McKinsey & Company Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The first round is an Aptitude Test, if the candidate is successful they will progress to a second stage, wherein they will undergo two Case Study interviews.

The interviews are in person and back to back, with only a short interval between them. They are divided 50/50 between a Personal Experience section and a Case Study.

Interview Questions

• Personal Experience Questions:

Tell me about a time when you experienced conflict between yourself and another member of your team. How did you handle this situation?

Tell me about a time when you experienced conflict within a group or organisation when you were trying to acheive a specific goal. What steps did you take to acheive this goal?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2013.

Interview

Interview was with 2 engagement managers and 1 associate partner. I did interviews individually with all 3 of them, 1 hour each, for a total of 3 hours. Each interview started with behavioral type questions (example of leadership, conflict, etc.) and then transitioned to a business case. I got two traditional business cases, and one that was more about estimation/back-of-the-envelope type calculations. Overall, very professional and challenging.

Interview Questions

• Your local post office is considering investing in a machine that can automatically sort mails by their zip code, instead of the current manual process. How would you evaluate whether it's a good decision?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Be patient, the process might take longer than you expect. The first step is the McKinsey PST (go to management consulting if you need prep.) The exam is not easy due to the time limitations. Please prepare for this! After this there are two rounds of face-to-face interviews. The first round is 2 or 3 interviews with a 'fit' side in which they ask you to ell a story (about when you were a leader or worked in a team) For this part, make sure your answers are structured and you have thought about them beforehand. The second part is an interviewer-led case (look at Case in Point or Consulting Interview secrets and practice many cases). If you get called back, the last round is similar to the first round but the cases are less structured and more challenging. Overall, you learn a lot and people are nice. Just note that they have a million things going on so it might take longer than you think.

Interview Questions

• Business cases, stories for the fir interview, and the PST   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Milan (Italy)) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview starts with a written problem solving test, which is by and large similar to the GMAT, but it also involves lots of context on the business situation before getting into the analytical questions. You do not have to score perfectly and depending on the cases you might be allowed on the next rounds even if you fail it. Then you have the standard series of interviews with behavioral&business case questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to convince other people to follow your idea   1 Answer

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)).

Interview

They (Mckinsey recruiting stuff) told me that I missed the dateline for their recruitment process. Therefore, I have to wait for 2 weeks for them to reply me. After two week, they asked me to seat for PST test. They advice me to prepared for that. I did not get through after the test.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)).

Interview

The first step in the application process is to submit a cv and depending on location preference a short personal essay may be required.
    The next step in the process is the McKinsey Problem Solving test where candidates have to complete a one hour multiple choice test in the office of the company to test their numerical and verbal reasoning relating to several business cases. The company offered the opportunity to complete a practice test preceding the final test and these were conducted in a fairly informal way in their offices. This section was demanding on candidates maths skills and many candidates seemed to miss out at this point.
    If candidates were successful in the test, they were quickly notified and moved onto the first round of interviews which involved interviews with 2 McKinsey consultants. The interviews consisted of a personal interview and a case study. The personal interview involved focusing on one specific experience in great detail which was very challenging and required high levels of detail. The case study portion of the interview involved working through a company's position and is similar to those completed on their website.

Interview Questions

• I think the most difficult question was in responding to the personal question which delved into personal relationships that I had with other people who I had worked with in the past. They really sought to tease out any tensions that occurred between myself and others and how I had dealt with them. They explored how I dealt with people from different backgrounds and abilities and sought great detail about my experiences and my response to them. The interviewers searched for occasions when I had been in conflict with others and how I dealt with it. Over the course of half an hour or so,They acquired a great amount of detail and really teased out my understanding of my own behaviour and how it influenced others.   1 Answer

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vitória Brasil (Brazil)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Vitória Brasil (Brazil)) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a very hard process, took around 3 months to get into the final step. The managers will give you more attention that the partners, most of the partners are too busy to attend the interviews and you will probably have 2 or 3 times to reschedule your last interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my point of views in very different cases. It is hard to explain, since most of the questions are made for one candidate.   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in February 2015.

Interview

You are first invited to a coaching session covering the fit and the case part of the interview. My advice is to come there really prepared (having already practiced a lot) because you have the opportunity to ask very specific questions.
    They advise to schedule the first round of interviews min. 2 weeks after this session.
    It consisted in 3 interviews as usual for that types of firm. The only thing unexpected was that I was interviewed by a manager, a partner and a managing director (for a first round) because they had too many people to interview.
    The cases were quite challenging but nothing really unexpected. However, they are really demanding for the fit part, asking much more questions/details compared to BCG & Bain. You really have to prepare at least two strong examples for each dimension that you can find on their website (leadership, personal impact, drive). Each interview covers one dimension but other questions might be asked.

Interview Questions

• Describe me a situation where you faced challenging goals, differing opinions, etc and you had to take risks in order to get people on board and achieve the objective.   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Hiring process starts with completing an online application, followed by selection to a Problem Solving Test, Once successful, the candicate takes 1st round interview of 3 hours. Once successful, the take a final interview of 2 hours with partner or director

Interview Questions

• Approaching case interview with little practice   1 Answer

Negotiation

Reasonable

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in November 2014.

Interview

there were two back to back one hour interviews that consisted of 20 minutes behavioral questions and a 40 minutes case interview. The cases were P&L cases, interviewer led. The first question in the case is: figure out what's the problem. The second is a calculation question. The third is thinking about something creative to solve the problem. Think about 4-5 ideas for the last questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you convinced your team to do something they initially resisted   Answer Question