McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 15, 2017

4.0

521 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2015.

Interview

I submitted my resume in person to a McKinsey employee. A week later I had a phone interview with a Senior Human Resource recruiter. After we talked for 1 hour, I had a phone interview with an Engagement Manager. My next step is the practice case interview followed by the case interview by phone.

Interview Questions

• If a company asked you to make them more profitable, where would you start?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

The process consists of a written test followed by interviews, if you pass. McK do their best to make the experience pleasant. I got to second round of interviews, both times the interviewers were friendly, professional and did their best to make it enjoyable.

This is something you do have to practice for, especially for APD's with little management background. Having some work experience definitely helps.

Interview Questions

• Core analytical capabilities in solving business cases in various fields   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2015.

Interview

I went through the experienced hire program as a non-MBA candidate with 5 years of working experience. There were three rounds involved- one PST and two interviews. The interview process was great. I really liked the mentorship spirit at the firm even though I didn't end up getting the offer. My problem was with Case Interviews which I had little prior experience.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 8 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2015.

Interview

Overall, most of the consultants I've spoken with privately did not seem very happy/content, even if they say otherwise. Consultants were stressed out/preoccupied with something else during the interviews. This experience convinced me to look elsewhere.

Well structured support
    Smooth, well-established process

Consultants all stressed out
    Competitive/hostile environment intentionally created by the consultant during group case practice

Interview Questions

• typical behavioral questions involving teamwork, leadership and failure.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online and was invited to the Interview Workshop and Initial Assessment. It contains a Problem Solving test and a two-hour workshop on cases. The test takes an hour and it is pretty difficult. I find that the workshop is very helpful. I heard back the result of the test the next day.

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

This was a 2nd round interview (I had already passed the Problem Solving Test and group case studies in round 1). For APD associate hires in the 2nd round you have two separate meetings: (1) with a junior consultant (an associate) and (2) an engagement manager. They each ask you 1 or 2 personal experience interview questions (one of mine is below), and you have to solve one case study problem with each interviewer. The online preparation materials from McKinsey are very good. Study them carefully. Don't go nuts studying 50 cases and memorizing case structures and that sort of nonsense. Make your stories good for the personal experience interview questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an experience where you had to lead a team and there was a challenging situation you had to negotiate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

To be clear, I just finished the second round. I haven't been heard whether I will be offered the job yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

Very exciting. McKinsey consultants are very professional. The process was pleasant and educational. Interviewing with McKinsey consultants make you want to work for the company even more. The recruiting staffs are very efficient and quick about getting back to the candidates. They are great with emails and scheduling.

Full-Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

This is a first round of interview targeting at candidates who is has/going to get non-MBA advanced degrees, officially called Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment. Most people got invited in my session were PhDs. The first part is a written test called Mckinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) and the second part is two group breakout sessions simulating the real interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Insight program, got rejected, and was offered an interview for a full time position. First round contained two parts: 1. problem solving test and 2. group case study led by current consultant.

The test was pretty difficult.
    Didn't make it in the end.

Interview Questions

• PST composed of three cases and all were multiple choice questions similar to their sample test online   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First round: PST, 2 group case studies. This is slightly awkward bc you are trying to outperform but work as a group with people you don't know.
    Second round: 2 individual interviews, half fit/half case. I think I hurt my chances by going late in the day and late in the week, my interviewer was clearly ready to leave. I botched the second case and apparently lacked empathy in some of my personal stories. I did not make it to round 3.