McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.0

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in November 2013.

Interview

After completing the online application and passing a numerical proficiency test, I was offered an interview. The process comprised two 2-hour interviews back-to-back. They both consisted of one or two general questions about my background, followed by a case study. The case study took the bulk of the time. The background questions asked for a specific situation when I persuaded someone and for a time when I dealt with conflict. They wanted detailed answers about the actions I took in these situations. The case studies followed the standard format found in a variety of textbooks. It was important to have a framework.

Interview Questions

• Can you give an example of when you persuaded someone to see your point of view?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Interview

1 hour problem solving test followed by two back-to-back case interview + fit interview on the same day. In total 3 hour interview for round 1. Prior to the interview, you have a 1 hour call with a Mckinsey Associate to go over two cases.

Interview Questions

• the same fit question was asked for both interviews, i.e. tell us about a challenging team situation and how you responded   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online with resume and other required documents. They seem to be flexible with resume formatting if you are coming from academia (i.e. have a PhD). Staff and consultants during the interview process were super friendly but we were a bit crammed during the test. Other than that not much to complain about.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A very well-organized process. Interviewed by phone then called for the PST, after that I made it up to the 1st round. They gave me feedback which is very helpful.

Interview Questions

• Personal interview and business interview.   1 Answer

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The whole process took about 4 weeks. Applied online, got a phone interview for about 30 mins ( basically fit questions) then got to sit for the PST ( passed although comparatively difficult from the online prep tests). Got called for the first round , which included mostly fit qs and 2 case studies ( really mind boggling, esp if you're not good with math and did not take any finance courses before). Fortunately made it to the second round, but things got harder and i lost my patience (3 more unnecessarily harder cases). Did not make it till the end. The experience was exhausting.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

2 rounds, each with 2-3 interviews.
    1st round: 2 interviews, each with one business case and a few "behaviorial" questions
    2nd round: 3 interviews with partners. Format more fluid usually there's a case, but the partner treats it much more like a conversation than a formal case.

The Case Interview:
    Interviewer presents a business scenario and poses a question (e.g. Company X sells Y and has experienced a decline in profits despite increasing sales. Why?) And you, as the interviewee, has to solve the question. The most important part, though, isn't to just get the answer right but it's to walk the interviewer through your thought process - show them how you approach the problem, why you want certain information, and to keep them abreast of any emerging hypotheses. The intent is for the case interview to replicate a "real world" situation where you are one person on a team trying to solve the problem - good communication with your team members is critical

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to convince someone else to change their behavior   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Kingston, ON (Canada)) in September 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very similar to everyone else's experience - I initially interviewed with one Engagement Partner and then the HR Manager. Both were extremely pleasant - I have no complaints. The company seems like a great place to work at.
    Make sure to case prep! But don't underestimate behavioural questions!

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Initial screening interview with HR and a series of case study interviews:
      - 2 interviews with Associates;
      - 2 interviews with Engagement Manager
      - 2 interviews with Associate Partner and or Partner
    Final decision and offer

Interview Questions

• How many blue cars are running in Madrid now?   1 Answer

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

All projects are niche and focused on life sciences. If you come from a sciences background and want to keep that but work in a commercial environment then IMS Consulting Group is the perfect place for you. A lot of our hires have life sciences, neuroscience, biology, pharmacology or chemistry degrees. We also have graduates with business/economics degrees or Masters in Health Economics.

Interview Questions

• How would your friends describe you as a character?

Name a time you negotiated   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Perth, Western Australia (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Perth, Western Australia (Australia)) in October 2016.

Interview

2 interviews followed by a PST
    Each interview consists of a personal experience portion, followed by case interview.
    The interviewer will ask you many follow-up questions in the personal experience portion, trying to encourage you to talk for at least 15 minutes. This will mostly be trying to uncover motivations behind certain actions and the result of those actions.
    There is also a chance to ask about working in the company in the last 10 minutes of each interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you showed leadership in a team setting   Answer Question