McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The whole process is challenging as you would expect:
- Starts with a math test. It is as difficult or perhaps more than the numerical bit from the GMAT
- 2-3 rounds of 2-3 interviews
- Each interview has a case and a personal component.

Interview Questions

• Perhaps the most difficult bit is the numerical exam at the beginning. Make sure you practice just to avoid typical errors. Also be strategic, if a question is to difficult dont spend too much time in it (as in the GMAT) given that the test is timed.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Associate Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

In total 5 interviews with consultants working at McKinsey. Each interview assessed a personal quality (leadership, drive, personal impact) as well as an oral case interview. In the personal quality piece you are expected to describe a situation where you have shown the specific quality and the interviewer will then dig deep into the situation by asking you a set of follow-up questions. Make sure to think through the stories beforehand and analyze them so that you are prepared.

Interview Questions

• Can you describe a situation where you had to make a group work effectively together?
      Can you describe a situation where you had to overcome an obstacle?
      Can you describe a situation where you had to convince a group of people that disagreed with you?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

Interview

3x3 one-hour 1:1 interview
    Each interview divided into 3 parts :
    - experience interview (testing leardership skills, personal impact and achievement)
    - business case
    - questions
    Advice : be very - very !- well prepared, practice and practice again the business cases, write down 3 different personal stories showing off your leadership skills, teamwork abilities, impact on your environnement and personal achievements and then repeat and reapeat them again with friends or in front of the mirror

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one time when you disagree with your boss and how you managed to bring him/her round your opinion.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about one time when you led a team and achieved results beyond expectations.
      Tell me about a mistake.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Mumbai (India)) in March 2011.

Interview

There were three interviews conducted. One interview focussed on the past achievements and the personal story. The other two interviews were case based

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation on the salary.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Mumbai (India)) in March 2008.

Interview

McKinsey came out with an initial shortlist on the basis of our resumes.
    The next step was a logic test that ran for about 45minutes to an hour. The scores are kept handy by the interviewers on the day of the final interviews.

I had 5 rounds of interviews on the day. 3 of them were case interviews, whereas 2 were either CV based or based on personal questions. In the case interviews, the emphasis was on checking the candidates problem solving skills (quantitative / logic skills) as well as structuring of the problem. The personal interviews laid stress on the communication skills and thought clarity of the interviewee.

Very important to be crisp in your responses and take time out to think before you speak. Writing down notes in a legible and clean handwriting is again very helpful.

Pretty friendly firm culture during the interview, and in the office as well.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to choose consulting over an offer from an investment bank?   1 Answer
    • Why do you want to join McKinsey over BCG and Bain?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate the location as well as the function I was hired for. It's extremely important to lock this in before accepting the offer as delaying the same can result in you not getting the preference of your choice.

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

Interview

The Problem solving test (1 hr - 3 cases/26 questions) was difficult to complete within the time limit. Be prepared for reading fast. You might have to guess at the end of the test...

3 interviews 1:1. Best way to prepare is to follow the guidelines at mck.com. They are very usefull

Interview Questions

• Give me your best example from your past where you showed great leadership skills, and took the control of your group sucessfully   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)) in December 2010.

Interview

If your application is successful you are called into to take a 60 minute Problem Solving Test of 26 questions. No question by itself is particularly difficult, but the test is, due to time constraints. Passing this, I was called back to two 1-on-1 interviews with an Associate and Engagement Manager. Each interview had a personal experience section and a case study of the Interviewer's own personal brand composed of a number of general questions aimed to test how exhaustive your thought process is and your mathematical reasoning. For the PEI, make sure to pick a story you're ready to talk about in intricate detail. Once you've picked your story, the interview will unwaveringly pursue it with a barrage of often irrelevant questions.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in City of London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (City of London, England (UK)) in November 2009.

Interview

I think it's quite easy to get the PST offer. And the PST didn't get rid of much of the candidates. The real difficulty is the interviews. I didn't get through to the third round, I got the feedback that I am too personalized about all the achievements and didn't give enough credits to other workers. It's a very good point and the experience is fascinating.

Interview Questions

• How do you address the conflicts that you had in your group?   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Toronto, ON (Canada)).

Interview

I was invited for testing in Europe, 2 weeks after applying, but took the test in Africa as I had relocated.
    The PST was intense, and I learnt the casing on my own.

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

There were two interviews with engagement managers in round 1 (first half personal experience, second half case based) and 3 partner interviews in round two (same format as round 1)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you dealt with conflict in a team   Answer Question