McKinsey & Company Senior Implementation Coach Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 7, 2017

3.8

10 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2017.

Interview

The process:
1) Online application.
2) Contacted by HR recruiter via email within 2-3 days.
3) 30 min HR phone screen that asks questions around motivation to join and lays out the process and salary range.
4) Optional 120 min+ case interview coaching WebEx (offered twice a month to all candidates).
5) 60 min 1-on-1 phone coaching session with firm alum for phone case interview.
6) 30 min go/no-go phone case interview with a firm alum.
7) 60 min 1-on-1 phone coaching session with current firm consultant for 1-on-1 case interviews.
8) 2x45 min 1-on-1 in-person go/no-go interviews in the same day at a different office than the one you applied to (1 could be via video conference in a room in that office). Each interview is: 5 min background exchange and ice-breaker + 10 min personal experience (1 prepared story highlighting leadership, conflict management, influence, etc). The format is: I want you to take some time to think of a story that highlights your ... then you pretend to think about it for 10-20 secs and start telling. Half way through your story the interviewer will interrupt and ask for a random detail. + 30 min case interview.
9) 3X similar interviews to #8 in the same day at the office you'll be joining. These should, but not always, include partners.

Note: some interviewers will try to distract you and/or act rude (e.g. check their phone/laptop while you're talking or constantly interrupt you). This is supposedly done to test your reaction to a difficult client!

My experience: One of the best organized HR teams I ever interacted with, despite the process being one of the most inefficient and redundant I've ever seen. It's a mutual waste of firm's resources and candidates' time (and money for those seeking paid coaching). I personally felt the interview process was 1-dimensional, too naive, and easy to game with enough practice and access to google search. I constantly felt like my industry experience worked against me and that I needed to turn my memory off and approach the case the way a fresh college grad would (and for some odd reason without access to a calculator). I finally understand why the firm gets so many applicants, rejects so many, and manages to retain very few. I personally decided to halt the process after the 1st in-person round (for better industry options) and later received the feedback that my case performance didn't meet the bar to move to round 2 anyways.

My advice to candidates: If you're an experienced candidate, the implementation practice may seem like a perfect way to join a very prestigious firm and at the same time put your industry experience to good use. Also, if you've just earned a part-time or executive MBA, it may seem like a ticket to a job typically reserved for full-time ivy league or M7 MBAs. The truth is: 1) The interviewers absolutely don't care about how much experience you have and they won't even ask you questions about it. So think carefully about how valuable you will be to the firm as opposed to other companies in the industry. 2) These positions pay about $30k less than their superior associate (generalist) cousins. So think again! 3) These positions involve heavy Monday-Thursday travel every week for 9-18 straight months per engagement. 4) Even though it's advertised as partner-electable, all the implementation engagement managers and associate principles I interacted with were associate (generalist) hires who were later promoted into the implementation practice. I met no one who made it past Senior Implementation Coach. 5) The case interview is still "ALL" what matters - even if the recruiter tries selling you on the fact that you've been selected due to your outstanding experience or wonderful career achievements. Unless you've worked as a consultant or have previously practiced case interviews, you'll need to invest many many hours in preparation. The current process treats every case interview the same regardless of the position you're interviewing for (i.e. generalist vs experienced). Which means your interviewers will be judging you based on the bar set by many full time and less experienced candidates who have the time and resources to practice and perfect their case interviewing skills. The few coaching sessions the firm offers would hardly move the needle for most experienced candidates; so carefully weigh out the pros and cons before you consider applying and committing time and effort into the process.

Interview Questions

• Prepare 3-4 stories that cover areas of leadership, teamwork, entrepreneurial drive, personal impact, influence, and conflict management.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Several rounds of interviews - all include case and PEI.
    Feedback was very vague from final round - most focused on case performance.
    Would not interview with this company again as they claim to provide support but in actuality provide very little in terms of preparation and feedback.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you had to lead a team through a conflict   Answer Question

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2017.

Interview

The overall interview process was great, though long. Officially there were three rounds of interviews, but I approached every interaction with the company as though I was being evaluated. There were a lot of interactions. This was positive though as it affirmed to me that this company was the right one for me. At a minimum I would assume that it would take 6 weeks from application to final interview.

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Long and drawn out process, but that was communicated right at the beginning. Me personally, I didn't like the prolonged uncertainty. It took me 2.5 months to hear "No" and I hadn't gone through the whole process! Everyone I dealt with was nice and helpful, at least that's how they made you feel.

This is how it all unfolded:

1) Contacted by HR via email a month after submitting my application.
    2) Phone conversation with HR - discussed resume and one example of a time when I earned trust. We went on to discuss the role, location, pay etc. It was an easy conversation.
    3) If you haven't had any exposure to Case Interviews, HR encourages you attend a Webinar that walks you through it.
    4) Had a 1 hour coaching session over the phone on Case Interviews with an Ex-McKinsey employee (30 mins of actual interview and 30 mins discussion)
    5) 30 minute phone interview (only case) with another Ex-McKinsey employee where they evaluate you. Feedback is provided by HR the next day.
    6) Next comes what they call Round 1. You can request another coaching session before this round. Round 1 was on-site with 2 one-hour interviews. These were with an Engagement Manager and an Implementation Coach. The interviews included a case study and one single behavioral question that they dug into the details on. I agree with a previous poster - I think it was a good cop/bad cop routine or something. One interviewer made me feel very much at ease while the other kept cutting me off and got me a bit flustered.

This is as far as I got, but from what I was told by others I met at the on-site, the next and final round involves 3 one-on-one interviews with Implementation Leaders/Partners in the same format as Round 1.

In hindsight, I feel that the feedback they provided during case interview coaching is too vague. I felt I did better on the cases in the on-site than over the phone. Regardless, when HR called to tell me I didn't make the cut, they said I did well in all aspects except in the case. I didn't develop a good structure and close out the case properly. I wasn't quite sure what that meant, but I was not given that feedback during the earlier coaching sessions. Seems like they are looking for candidates with a certain "je ne sais quoi" to join their rarefied ranks (No, I'm not bitter!).

Since I didn't make it due to my bad performance on the cases, I would recommend focusing on them A LOT. McKinsey definitely seems to value the case performance over previous experience, which seems counter intuitive, but I suppose they know what they're doing.

Out of my 3 evaluative cases, 2 were operational (manufacturing capacity etc) and one profit & loss. I was hoping to rely on my past experience in dealing with the cases, but that was not enough since there is a particular approach they want you to follow.

Interview Questions

• -Time when you led a team through a difficult process.
      -Time when you worked overcame issues with a difficult individual.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in November 2016.

Interview

The interview process was a total of approx 3 months which included 1 fit interview with HR, 2 case interviews over the phone, then 2 in person interviews (5 total cases with 5 people). I was also given several tools and practice interview rounds with McKinsey alumni.

Interview Questions

• Solve a case and provide experience examples (leadership, problem solving)   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

1) HR/Recruiter touch base call
    2) 30-min case interview on phone ( The firm provides 1:1 case coaching to candidates)
    3) 2 or 3 1st round 1:1 interviews (video conferencing or in person; standard case interview structure "15min behavioral + 30min case + 15min Q&A")
    4) 2 or 3 2nd round 1:1 interviews with parter or director ( similar format as above)

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2016.

Interview

3 case interviews, 2 experience interviews. Nice people, but overall the 2nd worst interview experience I've ever had.

I went through the final round. The first couple rounds were case interviews. Then there was combinations of both experience and case. The final interview was via webex, with a man with a heavy international accent. Audio issues occurred throughout, and the overall interview was generally inaudible. On top of that, the interviewer failed to track time, leaving only 7 minutes to work on the case (which you're supposed to have 30 minutes on). I informed the recruiter of these issues following the interview. He said he'd look into it, but then I was rejected outright with incredibly general feedback that I couldn't possibly use to improve going forward. When I asked for specifics, I was told I didn't respond well enough to the coaching within the case interview, which pretty much ignored that neither myself nor the interviewer could hear each other for most of the interview, and the fact that we raced through the case due to the interviewer's failure to monitor the time. In fact, I even mentioned in that initial call that the interviewer had to continuously ask me if I was there because he couldn't hear me, and I was very unsure whether he heard my formula or explanations giving what little I heard of his responses. It was thoroughly and utterly confusing.

Overall, I guess my advice is to pray you get a good interviewer who is live rather than a

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in May 2016.

Interview

Recruiter Screen (1 hr)
    Phone Case (30 min)
    Round 1 - 2 interviews - PEI and Case (1 hour each)
    Round 2 - 3 interviews - PEI and Case (1 hour each)

Utilize the case prep they provide to you each round. If you are working full-time, go at your own pace (my whole process was 3.5 months). The PST is not required, but is helpful for practicing chart synthesis. Don't memorize frameworks!! :earn how to develop issue trees. My final round cases were didn't follow any of the standard frameworks.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you lead a team through a difficult/challenging situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 9+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Standard Interview Process: 1) 1 hour phone discussion with HR, 2) 1 Coaching Session, 3) Phone Interview, 4) In person interview with PST, 2 case interviews, 5) Final Round interview with 3 cases.

I'd say that this is a huge time investment for a very little chance of being hired.

Interview Questions

• Just the standard Business Cases. You need knowledge in business, don't let them fool you on your web site. Mergers/Acquisitions, Profit problems, Outsourcing Problems, etc...   Answer Question

Senior Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Dubai (United Arab Emirates)) in May 2016.

Interview

3 rounds - screening, rd 1 and rd 2. each interview has a fit (PEI ) and case. all about structuring case and problem solving, 6 interviews in total. your specific background does not matter but it is all about how you react in typical business situations (I am an ops person and mostly got market entry, market share increase questions)

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time where you overcame a difficult stakeholder   Answer Question