McKinsey & Company Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I was contacted first for a phone screening which consisted of typical behavioral interview questions. I was then called back for two in-person interviews and one skype interview. I was asked to complete two case studies.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a specific instance in which you and a coworker disagreed. How was the issue resolved?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

After a phone interview with HR, a numerical reasoning test, and a verbal reasoning test, I went if for an interview. I had two interviewers, the first was a team member and the second was the hiring manager. The team member asked me basic behavioral questions along with questions about my background in research, nothing out of the ordinary. The hiring manager administered the case study. The case was nothing beyond what the company has told you to prepare for and is on the website, I did not find it particularly difficult. The interview process and content itself was not the reason for my negative review, though. Before my first interview started, I had the overwhelming feeling that the interviewer did not like me for whatever reason. It was apparent in his tone with me, his body language, and the questions he asked me. I felt incredibly uncomfortable. I have been through multiple consulting research interviews with other companies and have never felt this way before, regardless of the outcome of the interview. Further, the feedback I received from HR solidified this feeling, the feedback made from this interviewer made no sense, he said doubted my knowledge about a particular subject, but asked no questions about this knowledge during the interview. The feedback from the other interviewer was well received and I completely understood it. Besides the fact that this left me with a bad taste in my mouth, I was appreciative that HR did call me personally to tell me the outcome of my interviews. Not many companies do that these days, it was a nice personal touch.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to do calculations during the case study   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and the initial call went as expected: she described the role, asked me about my background, and answered questions I had about the company and the open rec. She also informed me of McKinsey's case interview style and how I could prepare for it since I have never had that type of interview before. Preparation methods included practice cases and helpful tips on McKinsey's website, a 60 minute non-evaluative case coaching session, a 30 minute evaluated coaching session, and 2 hour WebEx session. Beyond these, I also had one 60 minute call with the hiring manager, a 60 minute video interview with another researcher (30 minutes for a case and 30 for minutes for standard interview questions) within the team, and a 60 minute standard interview (also video) with an individual who was not in the team.

The recruiter was great - knowledgable about the position and highly responsive in her communication. However, my experience with some of the other individuals was more negative.

Of the six total calls I had, two were almost 10 minutes late to the call and did not acknowledge or apologize for it. I also had two interviews run long on time. I happen to be a very punctual person and do not have a high tolerance for lateness, particularly during an interview. Beyond this, it was also difficult to schedule interviews. I have a full time job and did not want to endanger that by skirting my responsibilities and skipping important meetings I had already set up. You would think that, since it was a recruiter who reached out to me, and not vice versa, they would be respectful of that. However, the interview scheduler made it very clear that their schedules were more important and were not flexible...even after they had to reschedule one of my interviews. Additionally, the scheduler accidentally mixed me up with another candidate and emailed me that I had another interview that had started 12 minutes ago, which nearly gave me a heart attack until I took a closer look at the name on the meeting invitation.

During my 60 minute video interviews, I was interrupted a number of times because I wasn't providing the response that the interviewers were looking for. This is not why I rated it a negative experience - each company has its own technique - it's just a fact that I think others may find useful. At one point, the researcher within the team who was interviewing me essentially belittled the fact that all I did to overcome a challenge was "work really hard to meet the deadline". Again, this is not why I rated the process negatively. I think it would be helpful for potential candidates to know what type of personalities they should prepare for when interviewing with the company. If somewhat abrasive interviewers were the only issue, then I would simply consider it a challenging process. However, the fact that interviewers were aloof about the fact that they were late, in conjunction with the painstaking process of scheduling with an inflexible team, made this a negative interview experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Name the biggest obstacle you've ever had in your career, and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

They have one of the most intense selection process.
    I got my CV shortlisted through Employee referral and we were called for Aptitude Test + Interviews the following week at 9am in the Gurugram Office. They had given us link to their website which had resources to prepare for aptitude test and case studies which was very helpful. The aptitude test was of 1 hour and had around 30 complex Data interpretation and decision-making questions. After the test 35 out of the 60 candidates were rejected and sent home. The others were divided into groups of 4 and were directed to wait for their interviews. Astonishingly, instead of a panel, all our rounds were 1 to 1 eliminating interview rounds.

1st round Interview - Senior Team Member - 40 mins
    In this round there were some basic technical questions about financial statements, some questions about my internships which were followed by a guesstimate and some personality questions.
    This was also an elimination round and 7-8 candidates were rejected after Interview round 1.

2nd round interview - (Asia Projects Leader ) - 40 mins
    It was a case study round. Candidates are given a case problem with some data and are required to give solutions considering the data provided. I would advise you to go through some Youtube videos of "how to solve consulting interview case study" as it would help you to get some basic idea of the structure to how to solve these case problems. Again, it was an elimination round and some candidates were rejected after this.

Round 3 Interview - Senior Associate - 20 mins
    It was a short interview consisting of some general economic and finance questions followed by some personality-based questions.

Round 4 - Senior Manager - 50 mins
    This was the toughest round for me personally as it was already around 7 in the evening and being there for more than 11 hours trying not to lose focus leads to mental fatigue and lethargy. But it’s important to stay focused and motivated because it doesn't matter how you performed in the last round as every round is eliminating round.
    So, this was case study + Personality round. I was given a profitability case problem which was followed by personality questions.
    After this round I was told to go home and wait for a mail from their side.
    I received a mail a couple of days later to come for a final round next week.

5th Round - Partner - 30 mins
    This was the final round of the process with the most senior member of the firm. To be honest I was expecting it to be easy round with some HR and personality-based questions. But to my surprise I was given another case study to solve. I was a bit nervous but I managed to keep my calm and provide decent answers.
    I received an offer letter a couple of weeks later which I accepted. The interview process is very intense (probably to remove human bias) but fun at the same time as you get a lot of learning through each of the round. I would advise potential candidates to go through the resources provided by the Mckinsey team and definitely watch some YT videos about solving interview case studies. All the Best !

Interview Questions

• Guesstimate one day revenue of Hyundai Car showroom in West Delhi.   Answer Question
    • Case study - How to increase profitability of a make-up company through salesperson. ( Was provided company background and Data)   Answer Question
    • Case Study - A local airplane company is facing increased competition by new entrants in the market which is leading to decrease in profitability. Provide solutions . ( Was provided company background and Data)   Answer Question
    • Case Study - A local house and car insurance company in USA is facing competition by loss leading strategy of new entrants in the market and hence our losing key clients. Provide solutions to retain customers and maintain profitability . ( Was provided company background and Data)   Answer Question
    • Personality questions -
      Tell us a instance in which you learned from your mistake and performed better.
      Tell us an instance when you faced a dilemma. How did you solve it ?   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2019.

Interview

I applied through the portal on their website and got an email from the HR person in Delhi after a month to set up a phone call. The HR person was supposed to call me at the scheduled time but she ended up calling me one hour late. Questions were fairly general and straightforward. The interviewer was quite rude.

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Made me wait for more than 6hrs just to inform that I didn’t get through the first round.(Not that they had to evaluate many PST papers, it was only me who had the interview that day)

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Milan (Italy)) in February 2019.

Interview

Numerical and verbal reasoning test followed by business case interview and PEI questions. Both tests together took 40 minutes while the interview lasted approximately one hour. The interviewers were very nice and overall it was a great experience.

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The first step of the recruiting process consisted of two online verbal and numerical assessment tests. After passing these tests, I had a call interview with a senior analyst about personal experience and general financial knowledge. A few weeks later I was invited to the office for 3 rounds of case interviews.

Overall the recruiting process was an incredible experience. The HR Recruiters and Interviewers at McKinsey really want candidates to succeed and provide you with all the support and information to best prepare for each step. This high level professionalism really makes McKinsey to stand out from other management consulting firms.

Interview Questions

• - McKinsey's Personal Experience Interview (PEI) questions.
      - Questions related to cases.   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Budapest (Hungary)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Budapest (Hungary)) in January 2018.

Interview

1) Problem Solving Test - 60 minutes, easier than a GMAT (I prepared using the examples from their official website)
    2) Case interviews - I had 3 (each on a different day, lasting one hour). First two were structured cases, the last one was less structured and it involved market sizing and guestimate questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the pizza market size in New York?   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2017.

Interview

The process for McKinsey consists in two round interviews. Both with the same format: Personal Experience Interview and Case Interview, the only difference is that in the second round interview, your interviewer will be a senior manager or a partnet and they are definitely testing for your communications skills and capacity for synthesize.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to be a team player.   1 Answer