McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Research Analyst Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2010.

Interview

it was a video interview from the NYC Corporate Finance office. Really technical questions and even asked how the rate of cost will change according to a scenario. I knew formula but still got it wrong. You have to have a strong background in financial modeling and valuation. I read the Mck Valuation book, which was really good written but you still have to have real experience to work well in a case study. You also need to have a general knowledge in the energy industry, like coal, cold and currency. When it was my turn to ask, I asked how to solve the question and my answer was at the opposite…

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in October 2010.

Interview

The initial stage was a written test consisting of questions based on basic mathematics and reasoning and general knowledge. The subsequent rounds were 1:1 interviews with the HR, Research Team lead in that order. This was followed by a computer skills test (excel mainly) and then 2 more rounds of 1:1 interviews with head of divisions and members of the senior management.

Interview Questions

• Explanation of complex economic terminology in the most basic of language so as to check grasp on knowledge,   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Interview

HR called to see if I'm interested in the RA role rather than BA role. A case coaching session was scheduled that weekend. Two Mondays later, there was a case interview over the phone. Was called back for a series of in-person interviews and an IQ test the Friday of the same week. The following Monday, interviewed again at the local office. Three days later, went in the office one last time for a series of interviews. Offer extended that day.

Interview Questions

• Business cases in general. There was an expectation to improve from round to round.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Interview

Did not hear back from months, then got an email 3 months later asking for a call. recruiter told me she wanted to discuss the position in more detail and wanted to see if I had a writing sample I could provide. I suggested that we have a brief call, so we could see what was required, and after, I'd be happy to provide a sample--would be easier to provide something that was appropriate after that call. (in this time I was also told by a friend that research positions at McKinsey were not well respected from within). She started the call asking about my 2 most recent positions. I spoke about them, even focused on my communications and writing experience. Then said to me that 'as I expected, you are not qualified for the position." And that was the end of it.

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview

the selection process included a written test and 3 rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions

• On what basis would you compare 2 retail banks?   1 Answer

Negotiation

it offers the highest salary in industry.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in February 2010.

Interview

Very thorough and rigorous process

Interview Questions

• Give an example to a Chi Square distribution in real life...   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very fair process

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Gurgaon, Haryana (India)) in January 2016.

Interview

7-8 rounds. 1 test..which covers majorly case studies, 2 rounds focused on analysis, knowledge, 1 round with Hr, 1 with partner, 1 with director and last with Hiring leader. The process covers all areas and you cannot fake around. Be well prepared. They will test each and every skills of yours.

Interview Questions

• Market Sizing Questions, Current Industry Trends, Market Scenario   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in April 2016.

Interview

Phone Interview first, questions were mainly focused on your past experiences - be sure to know what to talk about in your CV

Moved on to the next round in the McKinsey office in Brussels. 2 behavioural interviews with two different people and 2 case discussions.

Interviewers were very professional, asked all the right questions. Case discussions were challenging, be sure to have very structured answers. Problem solving test was included as well, practice is required because you have a short time frame to complete 26 questions!

Didn't get an offer but I must say it is one of the best interviews I've had.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were faced with a challenge and how did you overcome it   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Moscow (Russia)

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Moscow (Russia)) in December 2015.

Interview

Interview took place in Moscow (Russia). I was interviewed by 3 different people, each interview was approximately 1 hour long. Everyone was nice and friendly, Nothing unexpected: traditional questions during fit interview (recall the situation when... - usually about difficult situations in working in teams) and case interview. They told me their decision whether they hire me or not at the sam day, 25 min after the last interview.

Interview Questions

• tell me about youself, recall situation when... (usually a lot of questions about working in teams)   Answer Question

Negotiation

ok

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Singapore (Singapore)) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by On Site Interview. Case Interview on Market Sizing followed by in depth behavioural interview. Offer was made in a few weeks. Very smooth and profession interview process.

Interview Questions

• Case interview: Market Sizing   1 Answer

Negotiation

Non Negotiation