McKinsey & Company Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Specialist Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

4.1

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2018.

Interview

Applied through online and asked to interview within a week. I did a phone screening interview. The first impression was not good, it seems the recruiter did not check which position she was interviewing for. Overall, it was ok.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Specialist Interview

Interview

Initial phone screen. Four in person interviews. Very focused on behavioral interview and problem solving. The interviews were one on one or two on one. Final interview was with line manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe mistake you made and corrective action you took.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in September 2009.

Interview

Got in touch with me after i posted my resume on the career site. Initial phone screen followed by a practice round of case interviews. Another 2 case interviews on the phone, then a kind of functional interview, then round 1 on-site which were 4 interviews. Then final round on site with again 4 interviews.... Exhausting process but wonderfully helpful folks. Too bad i wont have a chance to work with them.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2018.

Interview

The process was long and challenging but ultimately rewarding. I was first contacted by a recruiter. I then had two phone screenings - one with the recruiter and one with a member of the team. After that, I was asked to apply with a cover letter, resume, and coding sample.

Then came a series of 5 interviews. The first one was just 30 minutes - it was similar in style to a case interview but more heavy on data science and within my field of expertise. Then came two 1-hour long interviews over video. The first one was almost exclusively a data science case. The second one was the classic personal experience story / business case combo.

Then, for the final round I had two more interviews. The first was in person and the second was over video. They were both the personal experience / business case interview style.

In a way, the interview process is much more challenging than many interviews because you need to problem-solve and think through solutions on the fly. However, in another way, the interview is easy in the sense that McKinsey is incredibly straightforward with what they want from you. They provide tutorials on the process and clearly spell out what is expected from you. They even set me up with a one-on-one coaching session with an ex-McKinsey employee so that I could get feedback on my case interviews. At times I certainly felt like I was a round peg that they were trying to jam into a square hole, as I don't have any business experience and was asked to solve business cases. However, in the end, it all worked out. I got an offer and am very pleased with the outcome.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you were part of a team and had to convince others on the team to take a different approach.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (London, England (UK)) in August 2017.

Interview

3 rounds
    1 - telephonic case interview
    2 - 3* in-person interviews

Terrible experience.. one interviewer clearly was not interested in the interview. She gave a bad review, the third interview was very industry specific. It could be answered better with prior experience.
    Their recruitment process is long and they do not provide good feedback. Just basic feedback like: communication, structuring, problem solving. It isn't helpful at all.
    There should be a check on the power one of the interviewers have (due to her position) on the selection of a candidate. Expected more of the company, if they grill the candidates so much, they ought to atleast give detailed feedback.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Singapore (Singapore)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Singapore (Singapore)) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview process was grueling - first round was a 26 question test. Was every bit like GMAT! 2.5 minutes per question!

The interview rounds were also pretty aggressive. Requires the interviewee to tackle up to 2 cases solving it end to end with a pitch! I will recommend some consulting interview practice to anyone who is interested. This will be the most effective performed with someone who is in the practice.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chennai (India)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chennai (India)) in October 2013.

Interview

Online Application. Initial Call, 1to1 Discussion, Negotiation, Offer roll out and acceptance

Interview Questions

• This being the 3rd company in less than a year, How do you see yourself as a stable person or why should we consider in you being a person who will stick to this job   Answer Question

Negotiation

Recruiters are open negotiable for a reasonable Win Win Situation

Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2012.

Interview

Went through a referral. First was a recruiter screen followed by a phone case (2 weeks later). 2 weeks after that I had my first round which included 2 1:1 with EMs and a PST. Both interviews included a case and a fit portion. For the final round, it was with 3 Partners. Very interesting interviews with a healthy mix of cases, experience examples, hypothetical situations as well as helpful information form the interviewers. Also coaching sessions before the phone case and before the final round were very helpful.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated joining date.