McKinsey & Company Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 24, 2017
1,577 Interview Reviews

3.8

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Phone call with HR was about 30 min. We went over basic questions about prior work experiences and how I became interested in the job. We then went over the structure of subsequent interviews. The overall process is long which led to withdraw after this HR screen. I hope there was less hoops and more substance and get to know type of interview.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Was selected for first round on campus interview. Did not make it to the final round stage where you meet with more senior interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team and faced a challenge as a unit? This question was followed by a case study. You then then repeat this progress with the second interviewer to round off the first round. Successful candidates are then invited to the final round set of interviews.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA).

Interview

submitted my resume through school, interviewed first round ~1 week later and interviewed final round ~1 week later. Was pretty intimidated throughout the whole process, but succeeded in the first round despite feedback that I could've done a lot better in certain aspects of the interview. I found out day of my final round interview that I got the offer (within 4 hours).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a team and achieved something and what were the obstacles along the way.   Answer Question

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Long and drawn out process, but that was communicated right at the beginning. Me personally, I didn't like the prolonged uncertainty. It took me 2.5 months to hear "No" and I hadn't gone through the whole process! Everyone I dealt with was nice and helpful, at least that's how they made you feel.

This is how it all unfolded:

1) Contacted by HR via email a month after submitting my application.
    2) Phone conversation with HR - discussed resume and one example of a time when I earned trust. We went on to discuss the role, location, pay etc. It was an easy conversation.
    3) If you haven't had any exposure to Case Interviews, HR encourages you attend a Webinar that walks you through it.
    4) Had a 1 hour coaching session over the phone on Case Interviews with an Ex-McKinsey employee (30 mins of actual interview and 30 mins discussion)
    5) 30 minute phone interview (only case) with another Ex-McKinsey employee where they evaluate you. Feedback is provided by HR the next day.
    6) Next comes what they call Round 1. You can request another coaching session before this round. Round 1 was on-site with 2 one-hour interviews. These were with an Engagement Manager and an Implementation Coach. The interviews included a case study and one single behavioral question that they dug into the details on. I agree with a previous poster - I think it was a good cop/bad cop routine or something. One interviewer made me feel very much at ease while the other kept cutting me off and got me a bit flustered.

This is as far as I got, but from what I was told by others I met at the on-site, the next and final round involves 3 one-on-one interviews with Implementation Leaders/Partners in the same format as Round 1.

In hindsight, I feel that the feedback they provided during case interview coaching is too vague. I felt I did better on the cases in the on-site than over the phone. Regardless, when HR called to tell me I didn't make the cut, they said I did well in all aspects except in the case. I didn't develop a good structure and close out the case properly. I wasn't quite sure what that meant, but I was not given that feedback during the earlier coaching sessions. Seems like they are looking for candidates with a certain "je ne sais quoi" to join their rarefied ranks (No, I'm not bitter!).

Since I didn't make it due to my bad performance on the cases, I would recommend focusing on them A LOT. McKinsey definitely seems to value the case performance over previous experience, which seems counter intuitive, but I suppose they know what they're doing.

Out of my 3 evaluative cases, 2 were operational (manufacturing capacity etc) and one profit & loss. I was hoping to rely on my past experience in dealing with the cases, but that was not enough since there is a particular approach they want you to follow.

Interview Questions

• -Time when you led a team through a difficult process.
      -Time when you worked overcame issues with a difficult individual.
      Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Standard two-stage process, each with 2-3 PEIs and cases. FIrst round with associates/EMs and second round with Partners. First round cases weren't too difficult, but they got far more complex in the second round.

Sophomore Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2016.

Interview

Very formal. My interview was via skype. The interviewer was very responsive. We were told beforehand to prepare a few stories for the behavioral part of the interview.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlottesville, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Charlottesville, VA) in November 2016.

Interview

The case interview process was very enjoyable. The interviews were both nearly an hour long, but the interviewers were easy to get along with and wanted to get to know what it would e like to work together.

Interview Questions

• When have you faced a difficult situation communicating in a team and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2016.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Got 2 interviews on campus. Was not invited to an on site interview. Both interviews had case questions and fit questions. The fit questions were odd and a bit invasive. Both parts of each interview clearly had a bit of a stress-test component.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame a great personal struggle.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very structured. There was a very specific flow of events---intros, personal fit questions, case, time for questions. The case was nothing unexpected, pretty much exactly how it's described in case interview prep materials.

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Fairly arduous interview process. After applying, I completed a set of online questions/tests. After passing the test, I was offered a first round interview in San Francisco. Was flown up for one day and interviewed with 2 consultants. Interview took place on Friday and by Monday I learned that I had passed. Was offered a second interview for the same week on Friday at the local Los Angeles office, where I had 3 interviews. McKinsey's website does a good job of explaining interview structure.

Interview Questions

• Some cases were quite unusual and difficult to follow. Best way to answer is to ask clarifying questions when you don't understand   Answer Question