McKinsey & Company Junior Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 31, 2017

3.9

26 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

A recruiter contacted me via LinkedIn and the initial call went as expected: she described the role, asked me about my background, and answered questions I had about the company and the open rec. She also informed me of McKinsey's case interview style and how I could prepare for it since I have never had that type of interview before. Preparation methods included practice cases and helpful tips on McKinsey's website, a 60 minute non-evaluative case coaching session, a 30 minute evaluated coaching session, and 2 hour WebEx session. Beyond these, I also had one 60 minute call with the hiring manager, a 60 minute video interview with another researcher (30 minutes for a case and 30 for minutes for standard interview questions) within the team, and a 60 minute standard interview (also video) with an individual who was not in the team.

The recruiter was great - knowledgable about the position and highly responsive in her communication. However, my experience with some of the other individuals was more negative.

Of the six total calls I had, two were almost 10 minutes late to the call and did not acknowledge or apologize for it. I also had two interviews run long on time. I happen to be a very punctual person and do not have a high tolerance for lateness, particularly during an interview. Beyond this, it was also difficult to schedule interviews. I have a full time job and did not want to endanger that by skirting my responsibilities and skipping important meetings I had already set up. You would think that, since it was a recruiter who reached out to me, and not vice versa, they would be respectful of that. However, the interview scheduler made it very clear that their schedules were more important and were not flexible...even after they had to reschedule one of my interviews. Additionally, the scheduler accidentally mixed me up with another candidate and emailed me that I had another interview that had started 12 minutes ago, which nearly gave me a heart attack until I took a closer look at the name on the meeting invitation.

During my 60 minute video interviews, I was interrupted a number of times because I wasn't providing the response that the interviewers were looking for. This is not why I rated it a negative experience - each company has its own technique - it's just a fact that I think others may find useful. At one point, the researcher within the team who was interviewing me essentially belittled the fact that all I did to overcome a challenge was "work really hard to meet the deadline". Again, this is not why I rated the process negatively. I think it would be helpful for potential candidates to know what type of personalities they should prepare for when interviewing with the company. If somewhat abrasive interviewers were the only issue, then I would simply consider it a challenging process. However, the fact that interviewers were aloof about the fact that they were late, in conjunction with the painstaking process of scheduling with an inflexible team, made this a negative interview experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Name the biggest obstacle you've ever had in your career, and how you overcame it.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Delhi (India)).

Interview

The process was aimed at understanding how the candidate thinks. It was fairly diverse, with 5 rounds, and each round completely different. One was a technical round, one a case study, one a pure HR round etc...A great experience for someone just out of college!

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in April 2017.

Interview

Three rounds interviews, lasting 40 - 60 mins each. For each interview, 50% is behavioral and 50% is technical. I interviewed for S&CF practice, and they asked lots of questions about accounting basics and valuation stuff.

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Delhi (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New Delhi (India)) in September 2016.

Interview

CV screening, academic track records, pre-placement talk, preplacement aptitude test followed by 3 stage one-on-one interviews revolving around HR fit, technical stream based questions, and general awareness. The test was similar to the one in the PST App with case study interpretation questions and a Statement of Purpose to be written.

Interview Questions

• 3 failures, successes,Economics, Accountancy, News, Guesstimates ( no. of Huggies diaperssold in Delhi in a month ), Investor Pitch and a stream of CV based questions.   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in May 2016.

Interview

5 Rounds were conducted that included CV shortlisting , PST , HR+ Technical Interview , Technical Interview ( case study and guesstimate and Video call Interview. Overall great learning experience.

Interview Questions

• Any particular situation where you dealt with conflict? How did you resolved it?   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

1 analytic test
    3 case studies
    10 conversations
    First was analytic test, after this, 2 talks with recruiters. Next day results.
    Week later 4 conversations, 2 with recruiters, 2 with team members across the world, by Video Conference.(Xmas approched)
    Some time later 4 next talks, with managers, and chiefs of continental and world groups. And with team members.

After this work offer.

Same questions repeated frequently. Analytic skills needed, and intelligence.

Interview Questions

• What was the most challenging situation in your life, how you get out?   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Wrocław (Poland)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Wrocław (Poland)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied online and got a call from a recruiter a few days later. First, I had a standard phone interview, talking about my experience and skills and motivation for changing jobs. Then, at the spot I was offered an on-site interview event a week later, and an online test in between. The event consisted of two interviews. The interviewers were really nice and professional. A couple of days later I got a call inviting me to the second round interviews, which happened later that week. 2 case interviews, very professional interviewers, a nice atmosphere. I got the offer the same day via phone. Overall, it was a really positive experience.

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2015.

Interview

Very professional on written test offer. prepare a perfect CV is crucial as a first round. It was taken 2 weeks to get a response, then got a phone call to double-check if you still are interested in this position. If so, received a conformational mail for a written test.

Interview Questions

• About analytical and math questions related to different types of companies.   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied through recruiter, 1 writing test and 6 rounds of 1:1 interviews.
    Interviews lasts around 30 minutes, with both behavior questions(around 20 minutes) and case questions (less than 15 minutes). the cases are very straight forward.

Interview Questions

• What are the ways to forecast the demand of steel in China?   Answer Question

Junior Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Johannesburg (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Johannesburg (South Africa)) in June 2015.

Interview

You first apply online. then you get invited to write the PST ( Mckinsey problem solving test) which is a 1 hour 30 min test on problem solving. if you pass that test you get invited to a coaching session where you are coached on how to do a case interview and how to answer personal experience interviews, htis is not tested. you then get invited to the first round of case interviews with potential collegues or team leaders, three 1 hour interviews back to back. if your're succesfull you will get invited to 2 back to back case interviews with partners of the firm.