McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Nov 17, 2016

3.8

Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in June 2016.

Interview

After applying online,got an call from McKinsey HR for telephonic interview and asked basic personal experience questions of past job. More about what were the exact responsibilities of mine of past jobs.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2016.

Interview

Was called for a phone screen, and was asked basic questions about salary requirements, why I wanted to work for the company, why I wanted to pursue the role.

The next step was an in person interview in the Boston area. It was 3 separate interviews and one informal chat. It was a 3.5 hour process. All the interviews were case interviews and had a quantitative component. Despite not getting an offer, the people were friendly and very accommodating and it was a pleasant experience. When notifying me of their decision, the HR rep was also very forthcoming in interview feedback for me as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone introduction, followed by first round interviews, which consisted of 3 sections of behavioral type questions and a case study.
    Final round interviews had the same format with senior McKinsey personnel, who had the expectation that you would get better through each round.
    There is an emphasis on how successful you are at the case study. Be sure to be organized and thorough, taking care to explain any thought process aloud.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
      Tell me about a time you failed?
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a team member?
      Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

scheduled a phone interview with technical questions on GIS. after two weeks, scheduled a video interview with senior analyst and research analyst from HQ (two hours). Asked to do the test after the first round interview.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself, what is your weakness/strength, and describe how did you do when you have a disagreement with your teammate.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Interviewed with a senior research analyst. The conversation started off with the typical "walk me through your resume". They were interested in knowing about past programming experiences, as well as general knowledge of current events. It took about 30 minutes in total.

Interview Questions

• What would you expect to see on the front of the Economist next week?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions

• An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Interview

They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Questions

• what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

Got one phone interview from the team leader. It took one month after I applied it online. The person asked about some programing skills and also asked about experience on the resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

Applied online without expecting any answer back. After all, it's McKinsey! Got an invitation to a resume screening a month later and then called in to take the PST at McKinsey office in NY. PST is difficult, especially if you haven't done any math in awhile (like me). Somehow I passed, got invited to first round of interviews. 3 interviews one hour each. Interviewers are extremely nice and helps you to be relaxed. They'll ask you about your interests, but don't get TOO relaxed. Expect random case study questions based on your interests. Case study is not just with one person, but expect to do a case study for all 3. Didn't make it to the final round, but still a great experience! Extremely respectable firm and you can tell that people here are extremely intelligent and will motivate and challenge you.

Interview Questions

• Determine the bell curve for the music records industry in the next 8 years   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waltham, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Waltham, MA) in February 2013.

Interview

Applied online at the McKinsey site for the NAKC generalist research analyst. Received email asking to set up a phone interview with HR. Quick 15 mins reviewing my resume, asking salary requirements; HR made sure that I knew that this is NOT a consulting role and asking me to go to my nearest McKinsey office to take the McKinsey PST. PST is tough but you are given a study guide and there are 3 practice tests on the McKinsey site to help you prepare.

After passing the PST you are invited to a first round interview that consists of interviewing with 3 researchers of various levels. Very structured process...1. deep dive into your resume 2. specific question asked regarding some experience/leadership/ambiguous situation and you have to walk through STAR method style. Details are KEY!. followed by a short typical strategy consulting case.

After passing round 1, invited to round 2 (final round)....similar to round 1 except with managerial level people.

Process dragged a bit but was kept in the loop so communication was great during the process. You will face roughly 6 cases and 6 resume deep-dives.

Overall a pretty thorough process and seems similar to the consulting side except the bar maybe a bit lower but it is still high.

Negatives: Location very unlike other McK offices. Feels like you are an 'after-thought.

Positives: if you want to move to the consulting side bad enough, you can do it through research if you excel and put in the hours. Free drinks/snacks. Young and diverse office though the feel is definitely different than a McKinsey consulting location (people and atmosphere wise).

Interview Questions

• Know your resume, experiences, how to do arithmetic/math with paper/pencil under pressure. The cases from a strategy point of view are not too tough.   Answer Question