McKinsey & Company Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Interview Questions in Los Angeles, CA

4.1

13 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Second round was a long process, half the day with breaks. Three total rounds, each with personal experience and then case interview. Fatigue over the course of the day can make the interview process harder depending on the duration of the breaks. Interviews were all with higher level personnel. No offer, but was notified the same day. The process, including initial reasoning test, first round, and final round, took about 4 months total

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had trouble with a team member?   Answer Question

Communication Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Interview over lunch with two hiring managers. I got the interview via a friend. We had a congenial conversation with the emphasis on culture fit. The position supported their consultants in their role, it was not the traditional consultant position. The interviewers focused on how I might support an individual and give constructive feedback.

Service Delivery Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I applied through the company's website. The entire process lasted around 12 weeks. The first interview was with the recruiter which lasted around 45 minutes. This followed with seven more interviews with peers, would be supervisor, head of client services and partner. Each interview lasted for an hour or more. There were business cases, situational cases, behavioral, and fit questions. I also felt in couple of interviews they wanted to understand how do I deal with high pressure situations. Besides preparing well for business case, preparation for situational cases are vital as well. Please do not underestimate them.

Interview Questions

• Fit and behavioral questions revolved around prior experience, client management, team management, planning, etc. Business cases was a profitability case about a server company.

There were business situation mini cases in three interviews which focused on client expectation management and team work. These get really intense so preparation definitely would help.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

I was headhunted by an employment agent. The first leg of the process consisted of an intense set of timed skill tests. I sat across from another candidate, scribbling away. I had serious doubts they would call me in for a face-to-face interview even though I thought I performed satisfactorily. As it turned out, I tested well and was, remarkably, the only one out of ten people called back for an interview, which didn't delight me so much as surprise me. I mean the tests were not that hard, you know? The second (and final) leg of the process consisted of two straight hours worth of interviews. It was much more grueling for me than the testing process. I've been with my present company for over 8 years and had not interviewed in quite some time. I was sometimes tongue tied. Sometimes caught of guard.

Interview Questions

• What is your dream job? Why do you want to work at McKinsey? Describe yourself in five words.   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I submitted an application online and received a first round interview. I was not notified of the interview schedule until a week before. The first round consists of a problem-solving test, followed by two sessions of a case workshop. The entire process during the first round takes 4 hours. They notified us the day after whether or not we would advance to the next stage.

Interview Questions

• The problem-solving test consists of 26 questions and you have 1 hour to complete the test. It is multiple choice and you fill out a scantron. The case workshops afterwards are meant to help you prepare for the second round interview, but the interviewers can influence whether you advance to the next round, so it is important to be prepared for that as well.   Answer Question

Facilitator (Management Consultant) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

The interview process took approximately 2 1/2 months. They Fully reviewed my resume. There were a lot of case and scenario based interviews. Make sure you are prepared to respond to these types of questions. The process was very thorough and structured. I was impressed by the team members I met. Top notch firm! Honored to have been working there.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Base salary was non-negotiable, Bonus was negotiable.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was referred to McKinsey as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited to the round one interview (IWIA). The IWIA consisted of the problem-solving test and two group cases. The second round interview consisted of two one-on-one cases.

Interview Questions

• A frequent flyer program is concerned about the entrant of a low-cost airline into the US market. What should they do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Case interviews and fit interviews. Generally 2 rounds for the summer associate position with a total of 5 interviews. Each interview will have a case and a fit portion, the fit portion is about 20 minutes and the case is about 25 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied to McKinsey through my college's on campus recruiting office. First round of interviews were a combination of "fit" questions (walk me through your background, tell me about a time you held a leadership position, etc.) before a standard case interview. Made it through to the final round where I met 5-6 others. Each of these interviews in the final round also had a case. McKinsey was very responsive and I heard back later that afternoon that I did not get the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a leadership position.   1 Answer

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I got literally one day's notice before my interview, so I feel like I was set up to fail. No "buddy" no "coaching" no help whatsoever. I had two phone interview case studies, which are almost impossible to do over the phone, because so much of a case study is body language and/or charts and graphs that they should give you on paper.

One interview went OK, although the phone connection on the interviewer's end was horrible. The other interview was awful. The person who interviewed me spent at least 50% of the time talking about themselves and all their amazing career accomplishments, so then the case portion was rushed and I did not have enough time to finish. The interviewer also snapped at me if I did not understand immediately what they wanted.

A week later, an admin sent me a rejection notice. No feedback provided. It's very depressing once you realize how much the game is rigged towards the Ivy Leaguers. They get coaching from McKinsey, they get a "buddy" who helps them prepare, they get weeks and weeks of notice for interviewers. Thus, the McKinsey interviewing system very simply perpetuates this machine of Ivy Leaguers helping other Ivy Leaguers. Any one outside of that system has very very very little chance of getting in. How could they? The Ivy Leaguers have all of the advantages and are allowed more leeway than anyone else applying.

McKinsey prides itself of being a meritocracy but this is a total joke. If it was, where was my coach? Where was my buddy? Where is my interview feedback? Where the interviewer who should be trying to help me succeed (as referenced in the other reviews)? Why did I get a rejection email from an admin, rather than a call from the person who interviewed me? Why did I not get the same treatment as those who went to fancy schools even though I interviewed for the same job?

If I sound bitter, I am. I was set up.

Interview Questions

• It was all hard because the phone line was so bad and they were unclear. They did not seem at all interested in seeing me succeed.   Answer Question