McKinsey & Company Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a coding challenge, then proceeded by 2 phone interviews. Both were simple - behavioral, talk about your experience, and walk me through your code in the coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• Can you implement a music search engine using the spotify api?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

45 minute phone screen running through my resume and talking about past projects. There were multiple people on the call with me and the connection was poor, which I think hurt me, as there were awkward delays between conversation.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to convince a member of a team that you were part of that your way of thinking was correct.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied and received a coding challenge on hacker rank with 3 questions. Seemed to be an emphasis on geometrical questions. If you are good at geometrical type coding challenge questions you will probably do well.

Interview Questions

• One question was to calculate the shortest distance between two lakes in a matrix of ones and zeroes where the land was ones and the water was zeros   Answer Question
    • Some basic, nontechnical questions like how would you email your boss to ask their opinion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through online. A week later I got an Interview request with one of the Engineers working with that company. He starts asking questions about the previous experience and area of interest. Following that a coding question. It was not a hard question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2017.

Interview

There were 5 rounds in total. First coding round with 3 questions followed by the code pairing rode in which you need to explain the logic before you proceed to code. Code pairing had only one question. Then there were 2 technical rounds followed by HR.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 strings. Output the number of characters need to be removed from first string to make them anagrams.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2017.

Interview

On Campus Interview.

Round 1: Coding Round. 3 questions, hackerrank test. questions were of moderate level. Practising from hackerrank would help in clearing this round.

Round 2: Code Pairing Round.

Round 3: Personal Interview round based on your resume and your basic knowledge of DSA.

Round 4: HR Round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

There were three rounds, first was the coding round and second was the code pairing round in which you will be accompanied by Mckinsey employee. third and fourth round were face to face interviews.

Application

Interview

The first round had 3 coding questions. 2 were observational problems, one was DP. Next round had something called code pairing, where i was paired with the Mckinsey digital's employee and both of us had to solve a coding problem togeather. further we had technical interview and HR. They asked more about databases and designing ER diagram.

Interview Questions

• Design an ER diagram for generating bill in retail shops.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vellore (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Vellore (India)) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied at Mckinsey Digital labs via university . I was a 4 step process.
    Round 1:- 6 coding questions on HackerRank. The problems were divided in three levels Easy , Medium and Hard. 2 questions was cutoff.

Round 2:- In this round we were paired with one of the Mckinsey's crew . Again it was a coding round, we had to discuss our problem solving approach with the other person. This round was comparatively easy to crack , they were not bothered with checking the actual output here.

Round 3:- It was face to face technical interview . The interviewers(3 in my case) were very good .
    Question were on database design and modelling schema to a class in java or c++ or any other language. Questions on project were also asked . The interviewers were very polite.

Round 4: Again Tech interview

Round 5:- HR

I got eliminated at round 3

Interview Questions

• Interview was mainly about Database design, designing schemas.
      Also they asked on what technology you would like to work in the future.   Answer Question