McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

3.9

38 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Miramar, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Miramar, FL) in July 2016.

Interview

Way too complex and long of an interview for the quality of the position. 2 phone calls and 3 hours with 8 people in a room. My future manager was not even present in the room.

Interview Questions

• What is your long term career plan?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The whole process is challenging as you would expect:
    - Starts with a math test. It is as difficult or perhaps more than the numerical bit from the GMAT
    - 2-3 rounds of 2-3 interviews
    - Each interview has a case and a personal component.

Interview Questions

• Perhaps the most difficult bit is the numerical exam at the beginning. Make sure you practice just to avoid typical errors. Also be strategic, if a question is to difficult dont spend too much time in it (as in the GMAT) given that the test is timed.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Interview

N/A - Currently I am going through interviews with top 3 consulting firms. The interviews are scheduled at the end of August. I will come back to finish this part after the interviews.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in December 2016.

Interview

Took the PST and was then invited to interview. The firm provided several resources for preparing for the interview, most of which I took advantage of (but not all--and I wish I had). At the office on the day of, the atmosphere was professional but relaxed, with one of my interviewer in jeans (it was a Friday morning). Both interviewers were engaging and easy to talk to. The interview itself consisted of two one-hour interviews, with the first half of each devoted to the PEI, the second half the case, and the final few minutes to my own questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict in a team setting, and what you did to improve the situation.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Invited to first round interviews (two weeks notice). Had two consecutive interviews at the London office. Each of them included a personal experience discussion followed by a case interview with different consultants.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Fun, challenging, engaging. Very hard!

I have a non-business background (astrophysics), so had to learn a lot of business knowledge in a short time span. They don't require, say, knowledge of too many specific terms, but you do need a certain level of comfort with business concepts.

The reviewers were friendly and very kind, and this is one of the reasons I'm excited to start there!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you led a team that experiences difficulties   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Everything was as expected, 3 interviews, all the same structure, first 15 minutes personal/leadership questions where they actually dig very deep into your answers and the other 45 a case study. The case studies were quite difficult, especially the first question, when you need to identify end-to-end all the possible causes for your given objective.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard McKinsey interview process. Exactly as described on the website.

Initial problem solving tests are tricky - try the official ones online, I downloaded the app for my iPad.

First round was 2 x 1hr interviews. Very impressed by my interviewers, nice guys who made a great effort to reduce the stress / anxiety by just being genuinely friendly and chatty. Personal experience interview (PEI) address the standard topics of leadership and conflict resolution. Prepare this well, they'll 'dive deep' here and have probing questions. Cases were interesting, but tough. I was concerned that I didn't get the second one finished but having chatted with the interviewer he said he a bunch of different places that he could stop; it just so happened we spent a while on the PEI.

Final round was 3 x 1hr interviews with more senior consultants. To be honest, the format was entirely consistent and the senior consultants were great, in my pre-interview nerves I felt they might be more intimidating - couldn't have been more wrong!

HR assured me that I'd have an answer that evening.

Very smooth process!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to resolve conflict in a group you were a part of? Could be a professional, academic or personal setting.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Submitted an application online, received news a few weeks later I was selected for a PST session, took the exam and found out I passed the day after. Had two rounds of interviews (2 interviews 50 mins each) on two consecutive days with the offers being issued on the afternoon of the second day.
    The whole process was extremely professional and friendly, I was assigned a "Buddy" from the firm to help with the preparation process, he was extremely agreeable, always available for advice and mock practice.
    Best process I've been part of until now.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a position of leadership and faced a difficult challenge   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Nairobi (Kenya)) in March 2016.

Interview

I was called for an interview(PST). The duration of the test was one and half hours. After the exam, Naomi Mbugua the recruiter, told us more about the culture at Mckinsey. We asked questions in return.

Despite this, I feel that the PST marking process should be a bit clear, as I am sure I passed the test, but got a regret instead. The results were sent via email, less than 3hrs after we took the test.

Interview Questions

• There were 3 case studies. Areas of study were Market value, market share, revenue etc.   Answer Question