workshop in the McKinsey offices, my interview for the Tokyo office was a 20 minute phone interview which included my introduction, questions about why consulting and why McKinsey, as well as a brief "case" (see below). The interview was conducted by an HR person.

Interview Questions

• What should Japan do to increase revenue for the Olympics?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The company has a great company culture, provides its employees with good benefits, and offers a flexible work schedule. Safety is a huge priority. Great place to raise a family.

Implementation Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

The hiring process is really good and everyone you deal with is very respectful and wants to help you, no email goes unanswered in more than 24hours. The interviews are difficult and require a lot of preparation, and the process is as mentioned in other posts, it will be explained to you by the recruiter at every step. It's not about cracking the case, it's about demonstrating the skills needed to succeed as a consultant.

Interview Questions

• Cases and Personal Experience questions, the answer key is on the McKinsey website.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

It was thoroughly professional, and a model for all other interview processes. It was split into case studies and competency-based personal experience interviews. At every step, candidates were made to feel comfortable, and success criteria were clearly shared. They really did everything they could to help you be successful, rather than trying to catch you out or trick you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you showed leadership in the face of difficult circumstances.   1 Answer

Senior Human Resources Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

They offer evening interview times. It was a nice experience. I was not ready for the interview questions otherwise I think I would have nailed it. They also gave a test on how you would respond to an email and a check for data comparison. It was easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a complaint, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would your first 30 days look like?   Answer Question
    • What part of the job do you think might be challenging for you?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle being pulled away from your normal duties to assist on an urgent project?   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview was with four different people. Most asked both behavioral and technical questions. Standard questions used on most consulting interviews. Tough crowd - high standards. Have clear processes and methodologies when answering the questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a problem you faced in a leadership role   Answer Question