McKinsey & Company Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

I just gave a hackerrank challenge until now. Consist of 4 questions which needs to be solved in 90 mins. One coding question, one sql query, one http get request code, and one short email writing question.

Interview Questions

• Coding question was fizzbuzz   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Denver, CO) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied through one of the job boards for their Software Engineer position in Denver, CO. Process took around 1 month. First step was talking with their sourcer on phone for 30 minutes. He asked about my experience and then told me more about their team in Denver, CO. Then I was transferred to their recruiter and here the process became a pain.

I talked with her on phone for 30 minutes. This call was almost a copy of my previous call and I failed to understand the intention for it. She asked my exact same questions and I gave exact same answers. Then she told me I would need to do paired programming exercise with one of their engineers as part of the technical assessment step.

I had to follow up around 5 times before the paired programming interview was setup. The recruiter and her associate were so hard to get response from that I had lost all the hope of hearing from them. Then suddenly one day, associate reached out to me to setup paired programming test.

Paired programming was a good experience. Engineer I was working with was very collaborative, friendly and kept the process smooth. I explained him my solution to the problem and he agreed to it being good solution. Then I implemented my solution and it worked for most part but we ran out of time. But he told me repeatedly that it was good solution and should work for the problem.

Then again came the wait and follow ups with associate and recruiter to get the feedback for my interview. No response from them for over 1 and half week. Then I got email saying they don't want to move forward. I was surprised to be honest since my interview had gone really well.

I asked to share feedback but no response from them. This company needs to hire recruiters and associated people with some communication skills. Candidates spend some serious energy to prepare for interviews. At least show a courtesy of telling them what went wrong. I would never interview for them again given opportunity.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to create a function that makes http get call to retrieve some data and then scans through the received data to get value of particular key. Function then returns an array containing all the extracted from api response.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied and received a coding challenge on hacker rank with 3 questions. Seemed to be an emphasis on geometrical questions. If you are good at geometrical type coding challenge questions you will probably do well.

Interview Questions

• One question was to calculate the shortest distance between two lakes in a matrix of ones and zeroes where the land was ones and the water was zeros   Answer Question
    • Some basic, nontechnical questions like how would you email your boss to ask their opinion.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Seattle, WA) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied through online. A week later I got an Interview request with one of the Engineers working with that company. He starts asking questions about the previous experience and area of interest. Following that a coding question. It was not a hard question.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

45 minute phone screen running through my resume and talking about past projects. There were multiple people on the call with me and the connection was poor, which I think hurt me, as there were awkward delays between conversation.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time that you had to convince a member of a team that you were part of that your way of thinking was correct.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in February 2015.

Interview

It was a coding challenge, then proceeded by 2 phone interviews. Both were simple - behavioral, talk about your experience, and walk me through your code in the coding challenge.

Interview Questions

• Can you implement a music search engine using the spotify api?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bengaluru (India)) in August 2017.

Interview

There were 5 rounds in total. First coding round with 3 questions followed by the code pairing rode in which you need to explain the logic before you proceed to code. Code pairing had only one question. Then there were 2 technical rounds followed by HR.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 strings. Output the number of characters need to be removed from first string to make them anagrams.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Bengaluru (India)) in July 2017.

Interview

The first round had 3 coding questions. 2 were observational problems, one was DP. Next round had something called code pairing, where i was paired with the Mckinsey digital's employee and both of us had to solve a coding problem togeather. further we had technical interview and HR. They asked more about databases and designing ER diagram.

Interview Questions

• Design an ER diagram for generating bill in retail shops.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2017.

Interview

On Campus Interview.

Round 1: Coding Round. 3 questions, hackerrank test. questions were of moderate level. Practising from hackerrank would help in clearing this round.

Round 2: Code Pairing Round.

Round 3: Personal Interview round based on your resume and your basic knowledge of DSA.

Round 4: HR Round.

Application

Interview

There were three rounds, first was the coding round and second was the code pairing round in which you will be accompanied by Mckinsey employee. third and fourth round were face to face interviews.