McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Submitted an application online, received news a few weeks later I was selected for a PST session, took the exam and found out I passed the day after. Had two rounds of interviews (2 interviews 50 mins each) on two consecutive days with the offers being issued on the afternoon of the second day.
The whole process was extremely professional and friendly, I was assigned a "Buddy" from the firm to help with the preparation process, he was extremely agreeable, always available for advice and mock practice.
Best process I've been part of until now.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had a position of leadership and faced a difficult challenge   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Standard McKinsey interview process. Exactly as described on the website.

Initial problem solving tests are tricky - try the official ones online, I downloaded the app for my iPad.

First round was 2 x 1hr interviews. Very impressed by my interviewers, nice guys who made a great effort to reduce the stress / anxiety by just being genuinely friendly and chatty. Personal experience interview (PEI) address the standard topics of leadership and conflict resolution. Prepare this well, they'll 'dive deep' here and have probing questions. Cases were interesting, but tough. I was concerned that I didn't get the second one finished but having chatted with the interviewer he said he a bunch of different places that he could stop; it just so happened we spent a while on the PEI.

Final round was 3 x 1hr interviews with more senior consultants. To be honest, the format was entirely consistent and the senior consultants were great, in my pre-interview nerves I felt they might be more intimidating - couldn't have been more wrong!

HR assured me that I'd have an answer that evening.

Very smooth process!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time in which you had to resolve conflict in a group you were a part of? Could be a professional, academic or personal setting.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2016.

Interview

Invited to first round interviews (two weeks notice). Had two consecutive interviews at the London office. Each of them included a personal experience discussion followed by a case interview with different consultants.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had a conflict with someone and how you handled it.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in November 2016.

Interview

Fun, challenging, engaging. Very hard!

I have a non-business background (astrophysics), so had to learn a lot of business knowledge in a short time span. They don't require, say, knowledge of too many specific terms, but you do need a certain level of comfort with business concepts.

The reviewers were friendly and very kind, and this is one of the reasons I'm excited to start there!

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you led a team that experiences difficulties   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Everything was as expected, 3 interviews, all the same structure, first 15 minutes personal/leadership questions where they actually dig very deep into your answers and the other 45 a case study. The case studies were quite difficult, especially the first question, when you need to identify end-to-end all the possible causes for your given objective.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Athens (Greece)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Athens (Greece)) in May 2017.

Interview

First stage was the numerical test (similar to GMAT & GRE) and the case test (classic Mckinsey test) 100 minutes in total . Second stage were two 1-hour interviews each with one engagement manager of the company.

Interview Questions

• The typical case interviews. The one was quantitative and the other qualitative.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2017.

Interview

The first interviewer was biased towards MBAs (as he's an MBA graduate) and told me that he is getting bored interviewing with PhDs for the day. He used English (not our mother tongue) with me for the case but failed to express his question as clearly as I wanted - and he got frustrated when I sought clarification multiple times. I cracked the case when he started using our mother tongue and I solved it right away. It was quiet unpleasant.
    The second interview went fine and in a way as it was supposed to be.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in October 2017.

Interview

Three one-hour one-on-one interviews (20 min. personal experience, 30 min case interview, 10 min. your questions for them) in a row. All were quite friendly, and mostly started off by introducing themselves in a sentence or two, and asking you to do the same.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of where you convinced people to change, if at first they wouldn't take your advice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in February 2016.

Interview

1st round of interviews: 3 one-to-one interviews, one hour each. First, questions about CV and previous experience. Interviewers were all very tricky and challenging: precise questions about past work, challenge of my background, and they expected me to remember the exact words that were said one or 2 years ago about a conflict I had during a team meeting (no question about what I had learned from that though). Second part, the case: McKinsey has a very precise way of structuring their case interviews so be ready for that, and for me, the cases were much more difficult than in other consulting firms interviews. You must be very knowledgeable and flexible about any industry/concept.

Interview Questions

• 1) roads construction company in Island. How to reduce its costs? More like a HR question.
      2) Mine industry, what would be the profit-maximizing value of iron production? It was a video conference interview. The case was based on a graph that had not printed and so needed to describe it to me so that I could draw it. Very difficult case.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in February 2016.

Interview

Exactly as described on the company site.
    Very detailed questions but you get help if you are stuck, don't know if this has a negative impact on your chances.
    Good preparation is required. I prepared fairly thorough but didn't get the job.
    Very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Give multiple examples of situations where you displayed leadership.   Answer Question