McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2017

3.9

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Was selected for first round on campus interview. Did not make it to the final round stage where you meet with more senior interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team and faced a challenge as a unit? This question was followed by a case study. You then then repeat this progress with the second interviewer to round off the first round. Successful candidates are then invited to the final round set of interviews.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I went to an on-site interview, which was about four hours. It consisted of two parts. The first was a non-technical interview asking about experiences, with a small case at the end. The second was a large case interview. I did not receive an offer, but I liked the people and thought they did a good job of making the interview comfortable and following up later.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have leading a group of people and describe in detail your involvement.   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Interview

Very organized on their part. It is clear that they want you to succeed. They will give you practice tests and case practice, provide time for you to prepare in groups, and even connect you to current consultants to help you prepare for the behavioral and case portions of the interview.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Definitely less intimidating than I was expecting! Both of my interviewers were supportive and helpful even when I struggled with difficult aspects of the case. I didn't love the McKinsey style of delving really deeply into one personal anecdote -- if you don't have a great story to answer that one specific question, you're screwed. However, overall it was a much better experience than I had anticipated.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you dealt with disagreement within a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was similar to other consulting interview in the sense that there was an initial phone screen, a behavioral interview, and a case study. However, I also had to sit for problem solving test and was provided study materials ahead of time. I made it through, but left the room feeling unsure and never actually found out how I scored on the test. The case study should have been in person, but the person interviewing me was offsite so I wound up having the interview over video conference in their NYC office, while the interviewees called in.

Interview Questions

• The problem solving test was hardest for me as the materials to prepare for it were provided by McKinsey, but ultimately, unrelated to the actual test. There were a few questions that could have been answered in a number of ways, but it was a multiple choice format.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Interview

There's resume screening, then I got the chance to revise my office preferences (which I indicated in the application form). The next stage was the first round on-site interview with 2 consultants. The final (or second to the last stage, depending on circumstances) moved on to the second round on-site interview with 3 consultants. Very pleasant experience. The recruiter is very professional and nice.

Typical interviews, and the formats are identical to what McKinsey posted on its website. There are case-coaching sessions right before each round (once one proceeds beyond the first-round). It seems that most APD and Associate hires go through three on-site interviews by default. Undergrad BA hires go through two on-site interviews.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Got an invitation for an interview because of a referral. Spoke to a woman over the phone in the Chicago office about the company and their fit. The interview didn't include any technical questions or a case analysis.

Interview Questions

• Basic fit questions, why did you choose your major, walk me through your resume, how does your past experience fit with McKinsey, what are your geographic preferences, how willing are you to travel, etc   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The interview was great. Described the position, departments, and kind of projects you'd working on. Asked about experience, successes, challenges, and next steps.

Interview Questions

• What would you do with a client that has low employee/staff morale   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in April 2014.

Interview

Initial first meeting was a phone interview for screening. A week later asked to come in for 1 on 3 (senior consultants) interview including math and business case exam. They provided feedback after the interview and had a bit of role playing. Final interview was with partner where he asked more behavioural questions and seeing if it was a right fit. Great conversation with the partner.

Interview Questions

• You are faced with a transformational nightmare, what are the steps to overcome losing the client?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I demanded a salary, they blinked, i offered another salary, they took it