McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 29, 2017

3.9

20 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brasil, São Paulo (Brazil)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brasil, São Paulo (Brazil)) in June 2016.

Interview

It was a very hard process, took around 3 months to get into the final step. The managers will give you more attention that the partners, most of the partners are too busy to attend the interviews and you will probably have 2 or 3 times to reschedule your last interviews.

Interview Questions

• They asked me about my point of views in very different cases. It is hard to explain, since most of the questions are made for one candidate.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Milan (Italy)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Milan (Italy)) in March 2014.

Interview

The interview starts with a written problem solving test, which is by and large similar to the GMAT, but it also involves lots of context on the business situation before getting into the analytical questions. You do not have to score perfectly and depending on the cases you might be allowed on the next rounds even if you fail it. Then you have the standard series of interviews with behavioral&business case questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had to convince other people to follow your idea   1 Answer

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)).

Interview

They (Mckinsey recruiting stuff) told me that I missed the dateline for their recruitment process. Therefore, I have to wait for 2 weeks for them to reply me. After two week, they asked me to seat for PST test. They advice me to prepared for that. I did not get through after the test.

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)).

Interview

The first round is an Aptitude Test, if the candidate is successful they will progress to a second stage, wherein they will undergo two Case Study interviews.

The interviews are in person and back to back, with only a short interval between them. They are divided 50/50 between a Personal Experience section and a Case Study.

Interview Questions

• Personal Experience Questions:

Tell me about a time when you experienced conflict between yourself and another member of your team. How did you handle this situation?

Tell me about a time when you experienced conflict within a group or organisation when you were trying to acheive a specific goal. What steps did you take to acheive this goal?   1 Answer

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)) in September 2016.

Interview

Be patient, the process might take longer than you expect. The first step is the McKinsey PST (go to management consulting if you need prep.) The exam is not easy due to the time limitations. Please prepare for this! After this there are two rounds of face-to-face interviews. The first round is 2 or 3 interviews with a 'fit' side in which they ask you to ell a story (about when you were a leader or worked in a team) For this part, make sure your answers are structured and you have thought about them beforehand. The second part is an interviewer-led case (look at Case in Point or Consulting Interview secrets and practice many cases). If you get called back, the last round is similar to the first round but the cases are less structured and more challenging. Overall, you learn a lot and people are nice. Just note that they have a million things going on so it might take longer than you think.

Interview Questions

• Business cases, stories for the fir interview, and the PST   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2013.

Interview

Interview was with 2 engagement managers and 1 associate partner. I did interviews individually with all 3 of them, 1 hour each, for a total of 3 hours. Each interview started with behavioral type questions (example of leadership, conflict, etc.) and then transitioned to a business case. I got two traditional business cases, and one that was more about estimation/back-of-the-envelope type calculations. Overall, very professional and challenging.

Interview Questions

• Your local post office is considering investing in a machine that can automatically sort mails by their zip code, instead of the current manual process. How would you evaluate whether it's a good decision?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied through on campus recruiting. Was selected for first round on campus interview. Did not make it to the final round stage where you meet with more senior interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team and faced a challenge as a unit? This question was followed by a case study. You then then repeat this progress with the second interviewer to round off the first round. Successful candidates are then invited to the final round set of interviews.   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I went to an on-site interview, which was about four hours. It consisted of two parts. The first was a non-technical interview asking about experiences, with a small case at the end. The second was a large case interview. I did not receive an offer, but I liked the people and thought they did a good job of making the interview comfortable and following up later.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have leading a group of people and describe in detail your involvement.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was similar to other consulting interview in the sense that there was an initial phone screen, a behavioral interview, and a case study. However, I also had to sit for problem solving test and was provided study materials ahead of time. I made it through, but left the room feeling unsure and never actually found out how I scored on the test. The case study should have been in person, but the person interviewing me was offsite so I wound up having the interview over video conference in their NYC office, while the interviewees called in.

Interview Questions

• The problem solving test was hardest for me as the materials to prepare for it were provided by McKinsey, but ultimately, unrelated to the actual test. There were a few questions that could have been answered in a number of ways, but it was a multiple choice format.   Answer Question

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

Interview

Very organized on their part. It is clear that they want you to succeed. They will give you practice tests and case practice, provide time for you to prepare in groups, and even connect you to current consultants to help you prepare for the behavioral and case portions of the interview.