McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online 2 weeks before the November deadline. I made sure to email the recruiter and ask some non-stupid questions to get on their radar. I heard back for an interview 3.5 weeks later. There was no Problems solving test or phone interview. There are only 2 rounds of interviews for the summer associate spot in the USA.

Prior to the interview, they have a few conference calls for practice cases and information, but they are moderately helpful. Its most useful for just interacting with the firm and learning what they find to be important.

Round 1 was at the office closest to my school. There were two in-person interviews consisting of the standard 10-20 minute personal fit questions and 30-40 minute interviewer-led case interview. I was interviewed by 2 second year associates. I got positive results back one week later. One of my interviewers called back with feedback and suggestions for improving my case structuring. Also, I got a few congratulations calls/emails from McKinsey people including a partner, which is really nice and helps you feel special. Everybody seems to want you to do well.

Round 2 was at the office I requested about 3 weeks after first round. I was interviewed by 2 Associate Partners and 1 Senior partner for the standard fit questions + interviewer-led case. I feel like these interviews were more about coming across as cool, calm and collected person, who isn't a boring loser. At this point, its already clear you can do cases. Pick fit interview stories and tell them well enough that you make them say or think wow/that's interesting (you can see it in their eyes and reaction). The cases were not more difficult than others I had seen before. The one thing that was different is that the partners tend to push you along at a quicker pace during your presentation of your structure and math. It is okay to make 1 or 2 minor math mistakes throughout the day, just don't panic over it. Most of the pressure at this stage will be self-imposed because of nervousness, the partners were really nice. At the end, they will usually give you a chance to ask questions. Make sure to ask questions that will spark a conversation that you can learn from or convos you can guide to make you look well-rounded.

I received the results ~1.5 hours after my last interview. The senior partner called and told me the news and all the others in the room cheered in the background. It gave a really nice impression of the firm and its leadership.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you have to work with difficult individual in a group...
    Talk about a time you had to work against a tight deadline...
    Talk about a time you had to convince a person/group to take a different approach...   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Two Rounds with cases mixing behavioral questions and cases.

- 1st round: Two 45-minutes interviews with Consultants/Managers
    - 2nd round: Three 45-minutes interviews with Partners from the Region where I was applying

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to change course halfway through a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone of your point of view   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview was a standard case plus PEI process. However, all that is a farce. A girl from my school got in because of nepotism. Her close relative is part of the senior-most leadership. This girl had not done any casing practice and has no consulting background. She has no problem-solving abilities nor structured thought process. Everyone was shocked how she got the offer. Nobody guessed that McKinsey & Co promotes nepotism but it's clear now.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

It was two rounds of interviews. Each with a consultant. The interview was about 1 hour long, consisting of 15-20 mins PEI and 25-30 mins case. At the end, you could ask 5 mins of questions.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in January 2014.

Interview

Extremely rigorous interview process with high expectations for behavioral and case interview performance. McKinsey receives 400k+ applications for ~4,000 slots each year so the pre-interview resume screens are also very tough (e.g. uni pedigree, test scores, work experience)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you led a team through adversity without the formal authority to do so.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied through APD track. The first round was the written test and a group case interview with two other applicants. The second round was two set of 30-minute case interview and personal interview. The case interviews are something that you absolutely need to practice for some time, regardless of your background and confidence. They expect you to demonstrate your ability according to their criteria.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with people with different opinions on an important issue at work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2016.

Interview

First round in Boston where my school is (non-MBA professional school) then in NY for the second round. First round consisted of McKinsey Problem Solving Test and a mock case interview; the second round consisted of two interviews, each interview consisting of a case interview and a personal questioning session.

Interview Questions

• Why I'm interested in consulting with a non-MBA degree/non-business background   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

McKinsey has a very open and welcoming interview process. The people are amazing and they are really trying to know you as an individual so don't expect any variation on the interview front.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2014.

Interview

I went through on-campus recruiting at business school (MBA level). Interactions began in October and interviews were held in late January. Interactions with the firm started with a presentation on campus and eventually turned into one-on-one emails and phone calls. The interview process consisted of two rounds, held just a few days apart.

The first round consisted of two 50-minute interviews. Each first-round interview consisted of 15 minutes of personal experience discussion, 30 minutes of a business case, and 5 minutes of questions. Each interview was administered by someone who had been at McKinsey for at least 2 years (senior Associate or Engagement Manager).

The second round consisted of three interviews in the same format as that of the first round interviews. These three interviews were held with employees who had been with McKinsey at least six years (Associate Principals or Principals, i.e. partners).

The decision was given in the evening of the same day as the second round interviews.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you challenged yourself. (I outlined my story.) What were the three biggest challenges for you? (I listed them). Why were they challenges? (I answered.) Okay, that story sounds like it'll work. Let's begin.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Started with info session for summer internships for APD's (advanced professional degrees, e.g. PhD, MD, JD etc, but not MBA) on campus late November-early December. Applied for the summer internship and got invited to 1st round, IWIA, at the local office which involved the PST (Problem Solving Test) and 2 group interviews. PST was 26 questions that you had to answer in 60 mins. Lots of info available about it online. We were told that we will just be evaluated for the PST and that group interviews are for practice purposes. However, once I passed the PST, I was assigned a buddy and she was able to provide me w/ feedback from those sessions, and you can ask them for more details. The results were given 2 days after the test and I was shortly invited to 2nd round interview at the regional office (e.g. Chicago for all midwest locations). It was ~3 weeks between the 1st and 2nd rounds and they shared the contact info of everyone who passed so we could practice together. Also, at this point, you can finalize your office selection (up to 8 offices). They also held multiple workshop through Cisco webex. One was a group case interview and there were some where different offices tried to have you choose them in your preferences. You can also ask for a phone interview with your buddy. Sadly, my buddy did not do one with me.

Round 2 was two 1-hour interviews. 15 mins personal experience (PEI) where they ask you questions, sometimes related to your CV. Do check their website, b/c they ask you questions mainly from 3 categories: achievements, leadership, and challenges. You can easily find most of the questions on their own website and other places online and it's good to have 3-4 stories for each category. Then, you spend ~30 min on an interviewer-led case. Again, detailed info available online. At the end, if you have time, you can spend 10-15 asking questions from them. You should know that these last mins are as important as the rest of the interview.

The only negative part of my experience was how much I needed to wait to get the response for the 2nd round and at the end I was not passed to 3rd round. We were told that we should get the results anytime within the 2 weeks after the interview. All my friends got their results (positive or negative) 1-2 days after the interview. However, in my case, they missed their own deadline and finally I had to email the recruiter for the results. One of my interviewers called me 3 days after that. Be sure to ask them for detailed feedback in case you are applying to other firms. The feedback you receive for round 2 is the most valuable.

Finally, we were also told during the info sessions that 3rd round is just like 2nd round but with 3 cases as opposed to 2 and with more senior people (principals, partners, or directors) and would be at one of the offices you chose.

For me most of the experience was positive. Their HR is a force to be reckoned with. They make you feel like a part of them as you go through the process. The only negative experience for me was to wait more than 2 weeks for a rejection. However, all the consultants were very nice and especially my interviewer who returned to me was very helpful. I feel like you learn a lot just going through the interview process. However, if you get rejected once, they recommend that you at least wait 18 months before reapplying.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was unexpected. Most info, especially for PEI, is available online.   Answer Question