McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

2,394 Interview Reviews

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2011.

Interview

First round: a deductive reasoning test and panel discussion / case studies. The outcome of this interview is determined solely by the deductive reasoning test.

Second round: a series of three 1:1 interviews, all involving an Experience question and a Case interview question. I found the case interview questions to be very similar to the case studies in Round 1, except that the pressure to perform is higher since it's 1:1. I found the Experience questions to be the most challenging aspect - if you don't have the right kind of story under your belt, then it's very difficult to formulate the kind of answer that they want to hear. This is particularly difficult in for PhD recruits.

Example: one of the Experience interview questions essentially required me to describe a situation where I resolved a personality conflict in the work environment. I've been fortunate enough never to be put in that position, and so while I discussed a situation where I resolved a professional difference of opinion, there was no personality conflict, so I really didn't answer the question that the recruiter asked. I think my interview really suffered for that.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you resolved a personality conflict in the workplace.   2 Answers
    • Case interview questions regarding profit / ROI questions, projected market trends, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Detroit, MI) in October 2010.

Interview

2 fit questions about a challenge and a conflict, and case

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2010.

Interview

Associate interviews include the McKinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) and the typical case interview + fit format. Unlike their competitors, McKinsey spends more time in the first round with the "tell me about a time when" stories. The cases were fair and very typical of the McKinsey style - less numbers and graph reading, and more about trying to understand how creative and exhaustive your thought process is.

Fit questions: tell me about a time when you had a difficult interaction with a manager and what you would have done differently to change the outcome of the interaction? Tell me about a time you had to convince ledaership of something, how you went about the convincing and the results of that situation?

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a difficult interaction with a manager, how you handled that interaction and what you would have done differently to change the outcome?   Answer Question
    • What skills are you hoping to develop while working with McKinsey and what opportunities will you seek in order to develop these skills?   Answer Question

Accepted offer with competing firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in September 2010.

Interview

The first round consists of a written test and two group cases. The test is challenging because of the time constraint, but the group cases are not stressful at all. The second round involved 3 1:1 case interviews with a personal experience interview as well. The cases are highly structured and the interviewer clearly wants you to succeed. The final round with partners seems highly random. In my interview, one partner asked me not to write notes, another clearly didn't like my ideas for a company-turnaround case, and the third was just cold. It was very different from the previous rounds. The partners seemed to treat me different from other candidates because I was a PhD student and not an MBA student.

Interview Questions

• How would you address a public school system facing a 100M budget deficit?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in October 2010.

Interview

First round interview (as a PhD) involved a problem solving test (very difficult, mostly due to time constraints) and 2 group case study sessions. Second round interview was 3 one-on-one interviews (case study and personal experience interviews). Final round was 3 interviews just like in second round, but with partners and associate principal.

In between rounds, ample opportunity given to get feedback, practice cases, and network.

A long, drawout process, that makes you feel like you are already part of McKinsey by the end, even before you hear the final result (offer or no offer).

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in which you worked on a team and there was an internal conflict.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation phase, offer was essentially a take it or leave it type.

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2010.

Interview

Three rounds - first round included a very difficult and fast paced aptitude test; second round consisted of three 1:1 interviews with associates and engagement managers; and third round was an interview with 2 partners and one associate principal.

McKinsey paid for travel for each round, even though they only advanced a fraction of those from the 1st round on. Very impressive company, remarkably organized, professional, and it's easy to feel like a part of the team before getting an offer.

One thing that stood out - personality matters. Be friendly and outgoing, and don't look too nervous. A lot of brilliant but awkward candidates who didn't get to move on to the next round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Cambridge, MA) in November 2010.

Interview

1st round - paper-based test to review quant skills - GMAT type questions but harder and more time consuming - also had group case session
    2nd round - 3 1:1 interviews - all include cases - two include behavioral questions

Loved the interview process though I did not go beyond the second round. The interviewers made me very comfortable and I learnt a lot in my first consulting interview. The McKinsey guys went out of their way to help us prepare for the Interview. Was assigned a McKinsey buddy to talk to and practice with. Had on-campus case practice sessions. Website is a great resource.

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dallas, TX) in December 2009.

Interview

Applied online, and my background was a perfect fit for what they needed in the Operations Practice. I had a phone interview for the first round, and then 4 more rounds of interviews over 2 months. The timing was long and drawn out, but the interviews and interviewers were great, and I enjoyed each round. It was worth it when I got the offer!

Interview Questions

• The personal experience interview was very intense, and very aggressive.   1 Answer
    • The case questions were also very thorough and challenging   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in June 2010.

Interview

I applied online on April 2010, I received a mail back in May 2010 requesting more info on my background and academics grade.
    Then I received another email in June requesting me to take a PST test. That I still have to take next week.
    Very long response time, but i guess there should be a lot of us applying.

Interview Questions

• What were your grade and why do you see yourself as a fit for MCKinsey ?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in September 2008.

Interview

3 rounds of interviews.

Round 1: Phone interview.
    Round 2: Flew out to office for 3 interviews and one written test. Interviewed with two associates and on associate principal.
    Round 3: Flew out to office for 3 interviews. Interviewed with one partner, one associate principal, and one associate.

Flow of the interviews was always the same. #1. Ice breaker of "how are you doing", "how the weather", etc. #2. The get to know you phase--some questions about experience, times you made an impact, how you handle adversity. #3. The case portions--always from a "canned" script that was in front of them. Always included a frame the problem section, a math section, and a summarize with your insight section.