McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 17, 2017

4.0

Full-Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

This is a first round of interview targeting at candidates who is has/going to get non-MBA advanced degrees, officially called Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment. Most people got invited in my session were PhDs. The first part is a written test called Mckinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) and the second part is two group breakout sessions simulating the real interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Insight program, got rejected, and was offered an interview for a full time position. First round contained two parts: 1. problem solving test and 2. group case study led by current consultant.

The test was pretty difficult.
    Didn't make it in the end.

Interview Questions

• PST composed of three cases and all were multiple choice questions similar to their sample test online   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

First round: PST, 2 group case studies. This is slightly awkward bc you are trying to outperform but work as a group with people you don't know.
    Second round: 2 individual interviews, half fit/half case. I think I hurt my chances by going late in the day and late in the week, my interviewer was clearly ready to leave. I botched the second case and apparently lacked empathy in some of my personal stories. I did not make it to round 3.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I am a PhD (postdoc) , applied thru the school and got invited to interview. The first round is the Problem Solving Test (PST), written test based on math/logic. Second round consists of two interviews. One was with a Engagement Manager and one was with a associate. One interviewer was super friendly while the other interview was more like the much-talked-about "stress interview". I didnt get passed to the final round.But, I thought it was super nice of them (one of my two interviewers) to provide me with very detailed feedback ( about 10-15 minute over phone). Interview process was very well -organized and I feel like I learnt a lot from the workshops, practice cases they arrange over phone, etc.

Interview Questions

• One time when I convinced someone to change their view from A to B.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online and received a first round interview. I was not notified of the interview schedule until a week before. The first round consists of a problem-solving test, followed by two sessions of a case workshop. The entire process during the first round takes 4 hours. They notified us the day after whether or not we would advance to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• The problem-solving test consists of 26 questions and you have 1 hour to complete the test. It is multiple choice and you fill out a scantron. The case workshops afterwards are meant to help you prepare for the second round interview, but the interviewers can influence whether you advance to the next round, so it is important to be prepared for that as well.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in August 2015.

Interview

The interview process was quite clear. Multiple rounds starting with a quantitative assessment and a group case interview. This was followed by two case interviews in Round 2, and then more case interviews and fit interviews in Round 3. Surprised the "fit" portions were minimal. Practice frameworks and case interivews are available. Emphasis on structured responses. No need to be too creative.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Went through 2 rounds of interviews - 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the final round. All interviews were a combination of a case and personal experience/fit. Very important to have practiced case interviews and prepare stories about your past experience that highlight leadership, teamwork, etc.

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions

• A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   1 Answer