McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2017

4.0

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Interview

Very well structured. All interviewers were very friendly and helped when I was going on a different direction. Cases were different in topic and in difficulty. 1st round interviews were more quantitative and 2nd round ones more qualitative (but I think that's not always the case). I didn't have much time for questions at the end.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

Had 4 back to back interviews for the Operations practice. Even though it was 4 hours long, the process was actually pretty smooth. Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.
    Cases are interviewer led which are different from other companies.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared with stories on Personal Impact, Entrepreneurial Drive, Problem Solving Skills and Leadership Abilities.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Asked details regarding past experience, main goal was to verify leadership skills and personality quality to make sure you have capability to overcome difficulties, especially in interpersonal aspects. The behavioral part took 20min, and then we went through case interview. It was quite typical McKinsey style of case interview, which you will find on their website.

Interview Questions

• Share your experience when you have a teammate is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Second round was a long process, half the day with breaks. Three total rounds, each with personal experience and then case interview. Fatigue over the course of the day can make the interview process harder depending on the duration of the breaks. Interviews were all with higher level personnel. No offer, but was notified the same day. The process, including initial reasoning test, first round, and final round, took about 4 months total

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had trouble with a team member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Two very well structured interviews with two engagement managers.

Behavioral part first - they dug deep in the details of a specific experience and sought out implications. Structure mattered as much as creativity in thinking about the bigger picture (both personally and for the other people and organizations involved in the professional experience I was discussing).

Case study interviews were very interesting - one PE-type investment project in a hypothetical water utility company in a new city; required both attention to detail ( eg calculating water volumes in cubic meters and translating it in other units to solve problem) and big picture creativity (eg political risk) the other was more market segmentation & revenue growth driven, more quantitative.

Fantastic experience overall, despite making a number of mistakes in the quant side of the case study that lead to not advancing.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked in a team and faced a disagreement and how you went about resolving it.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Very structured process. Overall transparent. Candidate needs to do a fair amount of research and preparation. Case interviews are a matter of practice. The personal fit section of the interviews cannot be improvised.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, process was formal and professional, HR wants to make sure they are hiring the best and the brightest.

I would have been what they call an experienced hire, meaning not someone straight out of undergrad or business school. I think the process for experienced hires is a bit more vague, and it seems like most people who land a job here get it through a campus recruiting program.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through school. 1st round interview and followed by 2nd round with partner. 1st round was case based and also had behavioral component. Recommend interviewer led cases. 2nd round was more behavioral and some ad hoc cases

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

1st round PST and 2nd round onsite interview.
    1st interview includes PST and two group case practices. Seems that only PST counts for whether getting into next round or not.

2nd round included two sessions. 15 mins personal experience and 30 mins case interview. Mostly engagement manager will lead the case

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a party of multi-interest and multi-background?   Answer Question