McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,820 Interview Reviews

3.8

HR Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied Online. Received email 2 days later. I replied but didn't hear back. Reached out to someone on LinkedIn, got phone screen & radio silent since then. Expecting a bit more from McKinsey.

Senior Analytics Applications Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in November 2017.

Interview

Poorly executed bait and switch tactics. Terribly unprofessional at every step. Disorganized firm, and no understanding of the tech industry. Avoid McKinsey at all costs. These are corporate “solutions” consultants trying to get in the tech game when they have no established team of software engineers and no reputability in tech.

Process:
    - 30 min initial call asking me to interview. I already have a job at a large tech company and they reached out encouraging me to go through the process. Recruiter clearly stated the position and sent job description for Sr Analytics Application Developer.

- 1 hour “technical” phone screen. the first time they scheduled a call interviewer didn’t show up, had to reschedule - red flag already. Questions were only “technical” in that they asked about technologies I used on past projects.

- Email follow up asking me to fly to interview. Frustrating communication delays to coordinate logistics, had to constantly follow up / hand hold and remind them to send me info to book flights through their system

- 3 hour on site interview with 4 team members. I arrived and was informed that all my interviews would start an hour late - had to wait in the lobby an extra hour. No substance, all fluffy behavioral questions. Every single one of them was late to my interview, poorly prepared with no idea of my background. Some of the senior folks were smug Ivy League types. Again technical portion was laughable - the easiest hackerrank question asking to rotate a left/ right array rotation.

- Follow up call informing me I would get an formal offer letter the next day

- Then they kept calling / emailing to explain why there were “administrative delays” and they couldn’t get the offer out

- 3 WEEKS later they finally presented an offer for a completely different junior / entry level engineering position with no job description or any info. At no point during the process did they suggest or ask if I was interested in interviewing for a different role.

- Asked me to have a follow up call with a partner at the firm, and he was apparently too important to show up to the call, much like the initial phone screen interviewer

Classic bait and switch tactics to try and get cheap talent! 👍🏻

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in November 2017.

Interview

Hands down, the best interviewing experience I've had has been with McKinsey. Interviews are direct, straight-forward, the interviewers are incredibly warm and they make their decision quickly.

BRING YOUR A-GAME. I met with a team of four: HR director, Admin director, EA team-lead and another EA.

You will do a scheduling assessment, a time-zone exercise and a mini SAT test in addition to your interviews. Be confident in your answers and be able to explain how you came to your decisions during the assessment. Don't be afraid to think outside the box.

Plan on being in the interview for 2.5 hours.

Interview Questions

• Explain how you would prioritize competing requests from your executives.   Answer Question

HR Generalist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online and heard back from the recruiter a week after I submitted my application. Interviewer was nice, but she talked very fast. I felt like she did not really ask me a lot of questions to understand my background and the call lasted only 9 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL) in November 2017.

Interview

Applied online through an employee referral. Was contacted a few days later for a phone interview, where the recruiter seemed irritated and disinterested. The phone interview was fairly short and covered shift availability and a few simple questions about experience. I had an interview about a week later, where a few very simple assessments were given, (which I was told that I passed) then 3 quick panel interviews with 2 people at a time. Each group of interviewers asked similar questions but were intimidating and most were not very friendly or personable. Was told I would receive a call within a week letting me know whether or not I was being offered the position. I received 2 separate emails about 1.5-2 weeks later saying that I didn’t make the cut.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied on the company website. The first round is consist of 2 one-hour interviews. Both of the interviewers were very friendly. The cases are not too bad and they want to know very specific details of your answer for the behavioral questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a situation when you have conflicts with your teammates. How did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

After interviewing with headhunters, went to meet the head HR person at McKinsey (in NYC). Took a test that reminded me of a logic class that I took in college. I then met with the two people that I would be supporting in NY and had a video conference with the person that I would be supporting in CA. I also met with two other Assistants. Received an offer very quickly and started soon after.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions in the format of informal conversation.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I attend a target school (undergrad) so first round interviews took place on campus, and were conducted by current BAs (so one or two years out of undergrad). Second rounds were in the office. Cases were less structured despite the McKinsey standard format.

Interview Questions

• Describe an instance when you convinced someone of your point of view or to take your recommended course of action.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Interview

First round interviews took place through on campus recruiting -- two interviews, 1 hr each, with both fit and case questions. Second round interviews took place on location with a similar format, but with three interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time when you convinced a group to do something   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL).

Interview

Essentially the same process as everyone else has described here.

First a 15 minute screening phone interview with a recruiter. Then you get invited to a testing session that consists of: answering 3 typical emails that an assistant would receive, listening to 3 voicemails and writing down all the relevant information (time, place, names, companies mentioned), a short assessment on working with international time zones and sorting through a calendar, and then finally a wonderlic test, which is essentially a 15 minute SAT.

Then you are invited back to an interview with 3 different groups of people. Interview with one group of 2 for 15 minutes, then another group of 2 for 15 minutes, then the EA manager for 15 minutes. The office was modern and organized, and all of the employees were kind and upbeat. My final interview was on a Friday and I got a call back with an offer on Monday. Starting pay is $38,500.