McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 24, 2017
1,596 Interview Reviews

3.8

Inter Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2017.

Interview

Introductory Phone call after online application. Basic details about the role and some organizational questions. More questions on your background and work experience. It was a good conversation. Not that difficult.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The company has a great company culture, provides its employees with good benefits, and offers a flexible work schedule. Safety is a huge priority. Great place to raise a family.

Senior Human Resources Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL) in February 2017.

Interview

They offer evening interview times. It was a nice experience. I was not ready for the interview questions otherwise I think I would have nailed it. They also gave a test on how you would respond to an email and a check for data comparison. It was easy.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a complaint, how did you handle it?   Answer Question
    • What would your first 30 days look like?   Answer Question
    • What part of the job do you think might be challenging for you?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle being pulled away from your normal duties to assist on an urgent project?   Answer Question

Risk Advanced Analytics Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was quite a long process. Had a recruiter interview first, followed by a technical screen. Was called on-site for my case+personal interviews. Could not clear the round for the final set of case+personal interviews

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a conflict within a team and how did you handle it? (Very detailed)   Answer Question

Research Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

The interview was with four different people. Most asked both behavioral and technical questions. Standard questions used on most consulting interviews. Tough crowd - high standards. Have clear processes and methodologies when answering the questions.

Healthcare Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2017.

Interview

First round with hr then online test. Then two interviews with consultants. Both have behaviors and cases. The cases weren't challenging but the behaviors can get very specific. Prepare for some really good stories to impress. It's McKinsey so you really really need to stand out well to be seriously considered. I thought I did really well on the cases. The whole process was really long. It took probably two months to finally get to the consulting interviews.

User Experience Design Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Pittsburgh, PA) in February 2017.

Interview

I met with the recruiter first. She was very excited and told me about the opportunity in good detail. She asked me few questions about my background. Then I gave an interview to the Lead designer. the whole process was stress free but elaborate.

Talent Acquisition Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2017.

Interview

My interview process lasted over the course of 3 weeks, with 5 separate phone interviews. As a company that prides itself in recruiting top talent, they truly provide a horrible candidate experience. Their TA Coordinators, who set up the interview and guide you through the process are very detached from the process. Understandably, they are supposed to act as a neutral third party throughout the process, however a good recruiter would lay out what you should expect and what the overall process and timeline is going to look like. After interview for 3 WEEKS, I was completely blind throughout the entire process. After each interview, I wouldn't hear anything back and would just get another email a few days later saying I had another one and that was it. I wouldn't find out who I was speaking with until the phone rang for the phone interview. After essentially being told I should expect a job offer from several of the recruiters interviewing me, I received a generic "we've moved forward with a candidate that better fits out needs" email. As a recruiter myself, they went wrong in so many ways here. A) It should have never been implied on multiple occasions that I should expect a job offer. B) An interview process should not last 3 weeks if you're not going to invest in that candidate. A phone interview for the first screening or two, yes. After that, you should know whether to schedule an in person interview or not. C) If you are going to conduct an extensive 3 week+ interview process, the candidate should be aware of the timeline, and not continue to be strung along. D) Now, as a recruiter myself, I understand the use of the generic rejection emails. However, if a candidate is dedicating 3 weeks of their lives for an INTERVIEW process (not application process....INTERVIEW process), picking up the phone and calling them is really the least you can do. A mass generic email is really thoughtless, lazy, and gives the candidate a horrible taste in their mouth about your company. Providing an amazing candidate experience is ESSENTIAL to talent acquisition. You want a pipeline of candidates in case job offers fall through. You want candidates to recommend your company to their friends, colleges, peers, and network because of the great candidate experience they have. I will never do business with McKinsey ever again. What a horrible talent acquisition team they have.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

It was thoroughly professional, and a model for all other interview processes. It was split into case studies and competency-based personal experience interviews. At every step, candidates were made to feel comfortable, and success criteria were clearly shared. They really did everything they could to help you be successful, rather than trying to catch you out or trick you.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you showed leadership in the face of difficult circumstances.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Very thorough, well-structured, and professional. The process took approximately 3 weeks and I had a phone screen -> two first round interviews -> three final round interviews. PEIs for final round interviews are differently structured than they are for the first rounds, so keep that in mind — during final rounds, they are targeting for a specific trait whereas first round PEIs target a wide gamut of traits that McKinsey seeks for.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you set a stretch goal and achieved it   Answer Question