McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Interview

Had a friend refer me, did the pre-test and passed, did not make it through the first round of case interviews. I was in the middle of grad school and did not put in the amount of time necessary to practice for the case studies. A couple of my friends who made it to the final round and/or got offers essentially put their graduate studies on hold for a few weeks to solely focus on case prep--to truly be successful, that type of commitment is necessary.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was that difficult or unexpected--it's just important to be really familiar with various cases.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, process was formal and professional, HR wants to make sure they are hiring the best and the brightest.

I would have been what they call an experienced hire, meaning not someone straight out of undergrad or business school. I think the process for experienced hires is a bit more vague, and it seems like most people who land a job here get it through a campus recruiting program.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Palo Alto, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Application, aptitude test, in office interview with several consultants doing case studies and answering personality and work history questions. For the case studies you are given data in the form of a prompt and data and you must then answer questions based on that information. You have a consultant buddy who answers questions about the company and your role and helps you prepare for the interviews.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Very structured process. Overall transparent. Candidate needs to do a fair amount of research and preparation. Case interviews are a matter of practice. The personal fit section of the interviews cannot be improvised.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Case interviews and fit interviews. Generally 2 rounds for the summer associate position with a total of 5 interviews. Each interview will have a case and a fit portion, the fit portion is about 20 minutes and the case is about 25 minutes.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

First step was a multiple choice test. Then I was invited back for a case interview with two people. Then the final round was a case interview with another two people; this time it was more senior folks.

The folks were nice, cordial. A lot of emphasis on case review.

Interview Questions

• Why McKinsey?   Answer Question
    • If the price of subway tokens was doubling at midnight, what would you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

Asked details regarding past experience, main goal was to verify leadership skills and personality quality to make sure you have capability to overcome difficulties, especially in interpersonal aspects. The behavioral part took 20min, and then we went through case interview. It was quite typical McKinsey style of case interview, which you will find on their website.

Interview Questions

• Share your experience when you have a teammate is difficult.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Second round was a long process, half the day with breaks. Three total rounds, each with personal experience and then case interview. Fatigue over the course of the day can make the interview process harder depending on the duration of the breaks. Interviews were all with higher level personnel. No offer, but was notified the same day. The process, including initial reasoning test, first round, and final round, took about 4 months total

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had trouble with a team member?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Los Angeles, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I applied to McKinsey through my college's on campus recruiting office. First round of interviews were a combination of "fit" questions (walk me through your background, tell me about a time you held a leadership position, etc.) before a standard case interview. Made it through to the final round where I met 5-6 others. Each of these interviews in the final round also had a case. McKinsey was very responsive and I heard back later that afternoon that I did not get the offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were in a leadership position.   1 Answer