McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Summer Associate Interview

Interview

1st round consisted of two interviews, each with a case and personal experience component. Interviewers were friendly and the process is highly standardized so all candidates have a similar experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you influenced a team or a person.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2020.

Interview

Four interviews the same day for the Mexico City Office. They first ask you fit questions and then you go into a case. A few candidates and I received feedback on our fit questions, they seem to be very important

Interview Questions

• Check the webpage of McK, they outline 4 things they are looking for. Each interview focuses their questions in one of them.   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2019.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting. Submitted a resume and cover letter and was accepted for first-round interviews. Two back-to-back in-person 45-min interviews with 15 min of PEI and then a three-question interviewer-led case for each interview. Interviewers were very nice and encouraging.

Interview Questions

• How do you work in a team? What were your thoughts?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2019.

Interview

I applied for the Mexico Office. I sent my resume, and after one month they invited me to the next face that was one day of four interviews, each one half personal and half business case.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

Everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. You really couldn't tell how you were doing in the interview process. The Personal Experience Interview was an interesting conversation diving really into depth about a particular experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had disagreed with your team.   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2018.

Interview

I applied online 2 weeks before the November deadline. I made sure to email the recruiter and ask some non-stupid questions to get on their radar. I heard back for an interview 3.5 weeks later. There was no Problems solving test or phone interview. There are only 2 rounds of interviews for the summer associate spot in the USA.

Prior to the interview, they have a few conference calls for practice cases and information, but they are moderately helpful. Its most useful for just interacting with the firm and learning what they find to be important.

Round 1 was at the office closest to my school. There were two in-person interviews consisting of the standard 10-20 minute personal fit questions and 30-40 minute interviewer-led case interview. I was interviewed by 2 second year associates. I got positive results back one week later. One of my interviewers called back with feedback and suggestions for improving my case structuring. Also, I got a few congratulations calls/emails from McKinsey people including a partner, which is really nice and helps you feel special. Everybody seems to want you to do well.

Round 2 was at the office I requested about 3 weeks after first round. I was interviewed by 2 Associate Partners and 1 Senior partner for the standard fit questions + interviewer-led case. I feel like these interviews were more about coming across as cool, calm and collected person, who isn't a boring loser. At this point, its already clear you can do cases. Pick fit interview stories and tell them well enough that you make them say or think wow/that's interesting (you can see it in their eyes and reaction). The cases were not more difficult than others I had seen before. The one thing that was different is that the partners tend to push you along at a quicker pace during your presentation of your structure and math. It is okay to make 1 or 2 minor math mistakes throughout the day, just don't panic over it. Most of the pressure at this stage will be self-imposed because of nervousness, the partners were really nice. At the end, they will usually give you a chance to ask questions. Make sure to ask questions that will spark a conversation that you can learn from or convos you can guide to make you look well-rounded.

I received the results ~1.5 hours after my last interview. The senior partner called and told me the news and all the others in the room cheered in the background. It gave a really nice impression of the firm and its leadership.

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you have to work with difficult individual in a group...
      Talk about a time you had to work against a tight deadline...
      Talk about a time you had to convince a person/group to take a different approach...   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2018.

Interview

The interview was a standard case plus PEI process. However, all that is a farce. A girl from my school got in because of nepotism. Her close relative is part of the senior-most leadership. This girl had not done any casing practice and has no consulting background. She has no problem-solving abilities nor structured thought process. Everyone was shocked how she got the offer. Nobody guessed that McKinsey & Co promotes nepotism but it's clear now.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

McKinsey has a very open and welcoming interview process. The people are amazing and they are really trying to know you as an individual so don't expect any variation on the interview front.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Two Rounds with cases mixing behavioral questions and cases.

- 1st round: Two 45-minutes interviews with Consultants/Managers
    - 2nd round: Three 45-minutes interviews with Partners from the Region where I was applying

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to change course halfway through a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had to persuade someone of your point of view   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2017.

Interview

It was two rounds of interviews. Each with a consultant. The interview was about 1 hour long, consisting of 15-20 mins PEI and 25-30 mins case. At the end, you could ask 5 mins of questions.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you led a team?   1 Answer
    • What was a challenging situation that you faced?   1 Answer
    • I cant reveal the case, but they were about profitability and cost reduction   Answer Question