McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Junior Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.9

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nairobi (Kenya)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Nairobi (Kenya)) in March 2016.

Interview

I was called for an interview(PST). The duration of the test was one and half hours. After the exam, Naomi Mbugua the recruiter, told us more about the culture at Mckinsey. We asked questions in return.

Despite this, I feel that the PST marking process should be a bit clear, as I am sure I passed the test, but got a regret instead. The results were sent via email, less than 3hrs after we took the test.

Interview Questions

• There were 3 case studies. Areas of study were Market value, market share, revenue etc.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in March 2016.

Interview

First round - 2 case interviews with engagement managers, Final round - 3 case interviews with partners. Cases are probably more interviewer-led than other management consulting firms. Very prompt in getting back to you in regards to progressing etc.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lisbon (Portugal)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Lisbon (Portugal)) in November 2015.

Interview

I applied online (CV + cover letter) and got a reply 2 days later.
    There was first a Problem Solving Test of 75min (you get 15min more than the standard 60min if English is not your native language), which I was able to schedule 2 weeks from then. I studied all the practice tests on the McKinsey website and a couple more that I found online. In the beginning I would answer more than half of the questions wrong and take way more than 75min, but then I started to figure out tricks to go faster and what kind of answer they expected in certain questions, and it got easier.
    After the test I was invited for the 1st round of interviews (2 interviews of 1h, back-to-back), that I scheduled for about 1 month later. In the meantime I read a lot about case interviews and did several mock interviews. The interviews were 15min of fit interview, 30min case, and then Q&A. The interviewers were not that nice, it was clear they hadn't read my CV or cover letter before and they didn't show much interest in what I was saying throughout the interview (except during Q&A).
    Fit: The usual questions.
    Case: Interviewer led, but very scattered: it wasn't clear to me how to connect the several parts of the case into a coherent story. First question is to structure the approach to the case. In the middle there are some computations, sometimes you have to round the numbers up to simplify. I was shown some plots and had to take conclusions from them. No market estimation questions.

I didn't pass the 1st round of interviews. I also did not get feedback about the reasons why, even though I asked for it.

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in December 2015.

Interview

Three stages: PST, first and second round interview. Only managed to proceed to the first round interview which consists of two back-to-back 45 minutes interviews. The interview is interviewer-led style and generally consists of four sections: 1. How you'll approach the case? (framework) 2. Extracting information from a table/graph 3. Math questions 4. Conclusion

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I was invited for an interview. Everything was clearly explained - the personality questions and the case studies they have on their website correspond to what you get in the interview. You are interviewed by two people in the first round (not simultaneously).

I didn't do well in the case study, but that was my fault. I didn't prepare well enough. I think you need to do more than the case studies on their website - you need to get to the point where you're familiar with the structure of a case study, so that the only new thing are the actual numbers. That's purely because you have fairly little time - they're not pushing you, but if you get a couple of minutes to figure something out, then if you bumble about a bit, you've basically ruined your chances.

Interview Questions

• Personality questions: 1) Give us two examples when you've had to sort out a difficult problem in a team situation, 2) Give us two examples when you used your leadership skills.

Case studies: Look at the case studies on their website - they are quite representative, though not as detailed as what you get.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied online after attending some networking / careers event on campus. After a few days, the HR suggested days for PST. My schedule was very full, so I could come after a month. After successful PST, I was offered ~8 different dates for interviews. I did the interviews about 10 weeks after the test. There were two rounds of interviews, each comprising 3 1-hour long interviews). The first round was with managers (EMs), the second round with partners. The interviewers were very kind and helpful and after each round they provided me with some feedback.

Interview Questions

• 1. fit questions (e.g. describe a situation when you worked in a team and it did not go well)
      2. case (20-40 minutes) 3. my questions about the company   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sydney (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Sydney (Australia)) in April 2015.

Interview

The process begins when I applied after attending the firm's presentation at my university. After 2 weeks, an invitation for the first round interview was sent to me. The interview is 2 weeks after the notice. Result for the first round interviews (2x 1:1 interview) was given on the same day as the interviews. I proceeded to do two of the required 3 final round interviews on the same day. The final interview to complete the final round interviews was scheduled 1 week after. After 6 weeks from the initial contact, an official offer was arranged.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me about a time where you have to show leadership qualities.   Answer Question

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 7+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied for a generalist consultant role. (early October)

I was phoned and asked if I would consider a specialist role within the Business Technology Office (which only launched after my application). (early October)

This was followed by a written assignment about myself (mid-late October)

I was invited for Problem Solving Test (mid November)

I was invited for First Round Interviews for early December but I was overseas on potential dates, so this was deferred to January. (late November)

Attended First Round Interviews (3 x 1 hour) (late January)

Invited to Final Round Interviews in April (early February)

Attended Final Round Interviews (2 x 1 hour) in April and was made an offer within 30 minutes of leaving.

Interview Questions

• My interviews all followed the same structure.
      They consisted of 2 parts: the case and the personal experience interview (PEI).

I believe you make a bigger impression of whether you will be a good candidate in the PEI (over the case question).

Expect questions around what YOU did in situations where:
      -you were a leader
      -you dealt with conflict
      -you made an impact

Each interview asked for only one of each scenario.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Stockholm, Stockholm (Sweden)) in December 2014.

Interview

I sent an application online. It took 5 weeks to get a response, and then they asked me if I had any more examples of leadership experience, and asked me to send a new CV including this. Maybe they just wanted me to make an effort, because after that I got an interview.

There were three interviews in the first round with Engagement managers and Junior partners. If I had moved on to the second round there would have been two more interviews with partners.

Interview Questions

• How do we increase the revenues for two year old a local bank, without acquiring new customers.   1 Answer

Junior Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jakarta (Indonesia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Jakarta (Indonesia)) in June 2015.

Interview

I am ready here to interview for speaking. I am here very seriously to interview process.I use the time as well as possible for the sake of jobs in the company. thank you

Interview Questions

• When Graduation from Bachelor   1 Answer

Negotiation

Interview process