McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor

McKinsey & Company Summer Associate Interview Questions

Interviews at McKinsey & Company

3.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in March 2008.

Interview

First round test a la GMAT followed by group case "discussion" (don't be fooled you are being rated)
Second round : three interviews : part case, part behavioral : relatively easy if you're any good.
Third round : three interviews : part case, part behavioral : It gets tougher.
Final round : four interviews, 4 hrs straight. Five to ten minutes in between interviews so stack up on the carbs before hand. I was on a roll but burned out in hour 3 and that was the end of me.
It was a very positive experience overall. They provided a mentor who called me once a week for case practice.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you successful resolved a team conflict.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in March 2011.

Interview

Round1, part 1, written test. 26 multiple choices on 3 cases in 60mins. Mostly about logic and quick number calculation. I finished 23 and made guess on last 3. Second part, 2 breakout workshop on case interview with consultants. This part is suppose to be a minor part in your first round assessment.
    Round2, three 1on1 interview. 15mins personal experience+45min case interview. Tell the interviewer a story about a conflict with collaborators. Cases are leaded by interviewers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time your have a conflict with your collaborator(s) and how you resolved it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Exactly as described online; PST + 2 case interviews (1st round) + 3 case interviews (2nd round). Spend as much time preparing for the behavioral portion as you do for cases.

Cases were slightly longer than other firms, and the 2nd round cases were harder.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Initial communications included a few calls with people from the office and a dinner in early November in the city in which I live. There was not too much recruiting involved, I just talked to some folks at the office and some former business analysts at my school. First-round interviews were at McK's office in the city in which I'm studying. Three cases, all of them very structured and covering different areas of businesss (marketing, operations, strategy) and industries. Second rounds were in NY a couple of days later. Three cases, completely different than the first round (much less structured). The offer was given that same day in the evening.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you found a hen that lays golden eggs?   2 Answers

Negotiation

The offer was great. No reason to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

First Round had two interviews one conducted by a senior associate and another by an engagement manager. Both lasted 45 minutes. First 10 minutes is fit interview where they ask one question and then deep dive into it. This is very different from other consulting interviews where they may ask 2-3 different questions about different scenarios. For e.g., At McKinsey, I was asked "Tell me about a time you were frustrated in a team" followed by multiple questions asking about how I felt in this situation, how I thought the other person felt, how I may have reacted differently etc. Fit questions are followed by case where it is very unstructured. You do not get time to make a framework and it is the typical McKinsey command and control format.
    Second Round had 3 interviews, all with partners. Same format.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in January 2012.

Interview

Fair and exactly what you expect it to be. The most structured of the big three firms

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in January 2013.

Interview

The recruiting process at the school was enjoyable and positive. They make a real effort to let the students know about the company and to get to know the people.
    There were two interviews, each 45 minutes long. The interviewers were pretty poker-faced, didn't help out too much, and were actually quite intimidating, and not very personable.
    They say that they're rooting for you and they're trying to help, but it really doesn't feel that way in the interview. If I didn't tell them exactly what they wanted, they would look upset and would not make any effort to push me in the right direction.

Interview Questions

• The first case was a little unusual, the second was pretty standard.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online and was invited to the McKinsey office to take the PST test with several other candidates. We took about 45-min to do the PST test and then broke into small groups sessions with McKinsey associate. We had a total of 2 group sessions. Each group had about 5-6 students with one Associate and we went through a case study.

Interview Questions

• No personal questions, we just went through a case study as a group.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The recruiting process through my school was fairly straight forward. After being selected to interview, Mckinsey held a "power round" which consisted for 4 back to back interviews with individuals ranging from Assocate through Partner. Each interview was a combination of case and behavioral. There was no second round interview, and many people heard back about a decision the day of.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you led a team through a difficult situation.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

As part of a non-target school, the interview process prep was not very intensive, but most people involved were nice and helpful. The first round consisted of 2 45 min interviews (behavioral and case). They try to be very calm and nice throughout the process, although they are not very forthcoming with feedback right away.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to demonstrate leadership, making sure it is not something that was solved in one meeting.   Answer Question